Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #1
nvydvr

Drives: 2015 Red Rock ZL1
1LE needs ZL1 Advice

I have a 2015 1LE/2SS/RS that I custom ordered and am extremely pleased with. The handling is absolutely phenomenal, but I am craving more power. Granted I can cam it, long-tubes, supercharger and meth...etc... but I am leaning towards the 2017 50th anniversary ZL1 (hopefully there will be one). My question is this: the 1LE is only available in manual and I love working the gears. I know the automatic is silly fast and it has paddle shifters, but it's just not the same. What is everyone's feelings and/or recommendations if I were to eventually order one? Pros/cons... I'm in no way a serious racer or anything... I just like having fun so I'm really leaning toward the manual...
nvydvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #2
CoveyZL1

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1 "SIM" M6 650rwhp
Manual all the way... Your connection between driver and car diminish by heading down the auto route... Manuals are kinda going the way of the dinosaur, so it's kinda nice to still see true bred sports cars still around. Autos are faster and more consistent however I would much rather replace a clutch than a transmission... Just my opinion... Good luck with your decision
CoveyZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #3
Cabinetman

Drives: 2015 ZL1
I prefer driving a manual and would go that route unless my ZL1 was a daily driver. I have a long commute in fairly heavy traffic so an auto would be my preference if I only had one vehicle.

I don't race so I don't care if my stick is a little slower than an auto. The driver engagement is a bigger factor for me. I've had cars with DCT transmissions that shift very fast, but I still get more enjoyment out of a manual. Hopefully the next generation ZL1 will still offer that option.
Cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:28 AM   #4
TobysZL1

Drives: ZL1 Gone but not Forgotten!
I had a 2013 manual ZL1 with just under 600 rwhp. Now I have a 2013 ZL1 auto with a little over 600 to the wheels. Not only would of I made my manual my bitch but I truly enjoy driving it ten times more then the manual. With a proper tune and the added mods there is nothing like it. Pure beast. My manual was a garage queen, weekend warrior. My auto I drive everyday during the non winter months, except when it's raining.
The manual was fun but shifting got old for me after shifting these kind of cars for 20 plus years.
The autos are just to good now a days, thats why manufacturers like Ferrari and Porsche are doing away with manuals all together, actually I think they may have already.
Comes down to personal preference though and I will tell you I'll never go back and I also consider myself an excellent manual driver.
My auto shifts like a manual without bull shit clutching in and clutching out and I have do none of the work.
The paddles are good, not great but very adequate. I expect the paddles to be even better in the next gen.
Bottom line is your going to get a lot of mix reviews on which one people like , but it's just that. What they like!
At the end of the day there really is no wrong choice in this awesome car.

By the way I had a 2013 1/LE SS/RS as well before getting my first Z. It was full bolt ons, tvs 2300 supercharger, and cam'd . Car put down 622 rwhp. It was an awesome car and handled great but it still lacked what the Z was, even when the Z was in stock form.
Good luck man!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
TobysZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Got a M6 SS I love the interface, so that being said I've been promised a new Vette when I turn 50 (few years to go) but I've decided that it will be a auto car just out the pure ease of driving plus the wife thinks the manual SS is too viscous. So depending on what you want an what your willing to deal with as you get older would drive that decision for me. Ill still have the SS to bang the gears but for easy cruising give me the auto vette....
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:06 PM   #6
CurtiSSWatson

Drives: Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobysZL1 View Post
By the way I had a 2013 1/LE SS/RS as well before getting my first Z. It was full bolt ons, tvs 2300 supercharger, and cam'd . Car put down 622 rwhp. It was an awesome car and handled great but it still lacked what the Z was, even when the Z was in stock form.
What did it lack, if I may ask?
CurtiSSWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:41 PM   #7
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
I had a 2013 manual ZL1 with just under 600 rwhp. Now I have a 2013 ZL1 auto with a little over 600 to the wheels. Not only would of I made my manual my bitch but I truly enjoy driving it ten times more then the manual. With a proper tune and the added mods there is nothing like it. Pure beast. My manual was a garage queen, weekend warrior. My auto I drive everyday during the non winter months, except when it's raining.
The manual was fun but shifting got old for me after shifting these kind of cars for 20 plus years.
The autos are just to good now a days, thats why manufacturers like Ferrari and Porsche are doing away with manuals all together, actually I think they may have already.
Comes down to personal preference though and I will tell you I'll never go back and I also consider myself an excellent manual driver.
My auto shifts like a manual without bull shit clutching in and clutching out and I have do none of the work.
The paddles are good, not great but very adequate. I expect the paddles to be even better in the next gen.
Bottom line is your going to get a lot of mix reviews on which one people like , but it's just that. What they like!
At the end of the day there really is no wrong choice in this awesome car.

Good luck man!

Toby, your getting old.....suck it up and shift the manual which is really the only way to have a muscle car! lol
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:55 PM   #8
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
Imo, nothing out there like the connection between a manual car and its driver. You can 100% take credit for the performance of the car as opposed to just cruise in it as a passenger.

Manual, all the way!
Old 09-17-2015, 10:44 PM   #9
TobysZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYBORG View Post
Imo, nothing out there like the connection between a manual car and its driver. You can 100% take credit for the performance of the car as opposed to just cruise in it as a passenger.

Manual, all the way!
I beg to differ there's something about the connection with a women's vag... well you know what I mean ... way more then a manual car. Lol!

Yea it's such an accomplishment to be able to clutch in clutch out your left foot while playing with a stick. Real hard! Any moron could do it. The only real connection you have to shifting a manual is that if the computer in the car could talk it would say man you shift like shit, please let me show you how it's done. Lol Lol...
The best part of the whole manual versus auto debates is mod for mod I will beat any manual ZL1 in my auto. And thats not a guess..straight fact.
That and the manual guys are always so insecure. I love it!

Old 09-17-2015, 10:45 PM   #10
TobysZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Toby, your getting old.....suck it up and shift the manual which is really the only way to have a muscle car! lol
Wanna race there Dan?
Lol....

Old 09-17-2015, 11:33 PM   #11
CoveyZL1

Quote:
Wanna race there Dan?
Lol....

You don't spend $56,000 on a car to put in drive and let it choose when to shift for you. Yes any "moron" can clutch in and out but instead of being so condescending why don't you keep your opinions to yourself and we will continue to have an adult discussion.

Jesus... and the Golden D-Bag award goes to...,
Old 09-17-2015, 11:38 PM   #12
TobysZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveyZL1 View Post
You don't spend $56,000 on a car to put in drive and let it choose when to shift for you. Yes any "moron" can clutch in and out but instead of being so condescending why don't you keep your opinions to yourself and we will continue to have an adult discussion.

Jesus... and the Golden D-Bag award goes to...,
Lol Lol. King insecure! Lol, go play with your little stick. Did your leetle feelings get hurt. Man up sissy!!

By the way I'll give my opinion where ever I see fit!

Old 09-17-2015, 11:46 PM   #13
CoveyZL1

Quote:
Lol Lol. King insecure! Lol, go play with your little stick. Did your leetle feelings get hurt. Man up sissy!!

By the way I'll give my opinion where ever I see fit!

Not insecure in the least bit... Just goin out on a limb and guessing your original Z probably got repossessed so you had to snag your roommates'... I mean parents cosign to pick up a loan on an Auto Vert Z... Sounds more like you settled... Hopefully your "roommates can maintain that 800 fico after you renig on this one... I might shed a tear seeing your awesome Auto Vert getting flatbedded in my rear view... Goodnight lil guy... Btw, that is one sweet car bed.... Lololololololol
Old 09-17-2015, 11:53 PM   #14
TobysZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveyZL1 View Post
Not insecure in the least bit... Just goin out on a limb and guessing your original Z probably got repossessed so you had to snag your roommates'... I mean parents cosign to pick up a loan on an Auto Vert Z... Sounds more like you settled... Hopefully your "roommates can maintain that 800 fico after you renig on this one... I might shed a tear seeing your awesome Auto Vert getting flatbedded in my rear view... Goodnight lil guy... Btw, that is one sweet car bed.... Lololololololol
Are you for real! Lol Lol.....
What a loser!
This is exactly what I'm talking about, the manual owner with major insecurity issues. He has to type stuff like this, complete blah blah stuff that makes no sense cause he is so insecure in his manhood. I love it !!
Grow up little guy!