Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

View Poll Results: Who wants the HUD system available ASAP?
Yes! GM, I want my HUD system available ASAP!! 119 81.51%
No, I do not care the HUD. 27 18.49%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2008, 01:54 PM   #29
linkwpc
The punching cat

Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyZ28 View Post
Actually it is perfect for a street car, see when you get into a red-light race you dont have to glance down at your gauges to see your tach and speedo, thus preventing serious mistakes at speed. And making your friends go oooh and aaah is one of the reasons people buy Camaro's.
+ 1 ! good point!
linkwpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:33 PM   #30
Z/28orSs

Drives: 2000 ss
i would like to have one but im still saving for my down payment if any of you guys would like to donate to me ill be happy to take some cash or how about some job offers so when i i can get my maro i can get a hud to ?
Old 10-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #31
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Doesn't matter, the HUD will be standard on 2SS in 2011.
Do you have any idea how far away 2011 is????

AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:13 PM   #32
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyZ28 View Post
And making your friends go oooh and aaah is one of the reasons people buy Camaro's.
Dude, that's the best quote I've read here in ages!!!
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #33
GamerGuyZ28
5TH GEN BURNOUTS!

Drives: 95 Z28, and a 2000 Z28
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Dude, that's the best quote I've read here in ages!!!
well thank you, i try
GamerGuyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #34
Alarick

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
In the GMC Acadia the HUD is a $350 option, why would it cost anymore in a Camaro?
No idea why it would cost more, and did not know it would be included with the 2011 2SS package.
Just figured if it cost beyond X amount that the cost would out weigh the cool factor.

As much as I would love to say "Either put it in the 2010 Camaro, or I'm waiting till next year to buy" my current daily driven Camaro is getting up there in age and mileage, so it's time for a new car, HUD or not.

However if GM pulls that rabbit out of their hat for the 2010, I will be a very happy camper.
Alarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #35
swifttal

Drives: '91 Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
if they dont have the hud in the car they aren't going to pay extra to put a hud specialzed winshield in, thats just common sense.
Well that's my main question (which I don't know why I'm asking this early in the game)... it isn't a different windshield, possibly just the tinting film that goes on the inside. Actually looking at the vette pictures, the tinting doesn't look any different than the rest of the windshield...

But rather that guess and speculate I guess we'll just wait and see

Last edited by swifttal; 10-16-2008 at 09:51 PM.
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #36
linkwpc
The punching cat

Old 10-18-2008, 04:02 PM   #37
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Don't want it, don't need it, just another piece of techno crap that makes the car cost more and something else that can screw up after the warrenty goes out and cost a bizillion dollars to get fixed...

(I just think for a street car it is not needed, just something to make your buddies go "Oooooh".)
False argument. The tech has been on GM cars since the 80s. I have yet to see the HUD go wrong on C5s that are almost 10 years old.

This is an article from 1998 about the 1999 MY C5s.

