Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-08-2016, 06:50 AM   #29
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
My apologies, best of luck with your next batch of microfiber laundry.
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:23 AM   #30
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
My apologies, best of luck with your next batch of microfiber laundry.
No apology needed. I'm just trying to help people save money when cleaning their microfiber.

Problem is when you try to help people, you run into people with no morals or common decency who try to sabotage your efforts.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #31
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Lucky for me my wife won't let me near the washer/dryer, so I tell her how to do it. Just soap only, no fab softener or dryer sheets. Throw them in the basket dirty, get them back clean!

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:36 PM   #32
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Lucky for me my wife won't let me near the washer/dryer, so I tell her how to do it. Just soap only, no fab softener or dryer sheets. Throw them in the basket dirty, get them back clean!
Lucky you. My wife won't touch my "rags" and insists I do them myself. I've had enough trouble with cheap microfiber shedding on my paint that I spent over $200 at the Rag Company. Now when I find one of the old cheapies shedding I just throw them in the trash and feel fully justified.

I will say, though, I'm still searching for a detergent that will get some of the stains out of my towels. I've used Blackfire's cleaner but still have residual stains. Maybe I need to use more than 2 ounces? Tide doesn't do it either, guess I'll give Purex a try.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #33
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
Lucky you. My wife won't touch my "rags" and insists I do them myself. I've had enough trouble with cheap microfiber shedding on my paint that I spent over $200 at the Rag Company. Now when I find one of the old cheapies shedding I just throw them in the trash and feel fully justified.

I will say, though, I'm still searching for a detergent that will get some of the stains out of my towels. I've used Blackfire's cleaner but still have residual stains. Maybe I need to use more than 2 ounces? Tide doesn't do it either, guess I'll give Purex a try.

If you have deep stains that have discolored the fibers, chances are your not going to get them out, especially if your towels are dried in the dryer. The heat will set the stain in. I haven't used any soap, regardless of cost, that will remove set in stains.

Here is the best method I have found to remove them. Will it work every time? No. Depends upon what caused the stain, and how set in it is.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 11-18-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #34
MyLocalDJ

Drives: 2015 2LS
I have been using the Purex and similar laundry detergent for years also. Works well. I have also made a habit of adding Dawn as a regular part of the wash for the micro-fiber towels too. Just seems to cut the grease a little better. I figure Dawn is great for removing grease when washing dishes, it should help with the oils in the micro-fiber towels. When some of mine do not come entirely clean, I put them in a different stack for when I am cleaning under the hood.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #35
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLocalDJ View Post
I have been using the Purex and similar laundry detergent for years also. Works well. I have also made a habit of adding Dawn as a regular part of the wash for the micro-fiber towels too. Just seems to cut the grease a little better. I figure Dawn is great for removing grease when washing dishes, it should help with the oils in the micro-fiber towels. When some of mine do not come entirely clean, I put them in a different stack for when I am cleaning under the hood.
For the cost, the Purex is great, and works as good as more expensive free & clear soaps. Only thing I've found the microfiber specific soaps to do better is remove waxes & sealants from them.

I used Dawn on my 2 year old MM Dry Me Crazy, when it would no longer absorb water.

I tried everything I could, vinegar, baking soda, boiling, to no avail. Dawn brought it back to where it could absorb again.

The thing with Dawn in the washer is not too use too much, it makes a ton of bubbles, so just a little is all that is needed. Ask me how I learned this!

Distilled white vinegar is also great for softening your towels, just a little in the rinse cycle every 10 washes or so will keep your nice Korean towels soft.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:33 PM   #36
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Wanted to start a thread on this subject because I've used and tested several soaps, multiple free & clear store bought, and also multiple microfiber specific soaps.

Here are my thoughts after use.

Drying towels, waterless wash towels, rinseless towels, detail spray towels, glass cleaning towels, and interior cleaning towels.

Purex Free & Clear.

