Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-24-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
Mungo

Drives: trans am
LS3 and other engines/transmissions

I Just picked up this months Motor Trend. While thumbing throught it I read that the LS2 engine will be no more. They're brining out a 6.2 liter 403 HP for the Corvette. They stated that this will be the up scale engine for the Camaro. Then there was the article on the convertible. The gentleman being interviewed said he could almost gaurentee there will be a hide-away headlight kit at the 2009 SEMa show. He said it wouldn't surprise him if GM offered it as a production option. He said that like the Mustang, the Camaro will be offering upgrades like the Mustang (ie. Bullit Mustange and Boss 302). Could we be seeing an SS or Z28 in the near future? The magazine was full of future cars. The 2010 Impalla was mighty sweet. There is an Imalla SS coming.
Mungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:56 AM   #2
3whiterag
GM Powertrain Retired

Drives: 67SS350, 87 IROC L98, 96SS ver
That would be the LS3.
3whiterag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I sure hope the top dog puts out more than 403hp.... if GM wants to compete w/ other automakers, it's going to have to do better than that. I'll tell ya right now... If 403hp is the top that GM can offer, there will be more than a few who will be upset.

Unless they offer an upgrade of headers and a tune to bring it up to 475 for a few extra bucks. Seriously, I'm looking for 400+ for MY new Camaro. If the money is there, I want to up it as high as possible from the factory and keep it under warranty. I know there's a lot of guys here that could care less about the warranty, but I'll tell ya that warranty has saved my @ss on more than one occasion...(try blown engine, two trashed trannys...).

Hideaways would be an option I would take. The "birdy" said they wouldn't be offered because of reliability issues. Personally, I see aftermarket companies doing hideaways. GM would do good by coming out w/ HDWYs, but if not built correctly w/ reliability, could potentially screw themselves w/ too many warranty issues.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
3whiterag
GM Powertrain Retired

Drives: 67SS350, 87 IROC L98, 96SS ver
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I sure hope the top dog puts out more than 403hp.... if GM wants to compete w/ other automakers, it's going to have to do better than that. I'll tell ya right now... If 403hp is the top that GM can offer, there will be more than a few who will be upset.

Unless they offer an upgrade of headers and a tune to bring it up to 475 for a few extra bucks. Seriously, I'm looking for 400+ for MY new Camaro. If the money is there, I want to up it as high as possible from the factory and keep it under warranty. I know there's a lot of guys here that could care less about the warranty, but I'll tell ya that warranty has saved my @ss on more than one occasion...(try blown engine, two trashed trannys...).

Hideaways would be an option I would take. The "birdy" said they wouldn't be offered because of reliability issues. Personally, I see aftermarket companies doing hideaways. GM would do good by coming out w/ HDWYs, but if not built correctly w/ reliability, could potentially screw themselves w/ too many warranty issues.
I think that the top dog Camaro will have well over 500+ hp. As a well known person once said, "Keep the Faith"!
3whiterag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Humm.... interesting information for sure. We have all known the LS2 was going to be no more in the next few years, and the 6.2L was the likely candidate to replace it, but the 403HP rating does seem kind of low to me. Unless this is a very conservative estimate to try and make owning a 6.2L more affordable (ie insurance rates), then i certainly expected an HP rating in the 425-450 range.

I will not be upset if that does indeed turn out to be true. I would be satisfied with a 403HP car. I mean that is still going to be significantly more than the Mustang at the time (At least I would assume it would be). The Challenger will have at least 425 from what I am hearing, but it weighs quite a bit too, so I think of everything they are saying about controlling the Camaro's weight is true, then a 403HP Camaro should still be able to beat a 425HP Challenger.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
IROC'em

Drives: Chevy 1500 5.7L Vortec
403 is still a very respectable rating, look back 5 years and less and if you were pushin over 300 you were doing well, only supercars were pushin 500. Hey, maybe 403 is the base model V8, the Z might get another 30 or more in factory mods, no tellin about the SS.
IROC'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:27 PM   #7
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
I wouldn't be disappointed at all with 403 hp. Not too many places where you can actually put that kind of hp to use anyway. Guess I'm just getting old but speed isn't as important to me as it used to be. Thats why I ride a Harley now.
I agree... I mean, i want a high HP car, and by my standards, 403 HP is A LOT of HP. If this car came out with 450HP I don' think I would be driving it in situations that would really make me glad I got an extra 50HP over an LS2. Truthfully, you can put a 400 HP motor in the new Camaro or a 450HP motor and 99% of the time I will be able to tell you with confidence that I can not tell the difference...

