Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-27-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
1 year and 8k miles after Walnut Blasting with E-2 Elite Catch can

Hi everybody! Last year I did my walnut blasting thread. This year I thought I would take a look and see how they look. Overall, I was kinda disappointed that there was some coking on the valves. Much less than last year. The pics didn’t come out real clear, but here they are.
Attached Images

Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:59 PM   #2
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

After last year seeing how bad the the coking was, I changed from Mobil 1 to Pennzoil Ultra Premium. There was still oil on the head by the gasket. I did get quite a bit of oil out of the catch can , around 6-8 ounces, about an ounce per thousand miles
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2018, 09:05 PM   #3
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Here’s another pic. The coking wasn’t that bad, I just was hoping for less. Maybe I’ll spring for the clean side separator. You can see a little oil around the gasket.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2018, 10:39 PM   #4
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
Hmmm. Yes that is disappointing for only 8,000 miles. As far as the clean side goes, are you seeing any oily residue on the throttle body or in your intake tube?
Old 05-28-2018, 09:33 AM   #5
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzzed View Post
Hmmm. Yes that is disappointing for only 8,000 miles. As far as the clean side goes, are you seeing any oily residue on the throttle body or in your intake tube?
Not really, there was quite a bit in the manifold, I was surprised by how much there was. I did some advanced porting on the manifold and it was really oily.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:34 AM   #6
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

The build up wasn’t really thick, but it was there.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:36 AM   #7
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I had the oil separator that comes with the 1le. After pulling the heads for porting I was amazed at the build up on the valves as well as the oil in the intake. I eliminated all that crap. I just have a K&N breather in each valve cover now. At each oil change there is a small spot on each valve cover next to the breather that gets an oil mist. It simply wipes off... much better than going into the intake. I eliminated the evap solenoid also... tank is vented to atmosphere. I never noticed the smell of fuel....
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:09 AM   #8
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Interesting....
Old 05-28-2018, 11:32 AM   #9
Clarkstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
Interesting....
Back in my younger days, before all the emissions crap... that's how it was done.
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:18 PM   #10
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
I had the oil separator that comes with the 1le. After pulling the heads for porting I was amazed at the build up on the valves as well as the oil in the intake. I eliminated all that crap. I just have a K&N breather in each valve cover now. At each oil change there is a small spot on each valve cover next to the breather that gets an oil mist. It simply wipes off... much better than going into the intake. I eliminated the evap solenoid also... tank is vented to atmosphere. I never noticed the smell of fuel....

Do you have pictures of your setup?
Old 05-28-2018, 07:04 PM   #11
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
Back in my younger days, before all the emissions crap... that's how it was done.
Yes, pics please!
Old 05-28-2018, 07:39 PM   #12
Clarkstar

Not the greatest pic... I got 3/4" grommets and k&n 3/4 push in breathers off Amazon. I have one in each valve cover...
Attached Images

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:53 PM   #13
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Cool.
I've been wanting to do this but was concerned it'd throw a code.
I've heard a few have not got a good seal on the hose going to the catch can but nothing about it throwing codes while doing it.

Anyone gonna give it a try?
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:05 PM   #14
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
From what I've read, it's generally a bad idea to have open breathers on an engine designed for positive crankcase ventilation.

Having the system open accelerates engine wear which is why engines started lasting a lot longer before they had to be rebuilt when PCV was added to the emission's system.

Just saying...
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote