Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-28-2014, 12:37 AM   #127
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Fortunately they came to their senses and reversed the terrible decision they had made against the race winning Ferrari. There was no contact.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #128
JAZ

Drives: 86 Mustang GT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777 View Post
Not only will it be de-tuned by about 100hp, it also won't have the CC brakes, the 305 tires or the Multimatic shocks.
But that isn't really a surprise since it's been mentioned many times before that these things wouldn't be allowed in competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
Which I understand on keeping costs down but isn't that what road racing is? The teams with the best equipment and staff usually are on top. I would think if allowed it would force the other big name manufacturers to step up and play. Perhaps force them to advance the technical side of the sport a bit more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
its to keep it fair, thats why there are salary caps in NHL, NFL, NBA, Look at all the rules in the NHRA rulebook for their classes. It makes it so that it always isnt the person with the deepest pockets, best tech that will always win, it keeps the playing field level.
I'm not sure it's just cost or fairness. It's about keeping fan interest and gate receipts high. If one manufacturer goes all out to make a dominant race car and leads the field every race, would you be interested in that race series if you had a different favorite brand? Probably not.

The race organizers strive to make all brands competitive at reasonable and comparable cost so that many more fans will show up and cheer for their favorites.

No fans > no gate receipts > no prize money > no race teams > no racing!
JAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:01 AM   #129
JAZ

Drives: 86 Mustang GT Convertible
Anyone have any real info on the size of the restrictors used on the Camaros. I understand the Boss 302s (finished 7th, 8th, 9th) all had 57mm restrictors and the Camaros had 80mm restrictors. That doesn't sound accurate.
JAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #130
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
The phrase you all are looking for is Balance of Performance. The only class of Sports Car racing that I can think of that lets a race car developer go wild is the Le Mans Prototype 1 class in the World Endurance Championship, e.g. the Audi R18 e-tron Quattro. Development of those cars costs multiple millions of dollars.

Every other class of car under IMSA, FIA or ACO rules is heavily restricted in terms of engine output, weight, wheelbase dimensions, etc. There is more to a race car than just horsepower and tire width though. Look at the development that Corvette Racing has done on their cars over the years and how that has shaped the new C7 Corvettes.

I'm hoping that now we have "factory backed" teams running the Z/28.R we'll see more trickle down race tech in future Camaro models.

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #131
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJanowich View Post
The phrase you all are looking for is Balance of Performance. The only class of Sports Car racing that I can think of that lets a race car developer go wild is the Le Mans Prototype 1 class in the World Endurance Championship, e.g. the Audi R18 e-tron Quattro. Development of those cars costs multiple millions of dollars.

Every other class of car under IMSA, FIA or ACO rules is heavily restricted in terms of engine output, weight, wheelbase dimensions, etc. There is more to a race car than just horsepower and tire width though. Look at the development that Corvette Racing has done on their cars over the years and how that has shaped the new C7 Corvettes.

I'm hoping that now we have "factory backed" teams running the Z/28.R we'll see more trickle down race tech in future Camaro models.
An excellent point about the trickle down of racing tech. This is the distinction that makes a difference, and what separates Ferrari, with many decades of racing experience and product development, from some of Ferrari's competitors.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #132
BULLITT65

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Manual, Aqua Blue
Ok new to posting on the forum, but - Why does each stevenson z/28.r car have a different front end ? Do you have the option on the 2014 to have the 2013 headlight package?
BULLITT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #133
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
more picts https://twitter.com/cksautosport
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #134
Doubleblank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2014 Z28
Stevenson is an excellent team but I wouldn't expect to see the Z/28 on the podium right away. We raced two 2010 SS Camaro's (built by Riley Technologies) in Grand Am in 2010. When a new car enters a series, they are generally restricted in hp, weight minimums, etc to ensure you don't burst on the scene and start winning. Each series expects the teams to "find speed" by fine tuning a new car via testing and racing. After enough race data is collected, the series MIGHT start making adjustments in the first year to allow you to be more competitive. It took several blown engines by us and Stevenson to get Grand Am to allow us to install better pistons (not for hp but for longevity). You wouldn't believe how political the whole process is. We switched to the Pirelli World Challenge series in 2011. Same process there. But the Camaros are now competitive in that series (Lawson Aschenbach and Andy Lee).
Old 01-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #135
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleblank View Post
Stevenson is an excellent team but I wouldn't expect to see the Z/28 on the podium right away. We raced two 2010 SS Camaro's (built by Riley Technologies) in Grand Am in 2010. When a new car enters a series, they are generally restricted in hp, weight minimums, etc to ensure you don't burst on the scene and start winning. Each series expects the teams to "find speed" by fine tuning a new car via testing and racing. After enough race data is collected, the series MIGHT start making adjustments in the first year to allow you to be more competitive. It took several blown engines by us and Stevenson to get Grand Am to allow us to install better pistons (not for hp but for longevity). You wouldn't believe how political the whole process is. We switched to the Pirelli World Challenge series in 2011. Same process there. But the Camaros are now competitive in that series (Lawson Aschenbach and Andy Lee).
Given what I've been reading about what the Prototype teams have been through in the TUSC, I'm not at all surprised at how political it is. Seems that the old Grand-Am and NASCAR people are trying to over regulate the series. I'm sure that kind of attitude is trickling down to the Continental series as well.

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:59 AM   #136
Robbreptile

Drives: 2003 Chevy Blazer ZR2
I just posted some of the new and previous camaros from the Continental Challenge in the motorsports forum. Feel free to download and share.
Robbreptile is offline   Reply With Quote