Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #29
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJoe96 View Post
Can't help but feeling jealous, I'm 16 and the only way I was able to get my 1LS was paying for it myself! A lot of work lol..... Anyways, I think it's really cool what you're doing for your son, but maybe it would be a good idea to somehow make him work for it, and in the end the car will be worth more to him... Everything shouldn't come that easy in life, I worked since I was 12 to get mine
that's a lot of dough to save in such a short time...4 yrs...what are you doing, brain surgery
Old 05-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #30
JoKeZt3R
Almost a 1LE Owner

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE (August)
Only you know your son.. My first car was a 2010 Shelby. I understood what the car was and what it could do (Been around drag racing my whole life). If you think your son can handle it then go for it.. It will bring a smile to your face and his as well.. Hope this helps
Old 05-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #31
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
He'd definitely be the cool kid at school with a SS.

What they already said, you know him better, and kids are different, I had a friend with a '69 SS Chevelle, he babied it, didn't haul a$$ at all. On the other hand, I drove every car I was given to it's limit, hence I flipped one and wrecked several others.

Now that I'm a little older, and not wiser, but mildly less stupid, I recall what another kid, I didn't know well, had to do. His dad bought him the car, the kid had to get a job and pay the insurance and any tickets. The deal was if the kid got tickets and his insurance went up to where he couldn't pay it, he lost the car. Today that sounds like an ok plan to me.
Where do I get a pair of fuzzy dice? LOL
Old 05-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #32
Muscle SS
All blackkk

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp2LT View Post
You know him better than we do. Is he responsible enough to handle 400+ hp in his first car? If yes, SS. 300+ hp? If yes, 2LT. Else Chevy Cruze is a really nice car.
I had a cruze loaner for 3 days...don't ever do that to anyone. My 2003 accord was 1000x's better than that piece of crap.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #33
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Don't go cheap when it comes to your kids safety. My daughter was a good driver at 16, but she fell a sleep coming home from work and hit a large pine tree head on at 60 mph. Its two years since the accident and she is still recovering from her injuries. I remember refusing to buy several cars because of low NTSB safety ratings, thank god I stepped up and spend a little more or she may not have survived the accident.

Safety first!
Old 05-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #34
ABMLS3

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm 16 turning 17 in 2 weeks and I have a 2010 camaro ss, get him the SS!

Power Source Performance Turbo Kit

416 C.I ,TH400
Instagram: TomTraube
COTW ABMLS3 Build Thread
Old 05-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #35
ABMLS3

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Camaro 2SS/RS
And I paid for half of it

Power Source Performance Turbo Kit

416 C.I ,TH400
Instagram: TomTraube
COTW ABMLS3 Build Thread
Old 05-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #36
Dan1028
Mechanical Engineer

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS A6
A responsible first car, IMO, is not the Camaro at all, regardless of engine size.

The biggest issues I see are limited visibility and drive layout. I think most new drivers should experience a couple years behind the wheel of something with lots of glass and FWD in order to get a feel for how they can drive in crowded traffic and inclement weather, not to mention the fact that having a Camaro might put a young driver in "show-off" situations at school (it's also a car ripe for keying by anyone who could be jealous).

Following a demonstration of safety-consciousness, defensive driving ability, and ability to mitigate the effects of testosterone and peer pressure, only then would I entertain a performance-oriented vehicle for any child of mine.

LEFT HAND DRIVE
Old 05-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #37
speeddemon69

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary
get him a zl1 make it right the first time. then make him get a job.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #38
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyt2528 View Post
Hello, my first post . My son is turning 16 this October and I really want to get him a new car. Him and myself always had an eye for a camaro. I am still debating wether to get him a camaro 2ss or a 2lt. Any feedback?
Good idea not letting your son decide which one he gets. And it's good to only have those two options for him. Let's a child know they do not always get everything they want. And to have a public forum help decide which one you buy for him is the way to go. Money is not an issue, 2SS is the answer.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #39
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Ummm... Wow. First, IMO, no matter how much experience your newly-minted 16 year old driver has driving high powered cars--and I don't care how long he's been "driving," at 16 he doesn't have much--he is just entering the time of his life where impressing his friends/girls will become more important than being responsible and making smart decisions all the time. Buying him a 400HP sports car is just plain dumb, and I'm not buying the BS about how much time he's been behind the wheel of your 700HP car.

But I'd this thread is legit, and if you have your mind made up to get him one, consider your location and what type of Indiana winter weather he'll be driving in and consider the SS and any V6/RS comes with summer tires before you buy.

But I'm sure you can just buy him a second set of wheels and winter tires for him, too, while you're at it.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
Old 05-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #40
superbears14

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
Good idea not letting your son decide which one he gets. And it's good to only have those two options for him. Let's a child know they do not always get everything they want. And to have a public forum help decide which one you buy for him is the way to go. Money is not an issue, 2SS is the answer.

2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert, 19000 miles, every option available.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #41
paul44

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I'm 19 and I have a SS and all I can say is that since I got my car I have learned to appreciate it more and more, and I really do take care of it. I know my parents worked hard to buy it so I work hard to keep it in pristine condition. Not because one is young means one is supposed to wreck!
Old 05-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #42
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
I had to buy my first car outright (plus every car since then), '95 Monte Carlo Z34. Had enough hp to have some fun but wasn't a speed demon.

IMO get him something like that, even if he's been driving under your supervision, who knows what he's going to be like without it. Not only do you have to think about your kid but others on the road that he may harm if he did something "stupid". Not saying he will but those younger years are full of no-thinking just go decisions, I know I was there 7 years ago... Once he proves himself, then offer him a Camaro.

Closed Thread