Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Paint cracking?

This just started cracking on my last pass with paint...

What causes this?

Should I wait, sand it down and try again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
NC-V

Drives: cts-v
Yes you will need to let that dry, sand down and start over. Most likely from spraying too heavy/not letting it flash out properly between coats. Was there paint on that piece before you started painting it?
NC-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
TwentyTen2SSRS

No no paint on it before... Maybe needed to wait a little longer. So just sand down won't be completely starting over right? Just til smooth... Need to primer again?

Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
Old 04-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #4
NC-V

Ahh ok. Than that is most likely the primer lifting under the paint. Let it dry a bit, wet sand smooth and try re-coating.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #5
TwentyTen2SSRS

Wet sand? Is that getting it wet with sand paper? And just spray? No need for another primer coat?

Old 04-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #6
TwentyTen2SSRS

I also used adhesive promoter as first step, then plastic primer then paint

Old 04-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #7
NC-V

Sorry for the lack of clarification. I would recommend wet sanding it with 800 grit wet sand paper and water. Just do this until it is smoothed out then you should be able to just re-coat with color. As long as you don't sand down through the primer it hopefully won't lift again.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
EETSMine

Drives: 2010 2SS ABM #3566
It looks to me like a reaction between the paint and primer. Were they the same brand? If not, were they a compatible brand?

Now you need to strip it bare and use a compatible primer, paint system.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:15 PM   #9
NC-V

Stripping it would be a sure fire way to get rid of the lifting issue, but that may still be salvageable. If you smooth it out and re-coat and it lifts again you will have to strip it down to bare plastic and start over.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #10
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
It's going to take courser than 800 grit on initial prep of those areas.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:19 PM   #11
EETSMine

Drives: 2010 2SS ABM #3566
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-V View Post
Stripping it would be a sure fire way to get rid of the lifting issue, but that may still be salvageable. If you smooth it out and re-coat and it lifts again you will have to strip it down to bare plastic and start over.
It's possible it could be salvaged but after the paint work I have done. He is by far better off stripping it bare and using a compatible system.

What I see is a paint primer incompatibility and as long as he has the same paint and primer he is just going to have the same issue and will be just wasting his time if he does the same thing again.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #12
TwentyTen2SSRS

Hmmm yeah they are both kkrylon and painting other pieces yellow with same process (fuse cover) and it is flawless.. I sanded down and re bought krylon specific for bonding to plastic. Seems to have worked so far. Will post more pics tonight