Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest / Pacific Northwest

Old 09-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I90 Cameras

http://mynorthwest.com/11/734993/Spe...noqualmie-Pass
Old 09-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
camarossowner
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS Black Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
camarossowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..

Drives: 2010 Synergy
Quote from the article:
"It's part of a pilot program approved by the Washington State Legislature to improve safety in construction zones."

And the camel's nose enters the tent....

Orwell was so right! The future sucks. It's only a matter of time before our TVs are watching us.

With envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
And the public fights right back:

http://www.photoblocker.com/

http://www.licenseplatecovers.net/

http://ghostplates.com/
Old 09-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
I read about this the other day and I'm just appalled. This state is so obstinate and obstructive to allowing vehicles to move down the road...it is astounding. It's bad enough that the WSP have us trained to slow down in certain spots, and if you look at them funny, you're getting a ticket... Nevermind the nazi-like enforcement of speeds in the middle of BFE I90 where the roads are straight, divided, where a speed limit of 80-85mph would not be at all "unreasonable."

I guess I see it like this: If a worker is going to get hit in a construction zone, he's going to die whether a car loses control at 60mph versus 75. At 60, he's just dead. At 75, he's really dead. The buffers and everything else they have for safety zones is more than enough...damn workers shouldn't be playing in the middle of the street anyhow.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
The 520 bridge toll is a pilot program too, eh?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
SSmoothie

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6SP Blk/Blk
This was one of there past Ideas that failed, costing $35k to install and about the same to remove a month later.

http://www.komonews.com/news/archive/4194136.html
Old 09-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
1hotchevy
Scottish Knight

Drives: RS/2SS 6 speed manual
Quote:

my understanding is that the "paint" works really really well,,,from the guys i know that have it on right now...as far as all the "red light" camera's....just saying
Old 09-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..

I drive fast, I admit it. But I carefully pick and chose where (and when) I do it and where I don't. I have no problem slowing down through an area where people are actively working. Slowing way down if necessary where workers have no choice but to work in close proximity to moving vehicles. What bothers me is when the state takes an actual 100-300 yard work zone, and stretches it out to eight miles, placing a few orange barrels with little flashing lights to give the effect of a "work zone". Add a well placed speed trap, usually late on a Sunday night when there isn't a hard hat in sight, and they can double their money.
Speed laws were ostensibly for safety. That all went to hell a long time ago when municipalities discovered that it was an easy source of revenue. It's a power that has been abused ever since. Now, with property taxes calculated on falling home values, and income taxes on far less people with actual incomes, revenue has dropped off dramatically. Politicians will never stop spending like drunken sailors, so our law enforcement has been corrupted into a borderline organized criminal revenue collection agency. They'll still repeat the same old line that it's about safety, which absolutely NOBODY believes anymore. Safety? When is the last time you saw a cop at your kid's bus stop?
And yes, I have no problem slowing down there too. Cop, or no cop.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
Teamradrz1

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anniversary Edition
I got a ticket in Idaho on I84 cop was sitting just in front of "end of construction sign" and the construction was on a bridge 3 miles back, for doing 75 in a 75 but because of construction was a 55 zone. He even stated he'd been writing tickets all day. It's this type of abuse that needs to stop.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
Teamradrz1

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anniversary Edition
It's definately not for saftey how many accidents are caused by the distraction of someone being pulled over for 10 over the limit.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #12
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
The 520 bridge toll is a pilot program too, eh?
You mean the toll so we can tear down a bridge that's 2-lanes in each direction, to completely rebuild the bridge, so that it's still 2 lanes in each direction with the addition of a carpool lane (and nose up to light rail...no plan there).

ehrmaigawddd!!!!! Some days I don't know if I can stand the Salmon nazis anymore.

Tolling 520 has absolutely killed my I90 commute into the city in case anyone was wondering. Doubled or tripled the time in some cases.

But I digress. Back to the regularly scheduled programming about traffic cameras.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #13
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Exactly how is this going to work? I can't help noticing that most of your cars have no front plates in your pictures. How do they know who's picture they are taking?
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #14
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
Exactly how is this going to work? I can't help noticing that most of your cars have no front plates in your pictures. How do they know who's picture they are taking?
Everything is set up to take pictures of the back plate. We who run with no front plate in The Peoples Republic of Washington are in violation of the law. They are mandatory here. (Unlike many other states that realized they could charge the same and cut their expenses in half by doing away with the front plate.) It is what is called a "secondary infraction", which means they technically can't pull you over for it, but they can cite you if they happen to pull you over for speeding or something else. We choose to break the law because: a) I'm not drilling holes in that beautiful face to stick that ugly piece of tin on!
And b) Other states have proven that it is totally unnecessary, which makes it all the easier to justify reason "a".
Our Governments are abusing the spirit and intention of the laws to feed their insatiable appetite for money. So I have no problem engaging in a little civil disobedience.
There is some talk that our state is supposed to be doing away with the front plate requirement. But I have found no evidence supporting this. Even if there was consideration for doing that, technology advancements have probably precluded it's implementation. I just saw my first car mounted, plate reader in Long Beach last weekend. If you aren't familiar with this insidious device; it's a camera mounted on the trunk or fender of a police car. As the car travels around, it captures images of all the plates it passes and feeds them to a computer that reads, identifies, and catalogs them. That's right: There is a database that knows when and where you travel. It's one of those "keep us safe" things that was developed in the name of homeland security. If that doesn't send chills down your spine, I don't know what will.