Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-30-2018, 07:15 AM   #1
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
help with a full size spare question

I have always carried a full size spare in the trunk when traveling long distances from home. I have recently gone up in tire size and upgraded to six piston front brakes. My old spare setup was a stock rim with tire and will no longer work.

-Will a stock 20x9 SS Rear Wheel clear a 6-piston front brake setup on a lowered car?

If not, I will try and find me a stock ZL1 or 1LE wheel. I wasn't sure and wanted to inquire before purchasing. I will be putting a 255/40 in order to get the matching height. I will most likely pick one up off ebay. Since it will be a spare, don't really care if it's got curb rash or other cosmetic issues.

Or if you know of anyone trying to clear some space out of their garage with an old wheel, send them my way. Would like to have this purchased this month.

Thanks

Last edited by hrpiii; 07-27-2018 at 09:33 AM.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:08 AM   #2
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
I have always carried a full size spare in the trunk when traveling long distances from home. I have recently gone up in tire size and upgraded to six piston front brakes. My old spare setup was a stock rim with tire and will no longer work.

-Will a stock 20x9 SS Rear Wheel clear a 6-piston front brake setup?

If not, I will try and find me a stock ZL1 or 1LE wheel. I wasn't sure and wanted to inquire before purchasing. I will be putting a 255/40 in order to get the matching height. I will most likely pick one up off ebay. Since it will be a spare, don't really care if it's got curb rash or other cosmetic issues.

Or if you know of anyone trying to clear some space out of their garage with an old wheel, send them my way. Would like to have this purchased this month.

Thanks

Hey man, I will have the car up on stands this weekend, I will check for you.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:13 AM   #3
Yellow Bullet

Drives: 2017 Chevy Sonic RS 1.4T
You having a one way conversation?

2017 Sonic Mosaic Black RS 1.4T
Yellow Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:29 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Bullet View Post
You having a one way conversation?
guess so.....it would really help of he would drink some coffee once in awhile.

Name:  ROFLMAO.gif
Views: 377
Size:  49.5 KB
Old 07-19-2018, 07:54 AM   #5
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Quote:
Hey man, I will have the car up on stands this weekend, I will check for you.
I finally got it up on stands and once I get the ebrake cable adjusted, I'll work the front wheel a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
guess so.....it would really help of he would drink some coffee once in awhile.

Attachment 947133
lol.... oh no, that's the devils drink. But I won't say a little caffeine won't hurt every now and then. It's probably been over 30 years since I had a cup.

Out of all these members, no one could tell me if a stock rim would fit over 6 piston front brakes. So like anyone else.. I'm on a mission to find out for myself. Then if anyone wants to know, they can send me $5 for the answer.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
I finally got it up on stands and once I get the ebrake cable adjusted, I'll work the front wheel a little

lol.... oh no, that's the devils drink. But I won't say a little caffeine won't hurt every now and then. It's probably been over 30 years since I had a cup.

Out of all these members, no one could tell me if a stock rim would fit over 6 piston front brakes. So like anyone else.. I'm on a mission to find out for myself. Then if anyone wants to know, they can send me $5 for the answer.

I am SURE you have a friend with a Camaro….have him/her come over to the house....yank off one of the rears.....yank off one of yours and then see it they will fit. PIECE OF CAKE.....DUH LOL
Old 07-20-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
a stock 20x9 will fit over 6 piston calipers, ran that setup for a year an a half
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:43 AM   #8
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
a stock 20x9 will fit over 6 piston calipers, ran that setup for a year an a half
but what size tire did you run on that, and were you lowered?

I can help here. I put a stock 20x9 with the stock size tire on it. It does clear the CTS-V brakes, but the tire touches the strut.

Last edited by hrpiii; 07-27-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #9
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
I am SURE you have a friend with a Camaro….have him/her come over to the house....yank off one of the rears.....yank off one of yours and then see it they will fit. PIECE OF CAKE.....DUH LOL
Hey, this thread is already full of SA's, and that's me...lol. I did get a chance to put stock size front and rear wheels/tires on my lowered car with CTS-V 6-piston front brakes and see the outcome. A bit time consuming of course, and like many others, I stay way too busy, but made time to try this out.

But I did get my answers and can now get what I need for a full size spare tire that will work with the cars current setup.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:05 AM   #10
BronxxBombers213

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
yes it will fit... so will a front 20x8 which will save you a little weight and space in the trunk
Old 07-30-2018, 07:12 AM   #11
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxxBombers213 View Post
yes it will fit... so will a front 20x8 which will save you a little weight and space in the trunk
With a lowered car, the OEM rear wheel with stock size tire will NOT WORK on the front. It touches the strut..A LOT. I know for a fact and here to share my findings if others are looking for the answer.

The front wheel with stock size tire (SS/RS) will clear a 6 piston caliper on the front and not hit the strut on a lowered (1.5" drop) 2010 Camaro.

I now have me a new full size spare, that will fit my car with my new tire sizes. I now run a 285/35/20 on the front. I hope this may help others looking for this information in the future. I know this, because I jacked the car up and did everything to be sure, before I was in a situation away from home, and need a spare tire as a back up option (other than roadside assistance).