Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-25-2014, 11:34 PM   #15
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Any pictures of you using the pry bar for the frame?
Old 09-26-2014, 12:09 PM   #16
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
If you lived in Phoenix where we don't need a heater in the winter you could have just bypassed it . It is a bitch removing a dash in new cars . Good to know you don't need to take out the windshield .
Old 09-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #17
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
WOW! That's insane to have to remove windshield to change heater core.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:18 AM   #18
Josh @ Spartan LSX

Drives: A wrench
You haven't seen a terrible heater core job until you do one on an early 90's Ford Taurus. I still have nightmares about the first one I did and I swear I'll never do another one unless somebody pays me $10K to do it. But yea, pretty much all heater core installs suck minus a few models. Crazy that this one kicked the bucket with the car being so young.
Josh @ Spartan LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #19
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
I couldn't find any of this info (screws hitting the windshield as they loosen) in the HUD DIY threads. It seems there are lots of pictures of the dash coming apart ... are you sure this is necessary?
The HUD installs aren't removing the dash frame, only the dash pad. To get to the heater core, the dash frame has to come out after the dash pad, so yes, 100% necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRomAniaN View Post
Any pictures of you using the pry bar for the frame?
I only have some pictures of everything torn apart, but not any action shots...we were being really careful during the pry-bar portion of event so as not to lose the windshield...there were no free hands to take a picture.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:37 PM   #20
Bridget Moton

Drives: Good
I have a 2013 camaro. The heat and air recently stopped working. The dealer said it was my blend door actuator on the drivers side that is not working properly or is broken. They said the defect is allowing both warm air and cool air to enter my vents at the same time. Because you can't access it without taking the whole dash and windshield out, they do not know if it is for sure broken. My question is, how do you recalibrate the hvac actuators? I want to try everything possible before I spend 2000 plus dollars to replace my blend door actuator.
Bridget Moton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:17 AM   #21
HyperV117

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
These posts about replacing actuators and heater cores make me so nervous. Hope my car holds up. I would hate to tell my gf that my new used car needs a 2k dollar repair.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:45 PM   #22
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
It's one of the reasons why on every single "summer" car that I have owned the last 2 decades, I've always flushed every 2 years, with distilled water/oem coolant/waterwetter, AND also, would occasionally turn the heater on mid-summer, to cycle through the Heater Core.

It is one of the lowest points in the cooling system, and keeping it closed all summer long, with still, stale fluid, is just asking for it in the short term.

Not saying this is what happened here. Just sayin', that with over a million km's of driving logged, I have never lost a heater core. Trust me, the designs of heater cores in some German cars, is just as a butt puckering experience to replace, as on these.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:44 AM   #23
jboutari

Drives: 2010 Camaro ss/2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
It's one of the reasons why on every single "summer" car that I have owned the last 2 decades, I've always flushed every 2 years, with distilled water/oem coolant/waterwetter, AND also, would occasionally turn the heater on mid-summer, to cycle through the Heater Core.

It is one of the lowest points in the cooling system, and keeping it closed all summer long, with still, stale fluid, is just asking for it in the short term.

Not saying this is what happened here. Just sayin', that with over a million km's of driving logged, I have never lost a heater core. Trust me, the designs of heater cores in some German cars, is just as a butt puckering experience to replace, as on these.
Hope this is not late, my a/c went out on my 2010 ss after the dealer replaced
the compressor and expansion valve I picked the car up and noticed it's not cooling good enough, took it back to dealer, they told me it's the blend door actuator and it costs $1700 to fix because the windshield needs to be removed. Before you guys go spend tons of money or remove the dash or anything like that, it's is very simple to replace the blend door actuator and the module and very cheap. I bought both parts on eBay for under $25 each brand new and did it myself. Unfortunately that didn't fix the problem for me. I think my problem is a broken blend door and that is a headache to replace. Anyway if I find the diagram for the location of all actuators for the 2010 camaro I'll post it here. There are three actuators, the easiest one to replace is the blend door actuator just above the gas pedal.
jboutari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:01 AM   #24
Romeloc

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS RS A6 Inferno
I have the same problem its either the blend door or the actuator and im at 127k. A lot of cash to spend
20% tints
Borla Atak cat-bak
Roto-Fab intake
amber footwell, dome, and trunk lighting(AAC)
Decepticon Gas door
Led Taillights (technostalgia)
Romeloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:12 PM   #25
matts86cam

Drives: 1986 z28 and 2015 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Damn good advice. My car is a summer driver only (in WI) gonna do it now while I have time
matts86cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:43 PM   #26
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
now mine is leaking sweet!!! thanks gm WTF what A PIA.
this shows the how to take care of the bolts that they say you need to remove the windshield for without removing the windshield.

Last edited by lemontwist; 09-26-2019 at 09:28 PM.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:56 PM   #27
Scotty D

Drives: 2014 1le 1SS CRMT
My question is did u have to drain your ac the Freon when u took it all out??
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:45 PM   #28
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
i have not done it yet but from the looks of it yes ya do the big thing everyone is concerned about is the windshield.i thought the same thing when i saw the video i don't want to open the ac system up.i think i'm going to take the opportunity to put the color hud in and reinforce and or replace the blend door.
i am also thinking i'm not going to go with the ac delco core from the looks of the problems everyone has they SUCK unless gm replaced so many under warenty they have a updated core.i'm thinking spectra premium?????
hopefully someone chimes in on what core is the best!?!?!?

Last edited by lemontwist; 09-27-2019 at 07:58 PM.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote