Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
RubberChicken

Drives: 2011 IBM 1LT w white Rally Stripes
LT to SS?

Hey guys. I know this will sound like a stupid question, but I guess I'm looking for some pre-buyer's remorse butt kicking.

I've had my IBM 1LT since last year and have loved it. The V6 engine does a great job when I step on the gas and with the cold air intake the car sounds a lot meaner. I would like to have a sun roof or even a convertible and manual transmission.

So the last two weeks I've not been able to get the SS off my mind. Especially the manual transmission. I saw a 45th anniversary SS with the gray/red rally stripes and fell in love. I used to own a '93 Dodge Stealth with manual trans and that engine was only a 3.0 litre. But I loved that car to the day the engine block cracked.

My question is - how much of an improvement in performance is the 6.3 V8 over the 3.6 V6? I know the 6.3 will probably take off and leave my ass in the far left lane when I step on the gas, but I'm looking for general ideas on the transition.
RubberChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Just did the V6 to V8 upgrade last month. Best decision I've ever made. Do it, you will not regret it. If the V8 is on your mind, it'll never get off your mind until you get one. Trust me...

And yes, there is a huge performance upgrade. The V6 can definitely haul ass, but the LS3 kills it. I'll never look down on V6's, but it's just a different animal than the SS.
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
parkermoeder

Drives: 2011 Camaro ss
its a 6.2 dont to sound like an ass and yeah if its on your mind it wont ever not be. make the switch well as long you dont put your self in a bad money situation
-Stainless Power headers
-Cold Air Inductions Intake
-Blue oracle halos
-Satin black ZL1 replicas
-315 invos and other cosmetic mods
parkermoeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Well first... the SS is a 6.2 L, not a 6.3. I had a 2012 1LT for eight months and traded it fo my current 2013 1SS. My 1LT had a sunroof and I believe you can get them as a ragtop so if that's your main thing you'd change, you can still get it in a V6 (I think).

I loved my LT. It was fast, fun, and got decent mpgs (it was an automatic). But even though the LFX is one kick-ass V6, I couldn't help but always feel it was still missing 2 cylinders. I've had V8s all my life (with a few exceptions due to driving a lot for work and wanting to maximize mpgs) and I just had to trade up to the SS version.

As far as the differences go, well... the 6.2 will certainly put you back in your seat considerably more than the 3.6. I think the things (mods) you can do to the engine are probably more than with the V6, and the potential gains in RWHP/Torque increases are significantly more. Other than that, the basic car is the same (in my opinion).

Oh yeah - the permagrin is bigger with the SS. (one for each cylinder).
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Here we go again, this time I am going to change things up.

Do it!

Last edited by nyrfan; 10-10-2013 at 03:20 PM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
John E

Drives: 2014 2SS rs 6M
This is a "no brainer".
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkermoeder View Post
make the switch well as long you dont put your self in a bad money situation
Yes. That is something to consider as well. If your finances and maintenance budget can afford the extra cost.

Don't forget the little things like: 1) the SS takes 8 quarts of oil instead of 6. And 2) the SS runs on premium gas instead of regular (which typically runs you 30 cents or more per gallon above regular). Also 3) depending on your age and driving history insurance may be a good bit more, not to mention the larger note if you are financing.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 10-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
Agregs

Drives: Soon to be Camaro LT manual
I'm in that same debate right now whether to get an LT or SS. NO DOUBT it would be nice to scream with the SS, but as a daily driver and a long commute the V6 is looking better for economical reasons right now. Very tough decision!
Agregs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
RubberChicken

Okay 6.2 Sorry. Thanks for everyone's input so far! Yes, the decision is a no-brainer as far as grin factor and general badassery. I guess I was more looking for how people felt who made the switch from the V6 to V8 and what they noticed most.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberChicken View Post
Okay 6.2 Sorry. Thanks for everyone's input so far! Yes, the decision is a no-brainer as far as grin factor and general badassery. I guess I was more looking for how people felt who made the switch from the V6 to V8 and what they noticed most.
Does not get much simpler then this:

and this

Old 10-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
the car has to fit your needs. If your need is for speed and premium fuel do the SS. Assuming you can park the car in a safeish location. It's your decision and good luck!
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Here we go again...
Yeah, but I can tolerate this kind of redundant thread because it's a fellow member looking for support/opinions on whether he/she should upgrade (and why).

It' the "How many quarts of oil does my engine hold?", and the "Where's my battery?", or the "How much air should I put in my tires?" threads that drive me nuts. Things that are in your Owner's Manual or can be easily answered by doing a search.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
Just did the V6 to V8 upgrade last month. Best decision I've ever made. Do it, you will not regret it. If the V8 is on your mind, it'll never get off your mind until you get one. Trust me...

And yes, there is a huge performance upgrade. The V6 can definitely haul ass, but the LS3 kills it. I'll never look down on V6's, but it's just a different animal than the SS.

what he said pretty much sums it up, had everything on my v6, lt, cams. tune, but its simply does not have the base power of the v8 nor the aftermarket of parts/ I loved my v6, but I have no regrets going to an SS. its def worth it
mydreamcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #14
RubberChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Yeah, but I can tolerate this kind of redundant thread because it's a fellow member looking for support/opinions on whether he/she should upgrade (and why).

It' the "How many quarts of oil does my engine hold?", and the "Where's my battery?", or the "How much air should I put in my tires?" threads that drive me nuts. Things that are in your Owner's Manual or can be easily answered by doing a search.
Cheers, man!