If I was a hardcore drag strip guy then I would probably want the 450 but for my uses the 400 is just fine.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:20 AM   #8
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
403 is fine with me. I'd never need more than that.

Long as I can blow away the Mustang Snots (ie- young guys with Mustangs) I'll be happy. LOL
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:35 AM   #9
Mungo

He only said upscale, not top dog. Remember the Mustang base V-8 is 300HP. The Base Vette engine is 400. Now the base vette engine will be like he said 403. If my memory serves me well from items in this web, GM is developing the LS9 with 650 HP for the Blue Devil or SS what ever they will call it. Remeber GM will never allow the camaro to take sales away from the corvette. There may be a SS down the road that will have an engine somewhere between the base corvette and the Z06. Besides the Shelby Mustang with the 500 HP motor got smoked by a base Corvette is a Car and Driver shootout. Heck 400+ HP, four wheel indepentent suspension and a killer look and something that will kill a Mustang both in looks and performance. what's not to be happy with?
Old 02-26-2007, 10:25 AM   #10
LowRider
LowRider

Drives: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 1996 S-10
Send a message via AIM to LowRider Send a message via Yahoo to LowRider
cool sounds good to me but I still would like to have something that would look good and run a hell of alot better. You know something to pick the ladies up with.
LowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #11
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I'm sure a lot of people will in fact be happy w/ 403hp. That's great! Going from my 335 or so to 400 is not that big of a difference to me especially when it's possible that the new Maro might be a few pounds heavier than the 4th Gen Camaro. I know it's been said that it was on a diet and Jenny Craig was being called...but from what I understand, it will most likely be heavier. So, as w/ the hp to weight ratio on the Challenger, I'm thinking the same over here w the 5th Gen compared to my 4th Gen. That's all.

Will I be happy w/ 403hp on my new Maro? Sure...as long as it loses some weight so I can tell the difference. If not, it'll be just like driving my current 4th Gen SS and that will not make me happy at all. I am looking for more power. I'm not a drag racer. I don't get on it all the time. I just like to have the musclecar power there.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:28 AM   #12
Casull

Honestly, I would be very, very suprised if 403HP is the top performance option in Camaro; disregarding the possibility of a 6.2 s/c. I think this generation of Camaro is going to offer many more powerplant options than the 4th gen.. kind of like in the 3rd gens. 403HP sound like the perfect amount of power for the entry level v-8, but I would be really suprised if there is not a ~450HP option. I just find it hard to believe that GM will fail to have a Camaro with more HP than the Challenger.

There is no way 403HP will be the top performance package.... Although it will probably be the version I choose.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:58 PM   #13
Mungo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
Honestly, I would be very, very suprised if 403HP is the top performance option in Camaro; disregarding the possibility of a 6.2 s/c. I think this generation of Camaro is going to offer many more powerplant options than the 4th gen.. kind of like in the 3rd gens. 403HP sound like the perfect amount of power for the entry level v-8, but I would be really suprised if there is not a ~450HP option. I just find it hard to believe that GM will fail to have a Camaro with more HP than the Challenger.

There is no way 403HP will be the top performance package.... Although it will probably be the version I choose.
Well if you really want to kick some serious butt, I'm sure that there will be some serious aftermarket kits out there. For an example, check out www.ststurbo.com to see what they did to a stock corvette. They replaced the twin mufflers with twin turbos. The stock 'vette dyno tested at 357 RWHP. After the kit was installed, it dyno tested at 537 RWHP. It's not cheap at about 5k, but it has more HP than a Z06. Also check out their kits for '98-02 LT1 package. About 4k.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:32 AM   #14
Al Robinson
RACKM

Drives: 2001 Mazda MilleniaS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post

I agree with you. I definitely believe that a SS camaro will be on sale within a year of the release of the Camaro. GM has all the necessary hardware in there arsinal. I believe GM has been listening to us throught this web site, as well as Camaro clubs as to what we want and will buy. Looking at the unbelievale response that was generated from the concept unveiling, I believe the powers that be ( who are Camaro nuts like us) and the engineers have MANY ideas.
Al Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote