Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-26-2010, 03:58 AM   #29
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekel View Post
OK Junkman, I forgot a couple of other questions, I forgot to ask what is the techniques when doing concave, convex and edges of body panels.

And Lastly how do you maintain your pads, the white black and orange, plus your rags?

Thanks,

John
Okay, here is your thread! I explain my pad washing technique here. Here's what I do for microfiber towel care.

How to Wash Microfiber Towels

First off, you only want to wash them in COLD water. DO NOT use a lot of soap. My towels never get very dirty or greasy because they are only used to wipe polish or wax from the car, thus I can use a gentle detergent like Woolite. You don't want to use the hash detergents like the stuff you use on your regular clothing. If your towels are a little dirtier than normal, let them soak in the washing machine overnight. Simply add the proper amount of Woolite to the washer, add the towels and fill the washer to the proper level. Use the gentle cycle to wash these towels. Allow the wash cycle to begin for 1 minute so that the Woolite has a chance to mix with the towels and then shut the washer down. Let it sit for as long as necessary (overnight if that's what you need, shorter times for towels not as bad), and then start the washer back up later.

DO NOT use any fabric softener of any kind! Do not use too much Woolite! Read the bottle, a little goes a long way. If 1x is good, 2x is worse in this case. Also NEVER. EVER, EVER wash these towels with any other article of clothing, especially bath towels and wash clothes. That will ruin them too.

After the wash, DO NOT DRY THEM IN A DRYER USING HIGH HEAT!!! (if you do, you may as well use them to check the oil because they are useless at that point). I don't use a dryer at all. I allow them to air dry. String up a clothes line in your garage or outside somewhere and buy some clothes pins (if you can find some, that's some old school equipment right there!). If fabric sheets are used with these towels, it will destroy them. That will cause them to start scratching the crap out of your car. Drying them in the dryer with too much heat will do the same thing, that why I tell guys never to machine dry them.

If you follow these rules, your towels will keep the consistency and softness that they had from day one. If you allow your wives or girlfriends to do this, trust me, they will screw them up unless they have read this. Don't assume that they know how to do this and don't let them tell you that they know what they are doing when it comes to microfiber. They do not own, nor have they probably ever owned a piece of material like this so they will not be aware of these requirements. Test them before you hand them over and see if they get it right. I guarantee they won't.

I just had a funny thought. I would love to see the look on some of your wives faces when you ask for some Woolite.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:56 AM   #30
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Junkman,

Thanks SO Much, will have to wait to try these techniques a couple of days, A wonderful "Lady" decided my wonderful car was too pretty sitting in the parking lot all by itself and decided to park right beside it and introduce her door to mine.

How I love inconsiderate people, and as she stated " Sir why are you so upset? It's just a car"

So my question is how long do I need to wait after my car is repaired to work on the paint, etc..... Thanks
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #31
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekel View Post
Junkman,

Thanks SO Much, will have to wait to try these techniques a couple of days, A wonderful "Lady" decided my wonderful car was too pretty sitting in the parking lot all by itself and decided to park right beside it and introduce her door to mine.

How I love inconsiderate people, and as she stated " Sir why are you so upset? It's just a car"

So my question is how long do I need to wait after my car is repaired to work on the paint, etc..... Thanks
That is a question that you MUST ask the person who paints your car. Rule of thumb says 60-90 days during colder climate and 30-60 in the summer but it totally depends on what kind of paint the painter uses. I can tell you this for sure, NEVER use any sealants for the first 90 days. That could create one nasty paint blemish that will NOT be covered by any kind of warranty.

Now I have a question for you. So where did you bury the body?

Old 02-27-2010, 02:17 AM   #32
baysinger
baysinger

Drives: 2010 IOM M6 SS
Junkman, I am a little confused. You said on your video the SHR was less aggressive then the FMP. Then on this thread you stated just the opposite. Which is it? I need to know. I have very light swirls in my paint and am going to correct these when my Adams kit comes in.
baysinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:08 AM   #33
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by baysinger View Post
Junkman, I am a little confused. You said on your video the SHR was less aggressive then the FMP. Then on this thread you stated just the opposite. Which is it? I need to know. I have very light swirls in my paint and am going to correct these when my Adams kit comes in.
Did you just watch the videos and not read the thread? Go back and look at the text in my first post associated with video 6. I tell people to not just watch the videos from You Tube without reading the initial post because they totally miss my notes that I place in the first post.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 12-30-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #34
GRSCAMARO
RS 10 SS

Drives: 2010 ABM RS/2SS L99
Junkman:

Great vidoes. Very informative and educational.

I had my 69 Camaro painted several years ago. I went the semi-econo route and found a retired paint&body guy that painted cars at home. Once the car was painted using "base/clear" approach, he did me a favor and cut and polised the car. The clear may have been flat but the car was one big swirl mark. It looked horrible in the sunlight.

