Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-02-2014, 01:04 AM   #1
int0xic

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Exclamation Non-RS to RS headlights frying computer

I bought some rs headlights for my non-rs 2014 Camaro SS M6. The guy from the parts department at my local dealership comes in and I tell him I bought some headlights plus the Gen5Diy wire harness for the Camaro and he practically freaked out on me. He told me about a non-rs 2013 Camaro SS that tried splicing in the wires for the RS headlights and it fried the car's computer. They replaced the car's computer (not knowing how or what happened) and it fried again within minutes of turning the car on. They realized headlights had been changed but he noted that the instal on the lights was "very professional" and that it looked factory until you really looked at the wires. Is this a problem he didn't add the extra fuse like Gen5Diy wire harness? Or does the RS headlights draw too much power for the non-RS computer. I just need to plug the new lights into my Camaro but now I'm kind of scared of breaking the car/lights and being out a lot of money. Does it make a difference since I have a 14 and the other Camaro was a 13? Has anyone ever had this happen to them or heard of this happening? Was it more than likely just because the other Camaro just spliced the wires in? Any info would be nice.
int0xic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:18 AM   #2
IBM camaro
Texas HT5

Drives: IBM
I hope that is not the case my car fried about 4 BCMs because of some thing I was running an HID kit and led everything lol so I didn't know what caused it but everything went back to stock and now I'm doing the non RS to RS mod and if this is the case I will not be doing it anymore 2011 camaro non rs is what I have.
IBM camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:32 AM   #3
Dorwd71

Drives: 2016 2SS
I have been running the non RS to RS mod for close to two years now with Gen5DIY's harness, and (knock on wood) I have not had any issues whatsoever. Still have my original computer.
Dorwd71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
IBM camaro
Texas HT5

Let's keep getting feed back from other people who have done the conversion or from Ofer
Old 10-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I've never heard of anyone running gen5diy non-RS to RS harnesses and experiencing a problem.
I have the non-RS to RS harness from them and have never had a problem, you will not have a problem I can guarantee that is not what happened and the dealer's mechanic does not know what he is talking about, or the kit was not a gen5diy
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
I know this is coming from me so you dont have a believe me, but i have had the same harness on my 2010 for 3+ years, with out burning out any computer, with that said in the OP the dealer said.

Quote:
He told me about a non-rs 2013 Camaro SS that tried splicing in the wires for the RS headlights
You cant splice the wires with out knowing what your doing.

PS as soon as i can get all the work done on the headlights on my 2014 car i will post the non rs to RS conversion on a Z/28, dont think any one will do that if a harness was going to kill the BCM.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #7
IBM camaro
Texas HT5

I think that was part of my BCM issue that's why I'm going factory instead of the after market set up I had
Old 10-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #8
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
I did both ofers harness and ran a retrofit before that and never had any issues

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #9
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Non-RS to RS headlights frying computer

I'm soon to be doing this mod shortly. Good to know of this info. Post before and after pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #10
IBM camaro
Texas HT5

Same here

Tags
frying, gen5diy, headlights, non-rs