Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #29
vernal

Drives: 2010 2SS ABM 6M;1992 5.0 LX Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
The best thing to do is lower your expectations. Seriously, your not out there trying to set an NHRA Super Stock record on national TV. For just street night at the local strip in a stock car, on street tires, a so-so not damaging anything launch, is just fine. You might lose a tenth or two by not having that perfect clutch smoldering 60 ft time, but so what.

No line lock, stock street tires = you don't need a burnout.

Drive around the water. If not possble to drive around the water, just get them spinning in the water and roll out spinning them good. If you stand on the brakes and try to brake tq these cars you will smoke the clutch and the differential clutches.

On the launch, low RPMS, 2 - 2500ish maybe, on the last yellow let the clutch out fairly quickly. Not a dump that shocks the tires, but not slow enough that it slips the clutch, just a quick release. Then roll into the throttle. The objective is zero tire spin. If the tires spun, either too hard into the throttle, or shocked the tires too much dumping the clutch too fast.

If you take it easy on the clutch on the launch and shifts, you can practice all night long. High RPM clutch slipping launches, burnouts, speed shifts, your clutch will be toast in a couple runs.

Forget your car has a launch mode. Its about as useless as those POS sun visors and ambient lighting.
I'm hopeful a 2grand slip won't overload the clutch too badly, your technique sounds like the right way to do it I just haven't been able to figure out how to do it myself.

I'm thinking about getting some slick-soled shoes (like bowling shoes!) to try to articulate the gas pedal better. When I try to hold low rpms ive had trouble getting my foot back to the top of the pedal to floor it. My first two runs had really slow trap speeds, and that was when I figured out that the pedal wasn't going all the way down the way my foot was positioned. I just got the Service Manuals, so I'm going to look through them to see about increasing the resistance of the gas pedal so I can articulate it better. As of now, I'm only able to precisely articulate the clutch.

vernal is offline   Reply With Quote