Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #43
Sean@Phastek

Drives: 2010 Camaro X5 Turbo
A couple more updates: We painted the front mount intercooler black, as well as the upper radiator hose pipe. Also, we color-matched the intake tubes coming from the intercooler in Victory Red. The kit looks really good blacked-out and paint-matched! The T3 front bumper ports should be installed in a day or two as well, should be a nice little ram-air effect when the bumper is back on!

Also, a little comparison chart for fun:

Sean@Phastek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #44
Chris-HPS

Drives: 2008Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@Phastek View Post
The ZL1 fuel pump should only be good for about 600-650 horsepower at the flywheel by itself... so he will need that and a boost-a-pump. Or a new twin pump kit like Lingenfelter offers, which is what we will probably be using.

That is incorrect. We use the ZL1 fuel Pump on our Turbo kits and when used with 80lb. Injectose the IDC is only 51%. This is with 645rwhp and 745 rwtq thru a 6 speed. We were testing just the ZL1 first to see if we needed a BAP, however with the results of the IDC there is no need for it.

Chris
Chris-HPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #45
jordan 572

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-HPS View Post
That is incorrect. We use the ZL1 fuel Pump on our Turbo kits and when used with 80lb. Injectose the IDC is only 51%. This is with 645rwhp and 745 rwtq thru a 6 speed. We were testing just the ZL1 first to see if we needed a BAP, however with the results of the IDC there is no need for it.

Chris
So what is the zl1 good until whp with 80lb injectors?
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #46
Sean@Phastek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@Phastek
The ZL1 fuel pump should only be good for about 600-650 horsepower at the flywheel by itself... so he will need that and a boost-a-pump. Or a new twin pump kit like Lingenfelter offers, which is what we will probably be using.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-HPS View Post

Chris
Hey Chris, thanks for chiming in. My numbers were based on a flow chart someone posted on the CTS-V and ZL1 fuel pumps. So what would you say are the max safe Horsepower numbers using just the new ZL1 fuel pump by itself, without a BAP?
Old 04-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #47
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Cool

What size injectors did you guys use with your build? The Turbonetics supplied 60lb/hr?
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #48
Sean@Phastek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
What size injectors did you guys use with your build? The Turbonetics supplied 60lb/hr?
Yes, we used the Turbonetics fuel injectors that came in the kit, and the stock Camaro fuel pump, for the 571 rear wheel Horsepower dyno pulls/setup (JBA Shortys, cat-deletes, ~8 lbs boost). I think the IDCs were around 90%.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #49
TCAT

Thanks Sean. That really helps me out because I need a retune, but want over the 600rwhp mark and doesn't look like I can get it since that would be near maxing out my injectors. :(

Now I know I have to get new injectors. Damn, just another item I need to buy. Lol
Old 04-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #50
ParkerB57
COTW 11/12/12

Drives: 1SS RS IBM
Quote:
A couple more updates: We painted the front mount intercooler black, as well as the upper radiator hose pipe. Also, we color-matched the intake tubes coming from the intercooler in Victory Red. The kit looks really good blacked-out and paint-matched! The T3 front bumper ports should be installed in a day or two as well, should be a nice little ram-air effect when the bumper is back on!

Also, a little comparison chart for fun:

How did you paint the intercooler, that is definitely something that I want to do to mine.

Ben
Old 04-24-2012, 04:04 AM   #51
iUAE
3bood

Drives: Camaro 2010
Quote:
Thanks Sean. That really helps me out because I need a retune, but want over the 600rwhp mark and doesn't look like I can get it since that would be near maxing out my injectors. :(

Now I know I have to get new injectors. Damn, just another item I need to buy. Lol

so if you have already ZL1 fuel pump do you need biger injectors or 60lb inje with the kit will be good for 600wrhp
iUAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #52
Chris-HPS

Drives: 2008Corvette
Quote:
Hey Chris, thanks for chiming in. My numbers were based on a flow chart someone posted on the CTS-V and ZL1 fuel pumps. So what would you say are the max safe Horsepower numbers using just the new ZL1 fuel pump by itself, without a BAP?

Not sure honestly. Both camaro5's we just finished up have the same ZL1 Pump and 80lb. Injectors and the one was 51% IDC and the other 53%IDC.
However we are upgrading to a 76mm triple BB on one of them so we will see what the IDC#'s go up to after that. I am positive the 80lb injectors are helping over the 60lb's though.

Chris
Chris-HPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #53
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by iUAE View Post
so if you have already ZL1 fuel pump do you need biger injectors or 60lb inje with the kit will be good for 600wrhp
I doubt the 60lb/hr injectors will suffice regardless of which aftermarket fuel pump you have. I think the injectors are going to be the limiting factor to go above the 600rwhp mark. I have ADM twin pumps, and the 60lb/hr injectors should be the only limiting factor for me, especially since Sean said the injectors were at 90% DC at around the 570rwhp mark. I made a mistake and didn't upgrade the darn injectors to something larger right when I installed the kit. I should have known I wanted to get more power out of it. The Turbonetics kit is great and has plentyyy of room to grow, but new larger capacity injectors are needed.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #54
jordan 572

Drives: none
Quote:
I doubt the 60lb/hr injectors will suffice regardless of which aftermarket fuel pump you have. I think the injectors are going to be the limiting factor to go above the 600rwhp mark. I have ADM twin pumps, and the 60lb/hr injectors should be the only limiting factor for me, especially since Sean said the injectors were at 90% DC at around the 570rwhp mark. I made a mistake and didn't upgrade the darn injectors to something larger right when I installed the kit. I should have known I wanted to get more power out of it. The Turbonetics kit is great and has plentyyy of room to grow, but new larger capacity injectors are needed.
Wait, your running 600 whp with the 60 lb injectors? I heard that this is no good, what is your idc? With more research I have to agree with ted, he wants me to get some id-850s before he tunes my car. All I am looking for is 575-600 whp. Take a look at my thread, it seems like a lot of the same questions are coming up on here. That's why I started a pole.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217697
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #55
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
Wait, your running 600 whp with the 60 lb injectors? I heard that this is no good, what is your idc? With more research I have to agree with ted, he wants me to get some id-850s before he tunes my car. All I am looking for is 575-600 whp. Take a look at my thread, it seems like a lot of the same questions are coming up on here. That's why I started a pole.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217697
No, my tune is way scaled down because of that reason. The 60lb/hr injectors would basically be maxed out at 600rwhp. I want to purchase new injectors before I start bumping up the boost and power to 600-650rwhp. I'm also saving for ID850's . Ted explained the same thing to me thankfully.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #56
Sean@Phastek

We were at a local car show this weekend talking with some ZL1 owners, as well as other supercharged SS owners, which reminded me that I forgot to mention...

650+ Horsepower, 30 MPG @ 65 MPH in 6th gear on the freeway ride home...

+1 for Turbos!!

I don't even want to mention the MPG numbers I heard from the supercharged guys!

Tags
phastek turbonetics turbo