It costs a whopping $4 for a 50 use bottle at my local Wal-Mart.
Cleans just as good as all others, including microfiber specific soaps, at a fraction of the cost.

It has no dyes, perfumes, or fabric softeners. It has stain lifters which work great for removing any dirt you may get from waterless/rinseless washing, any light stains from detail sprays, even oily and dirty towels from glass/interior cleaning. It's also very gentle on microfiber and leaves it nice and soft.
For those that live in the South, Publix Super Markets has Purex Buy One, Get One Free this week. I stocked up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:30 PM   #37
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
For those that live in the South, Publix Super Markets has Purex Buy One, Get One Free this week. I stocked up.

That's a great deal Mike, if they had one of those stores where I live, I'd get some too!

Old 12-10-2016, 06:19 AM   #38
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
my wife washes mine.so far so good.im not using expensive microfiber but i dont want to throw them away after one use either.speaking of which its about time i got off my butt and did some car waxing...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:39 AM   #39
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
my wife washes mine.so far so good.im not using expensive microfiber but i dont want to throw them away after one use either.speaking of which its about time i got off my butt and did some car waxing...

You don't need to spend a lot of money to get good quality microfiber.

The Rag Company and Microfiber Tech sell towels for much less then the detailing sites do.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:38 PM   #40
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Sounds good to me.

So here is another pic of a towel cleaned with Purex. This is a Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy XL.

Why am I posting this pic? This is the most expensive towel I own @ $45.99, and I still trust it to Purex, it's so large I couldn't get the entire thing in a close up pic. It's 40" x 26". I've owned it for a year, used around 30x, and it's still perfectly clean with no stains anywhere on it.

Am I posting this to brag or boast? Absolutely not. Just to prove that I'm so confident with the Purex, that I would use it on the most expensive towel I own.

Is this towel really needed? No, it's kind of overkill for a Camaro, the standard size DMC is all that's really needed. This towel is however great if your drying a large SUV or truck.

Forgive my sarcasm, but I'd like to see a pic of JR using this towel once and throwing it away.
Great post. The DMC is most expensive towel I have, and first wash I did with a branded microfiber wash it came out with blue (color of the wash fluid) stains on it....doesn't have an impact on softness of the towel, but a stain none the less. Will say I'm otherwise happy with the microfiber wash, but when it runs out may give the Purex a try. Sounds like a much better value.
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:57 AM   #41
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMBO View Post
Great post. The DMC is most expensive towel I have, and first wash I did with a branded microfiber wash it came out with blue (color of the wash fluid) stains on it....doesn't have an impact on softness of the towel, but a stain none the less. Will say I'm otherwise happy with the microfiber wash, but when it runs out may give the Purex a try. Sounds like a much better value.

Curious which microfiber specific soap you used that had dye in it? I would tend to think you may have mixed a blue towel in the wash with the DMC, and it had some bleeding which stained your DMC.

The Purex again, is what I use for wash mitts, drying towels, waterless wash towels, rinseless towels, glass towels, wheel towels, and compound/polish towels.

I've found the microfiber specific soaps to do a better job of removing sealants/waxes on towels for those applications.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:07 AM   #42
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Curious which microfiber specific soap you used that had dye in it? I would tend to think you may have mixed a blue towel in the wash with the DMC, and it had some bleeding which stained your DMC.

The Purex again, is what I use for wash mitts, drying towels, waterless wash towels, rinseless towels, glass towels, wheel towels, and compound/polish towels.

I've found the microfiber specific soaps to do a better job of removing sealants/waxes on towels for those applications.
It was the Blackfire microfiber wash. It's a blue/purple-ish color. It's super thin, so to get it to work properly in newer washers I find you need to pour it right on the towels and not in the detergent slot (seems to drip right into the drain if you do that). Made the mistake of pouring it a bit liberally and it stained my white towels. Since then I only pour it right on black / dark towels and don't have the problem anymore.
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote