Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 02-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
xpanda305x
Banned

Drives: Dark Knight
FAQ about a NOS setup?

i want to know everything i need to know about running a NOS kit thru our DI 3.6LLT engine? like what do i need to do and how to maintain the kit and such so my engine doesnt break down and such. please help
xpanda305x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
The common companies with direct fit kits are Zex and NX. I bought an NX GM EFI kit and bought their throttle position sensor seperately. I also bought an MSD window-switch.
The window-switch is important for us manual cars(yes, it's a good thing for the auto cars, but I'm addressing what I know right now) because the car has a rev-limiter. A rev-limiter will cut the ignition intermittently at a certain RPM to keep the motor from going over a set RPM. When it cuts the ignition if the nitrous and fuel is still pumping into the cylinder it is a very bad thing. If you've ever seen a nitrous"cough" you know what I'm talking about. It's like a backfire that I've seen blow intakes and carbs right off the engine.
The companies have made sure with their suggestions for the jets you don't go lean which could burn a piston. I believe Rod1 has done some dyno-time with data-logging for Vince at Trifecta. Some have run 75hp shot without a tune. I believe Rod1 has gotten all the way up to 125hp shot with the tune and his jet numbers are completely different from what the companies are recommending. The tune is important because the higher shot you get to starts requiring timing to be adjusted and spark plugs to be changed.
Purge kit. Google it and look it up.
Bottle warmer. Also a good thing.
My suggestion is to start low to make sure everything is acting correctly and increase gradually. A couple of the first to try nitrous had an issue with his Zex kit having the wrong fittings. One had an issue with the Zex set-up not working correctly and he actually ran slower(I believe he was adding fuel but not nitrous). I don't know how Zex was when trying to get it all corrected.
There is someone on here who owns or works at Nito-Dave and he has been talking about doing a plate set-up that would install behind the throttle-body like he has done with the LS-motors. I don't know how far he's gotten but I do know their stuff works and they actually race.
Maintaining the kit is the same between the v6 and any other kit.

The added torque is incredible.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
leviticus88
Camaro Owner Soon!

Drives: Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC S2 GMPP
Start here...

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/faq.php

It's N2O or Nitrous Oxide.

NOS is a brand of Kit.

I recommend nothing but a wet kit, I like NX and have a Proton Kit from them.
Always use a window switch and wide open throttle switch.
Make sure you watch the tuning and timing. I recommend Trifecta (Talk to Vince).
Get a Wideband AFR Gauge and use it.

Finally, I would think about a direct port if you have the means.

Do your research and you'll be fine. Good Luck.
leviticus88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
rhd
dirtbag

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
anyone know if the fuel port is compression or funel? thats the one part im still lacking on my set up

and here is alittle more info for you that came off a diffrent thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD1 View Post
1. Yup jets are off and not sure if they fixed it. Doubt they have. 55 shot = 17 fuel/36 nitrous 75 shot=19f/42n 100 shot=21f/46n 125 shot=24f/52n 150 shot= 27f/58n

2. Spark plugs are already a cold 6 so I went one colder (7). They are NKG LTR7IX-11

3. Zex claims 55 shot is safe without a tune but no more. Max ran his at the track and ran several dynos without a tune using a 100 shot. My guess is a 75 should be fine but its only a guess based on my own experience. Any more than that and you better get tuned.

The best person to ask for general advice is Scrmng. He has alot of experience with Zex nitrous.

Oh and by the way. The only thing that affects nitrous is humidity so, DA won't mean squat runnin it! As scrmng says, "it makes its own environment".
www.lonestarcamaro.com
rhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

If you go through the v6 FI threads you'll see a lot have already asked quite a few questions on it, to include me:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103872
Old 02-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhd View Post
anyone know if the fuel port is compression or funel? thats the one part im still lacking on my set up
Which port have you decided to use? I went with the fuel port at the back that is essentially a schrader valve. You take the cap off, remove the needle like a tire valve-stem and hook up your fuel line to it. I'll dig out the instructions for my kit because I'm pretty sure they had the parts listed.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #7
rhd
dirtbag

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
Which port have you decided to use? I went with the fuel port at the back that is essentially a schrader valve. You take the cap off, remove the needle like a tire valve-stem and hook up your fuel line to it. I'll dig out the instructions for my kit because I'm pretty sure they had the parts listed.
that would be great!
thats the same one i was talking about
www.lonestarcamaro.com
rhd is offline   Reply With Quote