Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-07-2016, 05:49 AM   #15
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
Old 11-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #16
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhrex View Post
Exactly, one person states what they use and it all goes south.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:20 AM   #17
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
That's because someone believes they're a "Know it All"...
Old 11-07-2016, 12:45 PM   #18
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
You have pretty good idea? You have no idea what I use, how much I pay or how often I use the product. I wash my car maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I can afford to use whatever I want and dispose of them at my will.

You assume too much.
I like this guy.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:02 PM   #19
Grabber
Just a car guy

Drives: 2016 Durango R/T AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZN View Post
That's because someone believes they're a "Know it All"...
Basically.

Opinion's are like assholes, everyone has one. However, not everyone is able to accept that fact.
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
03 Cobra - Gone (Never Forgotten)
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:03 PM   #20
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
It's apparent idiocy has taken over the C5 detailing forum.

Follow JR's advice and use them once and throw them away. After all why do something logical and thrifty, when you can do something wasteful and completely ignorant.

I wait for the day I have enough money that I could use expensive, high quality towels once, and throw them away.

Instead of wasting that money, I'd prefer to give it to someone less fortunate then myself.

I don't expect any of you with these ridiculous approvals of throwing perfectly good towels away to grasp the concept of actually trying to help someone, which was the purpose I started this thread for to begin with.

I'm sure I have helped one person from posting this thread, so despite all this abundance of ridiculousness, I can take solace in that.

Because that's why I'm here. To honestly try and help someone save money, or with a process.

Someone told me once that life is not about what you have, it's about what you give.

I'll taking helping someone over money any day of the week.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #21
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
-snip-
Dude, you asked what people do with their microfibers. A guy stated what he did with he did with his, and you went nuclear.

Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #22
Grabber
Just a car guy

Drives: 2016 Durango R/T AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
It's apparent idiocy has taken over the C5 detailing forum.

Follow JR's advice and use them once and throw them away. After all why do something logical and thrifty, when you can do something wasteful and completely ignorant.

I wait for the day I have enough money that I could use expensive, high quality towels once, and throw them away.

Instead of wasting that money, I'd prefer to give it to someone less fortunate then myself.

I don't expect any of you with these ridiculous approvals of throwing perfectly good towels away to grasp the concept of actually trying to help someone, which was the purpose I started this thread for to begin with.

I'm sure I have helped one person from posting this thread, so despite all this abundance of ridiculousness, I can take solace in that.

Because that's why I'm here. To honestly try and help someone save money, or with a process.

Someone told me once that life is not about what you have, it's about what you give.

I'll taking helping someone over money any day of the week.
I agree with you that anyone that buys microfibers to toss them after each is idiotic. It's a terrible waste of money and there are much better ways to maintain your micro's rather than throw them away. If they can afford it, more power to them.

I can afford to throw them away when they've outlived their life span and become too soiled to work with, which rarely happens. I usually put them in the scrap box and use them for other parts of the car that don't require the watchful eye and a super soft microfiber.
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
03 Cobra - Gone (Never Forgotten)
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:47 PM   #23
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber View Post
I agree with you that anyone that buys microfibers to toss them after each is idiotic. It's a terrible waste of money and there are much better ways to maintain your micro's rather than throw them away. If they can afford it, more power to them.

I can afford to throw them away when they've outlived their life span and become too soiled to work with, which rarely happens. I usually put them in the scrap box and use them for other parts of the car that don't require the watchful eye and a super soft microfiber.

My exact reason for posting this thread to begin with. I think it's fair to say most people who maintain their cars wash them more than 3-4 times per year as JR claimed.

Cleaning is the thing we use microfiber for the most, weather you do waterless, rinseless, or a two bucket method, the towels you use for these processes are the one's you will wash the most.

Hence the reason I tried many different soaps, store bought, and microfiber specific. After trying all these I found that for these type of towels, Purex Free & Clear cleans as good as any of the others for a fraction of the cost.

I posted a pic of a dirty towel, then after cleaning, so you can see for yourself that it works great. (Post #8 in this thread)

The purpose of doing this was not to toot my own horn, but to share my findings with other members so they could save money too.

I do not believe I am a "know it all", I'll be the first one to tell you most of the things I have learned about detailing are from other people who were kind enough to share it with me (many of them professional detailers).

A wise man told me "Once you know everything there is to know about any particular subject, you become the dumbest person in the world on that subject, because you can never learn anything new."

I'm completely open to any suggestions that offer value for quality. Sometimes the cost of a product is justified by it's benefits, open minded to that as well.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:45 PM   #24
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
Dude, you asked what people do with their microfibers. A guy stated what he did with he did with his, and you went nuclear.

What thread are you reading?

I never asked what your stating, I stated I had tried several different soaps for cleaning of microfiber towels used for basic cleaning purposes and found that Purex Free & Clear did as good a job for a fraction of the cost of all the others. Even posted before/after pics to prove it.

Several people mentioned Tide, I had tried it as well, no difference from the Purex. Just costs about 2.5 x more.

Then the idiotic statement comes in recommending to throw away your towels after using them.

If you support this as a good practice, I'll suggest the same thing to you I suggested to the person who posted it, start your own thread about it!

The purpose of this thread is to help fellow members save money, not waste it!

Old 11-07-2016, 04:55 PM   #25
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Gentlemen. let's everybody , just take a step back, take a deep breath, relax, let it all go, and lets get back to the main topic please.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:28 PM   #26
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
OP - have you considered asking your question on a detailing forum? It sounds like the information you're after isn't Camaro specific.
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:32 PM   #27
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Gentlemen. let's everybody , just take a step back, take a deep breath, relax, let it all go, and lets get back to the main topic please.
Sounds good to me.

So here is another pic of a towel cleaned with Purex. This is a Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy XL.

Why am I posting this pic? This is the most expensive towel I own @ $45.99, and I still trust it to Purex, it's so large I couldn't get the entire thing in a close up pic. It's 40" x 26". I've owned it for a year, used around 30x, and it's still perfectly clean with no stains anywhere on it.

Am I posting this to brag or boast? Absolutely not. Just to prove that I'm so confident with the Purex, that I would use it on the most expensive towel I own.

Is this towel really needed? No, it's kind of overkill for a Camaro, the standard size DMC is all that's really needed. This towel is however great if your drying a large SUV or truck.

Forgive my sarcasm, but I'd like to see a pic of JR using this towel once and throwing it away.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2016, 04:38 AM   #28
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
OP - have you considered asking your question on a detailing forum? It sounds like the information you're after isn't Camaro specific.

I did not ask a question. Did you actually read the original post? The purpose of this thread was to share my findings of comparing soaps used to clean microfiber for specific purposes, to help other members save money on cleaning and maintaining their microfiber.