"Lastly, we have the Head-Up Display (HUD), clearly the most technically innovative new feature for next year. A Corvette HUD has been under development since the early C4 era. In 1985, in a move to gain technology transfer, GM bought Hughes Aircraft, a major defense contractor. One of the assignments Hughes got was adapting military aircraft HUD technology to GM's automotive products.
Steven Stringfellow, a Hughes engineer with a background in aircraft instrument panels, lead the project and one of the first attempts at putting an economically-feasible, head-up display in a GM car was done on a Corvette. While this development version was well-received, the production, C4 structure behind the instrument panel would not accommodate a useful HUD. The idea was shelved for Corvette and rolled into the development of the GM10 program, which arrived in 1988 as the then-new, W-platform. Both the Pontiac Grand Prix and the Olds Cutlass had HUD's designed by Hughes and manufactured by AC Delco. In 1992, a "Gen2" HUD debuted in the Pontiac Bonneville.
By 1993, Stringfellow was working directly for GM in an advanced electrical design group. A Chevrolet marketing executive, Dr. Fred Gallasch, approached Dave Hill with information supporting Chevrolet's position that customers wanted an HUD in the car. The case for a HUD was further reinforced when the digital vs. analog speedo debate (another one of those differences of opinion and frank exchanges of views, perhaps?) at the Corvette Launch Center resulted in an almost 50/50 split the cluster went analog and the HUD would provide digital speed. It was put on the list for the 1999 model year (MY99) and Stringfellow was brought into the C5 development group to work, initially, on the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) and the Driver Information Center (DIC) for MY97 and subsequently on the HUD.
C5's Head-Up Display is the fourth generation GM HUD. It is brighter and can display more information than previous versions. The unit was designed by Stringfellow's group and Nippon Seki, the manufacturer of the car's IPC, was awarded the manufacturing contract after ACDelco's bid was rejected due to high cost.
The hardware resides in a small well ahead of the instrument panel and projects its image, via a vacuum fluorescent display, on the inside of the windshield. The HUD is positioned such that the display reflects off the front glass and into the driver's field of view. It appears to hang in space just below the driver's line of sight. Its basics are: digital speed, graphic RPM display, a choice of 3 gages, turn signals, high beams, a check gages warning and a shift light. The unit can be formatted, by holding down the page button, to show:
  1. speed only,
  2. 2) speed and gage,
  3. 3) speed, gage and RPM
  4. 4) speed and RPM or
  5. 5) just RPM.
Tapping the page button switches between oil pressure, coolant temp and fuel gages.
You can judge the HUD two ways, as a convenience option and as a performance driving aid. For convenience, it's easy to get used to the HUD as a constant driving "assistant". There it is, seeming to floating out there about 100 feet in front of the car. You never need to look down at the IPC to see your speed, rpm or to check if your blinkers are on. All you do is drop your line of sight a tiny bit and you see that bluish display. One thing we like about the HUD is, while a lot of data is available, only the basics are default-displayed, the rest is user-selectable. We, also, like the controllability of the HUD. The user can set the display's format, position within a moderate range and the brightness, all with controls that are easy to reach. They are located on the left of the IPC trim where, since 1997, there was a styled plug.
If the C5's HUD has a weakness, it is the shift light feature. At the media program at Indianapolis, after introducing the '99 Hardtop, Chief Engineer Hill discussed the HUD. He emphasized the shift light feature as a performance driving aid, similar in nature to shift lights used in road race or drag race cars. My evaluation later that day, in a performance driving situation of the type deemed by Hill as ideal for the HUD shift light, found the feature lacked visibility.
I tested the light in the default choice of HUD data by accelerating in second gear. I intended to upshift when we saw the light in my peripheral vision, however, I never saw it and the LS1 hit the rev limiter. I tried again, looking directly at the HUD as the engine neared redline. This time I saw the light, but couldn't find it until too long after it came on and the motor tagged the fuel cut-off, again. The light is so small, it seems to get lost amongst the other data. I found out later, in emailing with Stringfellow, that the HUD can be set to show the shift light without the graphic tach display and he says it stands out more when not nestled up against the tach bars, however, in my opinion; it still needs to be a contrasting color or at least made several measures brighter than the surrounding parts of the display."

That's the 4th Gen HUD.

This is a video of the 5th Gen.

I'm of the believe that the reason the car won't be getting the HUD at all until MY 2011 is because the 6th Gen HUD is still in development and GM doesn't want to waste the money tooling the cars for the 5th Gen when they know they'll have to switch mid generation. Retooling after only 2 model years is just ridiculous (even though Audi seems to be okay with it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingincamaro View Post
question can you move the hud ummmmm projection? right? to be able to see it better?
Yes. You can move it, dim it, and select different display types.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #38
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I don't care how long it takes. I'm not used to the HUD. People who are used to the HUD get dependent usually. GM has put so much work into making a pretty dash that I'd rather look at my classy gauges than a projected data screen. Besides, it takes away the stripped out appeal of my 1SS.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #39
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
I want the HUD yes, but I want a V8 more. If I have the money and we get word that the V8 is going to be gone soon, I'll be getting an SS ASAP!
Old 10-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #40
linkwpc
The punching cat

here is a a little old video about the HUD and how it looks and works in C5 corvette.

I think the car would just be better with it, then without it...
Old 10-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #41
swifttal

Drives: '91 Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
False argument. The tech has been on GM cars since the 80s. I have yet to see the HUD go wrong on C5s that are almost 10 years old.

This is an article from 1998 about the 1999 MY C5s.

"Lastly, we have the Head-Up Display (HUD), clearly the most technically innovative new feature for next year. A Corvette HUD has been under development since the early C4 era. In 1985, in a move to gain technology transfer, GM bought Hughes Aircraft, a major defense contractor. One of the assignments Hughes got was adapting military aircraft HUD technology to GM's automotive products.
Steven Stringfellow, a Hughes engineer with a background in aircraft instrument panels, lead the project and one of the first attempts at putting an economically-feasible, head-up display in a GM car was done on a Corvette. While this development version was well-received, the production, C4 structure behind the instrument panel would not accommodate a useful HUD. The idea was shelved for Corvette and rolled into the development of the GM10 program, which arrived in 1988 as the then-new, W-platform. Both the Pontiac Grand Prix and the Olds Cutlass had HUD's designed by Hughes and manufactured by AC Delco. In 1992, a "Gen2" HUD debuted in the Pontiac Bonneville.
By 1993, Stringfellow was working directly for GM in an advanced electrical design group. A Chevrolet marketing executive, Dr. Fred Gallasch, approached Dave Hill with information supporting Chevrolet's position that customers wanted an HUD in the car. The case for a HUD was further reinforced when the digital vs. analog speedo debate (another one of those differences of opinion and frank exchanges of views, perhaps?) at the Corvette Launch Center resulted in an almost 50/50 split the cluster went analog and the HUD would provide digital speed. It was put on the list for the 1999 model year (MY99) and Stringfellow was brought into the C5 development group to work, initially, on the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) and the Driver Information Center (DIC) for MY97 and subsequently on the HUD.
C5's Head-Up Display is the fourth generation GM HUD. It is brighter and can display more information than previous versions. The unit was designed by Stringfellow's group and Nippon Seki, the manufacturer of the car's IPC, was awarded the manufacturing contract after ACDelco's bid was rejected due to high cost.
The hardware resides in a small well ahead of the instrument panel and projects its image, via a vacuum fluorescent display, on the inside of the windshield. The HUD is positioned such that the display reflects off the front glass and into the driver's field of view. It appears to hang in space just below the driver's line of sight. Its basics are: digital speed, graphic RPM display, a choice of 3 gages, turn signals, high beams, a check gages warning and a shift light. The unit can be formatted, by holding down the page button, to show:
  1. speed only,
  2. 2) speed and gage,
  3. 3) speed, gage and RPM
  4. 4) speed and RPM or
  5. 5) just RPM.
Tapping the page button switches between oil pressure, coolant temp and fuel gages.
You can judge the HUD two ways, as a convenience option and as a performance driving aid. For convenience, it's easy to get used to the HUD as a constant driving "assistant". There it is, seeming to floating out there about 100 feet in front of the car. You never need to look down at the IPC to see your speed, rpm or to check if your blinkers are on. All you do is drop your line of sight a tiny bit and you see that bluish display. One thing we like about the HUD is, while a lot of data is available, only the basics are default-displayed, the rest is user-selectable. We, also, like the controllability of the HUD. The user can set the display's format, position within a moderate range and the brightness, all with controls that are easy to reach. They are located on the left of the IPC trim where, since 1997, there was a styled plug.
If the C5's HUD has a weakness, it is the shift light feature. At the media program at Indianapolis, after introducing the '99 Hardtop, Chief Engineer Hill discussed the HUD. He emphasized the shift light feature as a performance driving aid, similar in nature to shift lights used in road race or drag race cars. My evaluation later that day, in a performance driving situation of the type deemed by Hill as ideal for the HUD shift light, found the feature lacked visibility.
I tested the light in the default choice of HUD data by accelerating in second gear. I intended to upshift when we saw the light in my peripheral vision, however, I never saw it and the LS1 hit the rev limiter. I tried again, looking directly at the HUD as the engine neared redline. This time I saw the light, but couldn't find it until too long after it came on and the motor tagged the fuel cut-off, again. The light is so small, it seems to get lost amongst the other data. I found out later, in emailing with Stringfellow, that the HUD can be set to show the shift light without the graphic tach display and he says it stands out more when not nestled up against the tach bars, however, in my opinion; it still needs to be a contrasting color or at least made several measures brighter than the surrounding parts of the display."

That's the 4th Gen HUD.

This is a video of the 5th Gen.

I'm of the believe that the reason the car won't be getting the HUD at all until MY 2011 is because the 6th Gen HUD is still in development and GM doesn't want to waste the money tooling the cars for the 5th Gen when they know they'll have to switch mid generation. Retooling after only 2 model years is just ridiculous (even though Audi seems to be okay with it).

Yes. You can move it, dim it, and select different display types.

Nice post! This is kinda swaying me to wait for the HUD. My wife had one in her 99 Grand Prix, and I dug it very much... didn't look at the gauges ever except to check gas.
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:29 PM   #42
Cole317

Drives: 71 Hemi Cuda
That just makes me so mad about GM. People say well they have to develop it so it'll work.....THEY"VE HAD PLENTY OF TIME TO DEVELOP A HUD FOR THE CAMARO especially when they already have it in the Corvette. It just makes me mad because we've been waiting for this car for so long, and now they aren't going to put in something that they originally planned on. But, im still getting the Camaro next year, screw waiting another 2 years. I've waited long enough.
Cole317 is offline   Reply With Quote