Long story short, I friend is a Zainoite and came over with his new PC. We used Zaino ZPC and an orange polishing pad from Lake Country but could only get some of the swirls out of the paint. It looked better so I purchased my own PC kit to finish the car.

Fast forward to last week...I found your videos on this site and found our problem. We had the PC set on 1 because we were afraid of burning the paint. After seeing your videos I had the confidence to crank up the PC, first to 3 then to 5 and finally to 6. Set on 6 and using Zaino PC, the difference is amazing. Very much like your videos the swirls disappeared with a little work. The 69 finish is nearly a perfect as the new SS.

I also put a black mark the backing plate to help see the motion of the pad. Nice trick!

I finished the hood and front fenders yesterday. I look forward to completing the entire car.

Thanks again for posting the videos. My 69 thanks you for it.

Best 1/4 Mile Run: 11/20/2010 SGMP 13.299 @ 106 mph (2.05s 60ft)
Mods to Date:
Painted Rally Stripes by Body's by Doug
ABM Painted Splash Guards & Engine Cover
Tinted Windows by Sunbusters
CAI Kit by Cold Air Inductions (installed at C5FestI)
GRSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #35
bucky1399
bucky1399

Drives: 1LT, '99 Chevy ZR2
Great videos Junkman! What do you think of the waterless wash on a black car with light dust/pollen? I like the thought of not having to wash the car everytime I get a little dust on it but don't want to do that and end up with scratches everywhere.
bucky1399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #36
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRSCAMARO View Post
Junkman:

Great vidoes. Very informative and educational.

I had my 69 Camaro painted several years ago. I went the semi-econo route and found a retired paint&body guy that painted cars at home. Once the car was painted using "base/clear" approach, he did me a favor and cut and polised the car. The clear may have been flat but the car was one big swirl mark. It looked horrible in the sunlight.

Long story short, I friend is a Zainoite and came over with his new PC. We used Zaino ZPC and an orange polishing pad from Lake Country but could only get some of the swirls out of the paint. It looked better so I purchased my own PC kit to finish the car.

Fast forward to last week...I found your videos on this site and found our problem. We had the PC set on 1 because we were afraid of burning the paint. After seeing your videos I had the confidence to crank up the PC, first to 3 then to 5 and finally to 6. Set on 6 and using Zaino PC, the difference is amazing. Very much like your videos the swirls disappeared with a little work. The 69 finish is nearly a perfect as the new SS.

I also put a black mark the backing plate to help see the motion of the pad. Nice trick!

I finished the hood and front fenders yesterday. I look forward to completing the entire car.

Thanks again for posting the videos. My 69 thanks you for it.
Thanks for watching.

I personally don't recommend working the PC at a speed of six using ZPC as it breaks the polish down too fast and you take a chance at micro-marring the finish. This damage shows up at night under bright lights, not so much during the day. I would stick with the PC set at a speed of 5, 9=14 pounds of pressure and taking your time to work the polish. Following this technique will mean that there is less work for you to do when you follow it with Z2 which should always follow ZPC as it really beats up the finish. Adam's Fine Machine Polish is another great product that you can follow ZPC with although I always tell people not to mix the brands like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky1399 View Post
Great videos Junkman! What do you think of the waterless wash on a black car with light dust/pollen? I like the thought of not having to wash the car everytime I get a little dust on it but don't want to do that and end up with scratches everywhere.
You are a perfect candidate for this thread.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:13 AM   #37
GRSCAMARO
RS 10 SS

Drives: 2010 ABM RS/2SS L99
Junkman:

Thanks for the advice. I will stick with a speed setting of 5. I have both Z2 and Z5 to followup the ZPC. Zaino recommends Z5 on darker colors followed by Z2.

Since I have invested in so much Zaino products I will stick with it until it is gone. I may convert over to Adams afterwards.

Best 1/4 Mile Run: 11/20/2010 SGMP 13.299 @ 106 mph (2.05s 60ft)
Mods to Date:
Painted Rally Stripes by Body's by Doug
ABM Painted Splash Guards & Engine Cover
Tinted Windows by Sunbusters
CAI Kit by Cold Air Inductions (installed at C5FestI)
GRSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:01 AM   #38
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
junkman,thanks.i have seen many car care videos.yours is by far the best.maby we can hook up.where are you located?
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #39
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRSCAMARO View Post
Junkman:

Thanks for the advice. I will stick with a speed setting of 5. I have both Z2 and Z5 to followup the ZPC. Zaino recommends Z5 on darker colors followed by Z2.

Since I have invested in so much Zaino products I will stick with it until it is gone. I may convert over to Adams afterwards.
Zaino is a good product! Nothing wrong with using it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post
junkman,thanks.i have seen many car care videos.yours is by far the best.maby we can hook up.where are you located?
What's up homie! I'm in Old Louisville. This video should give you some idea where I'm at. What color Camaro do you have? I'd love to check out the condition of your paint. You're welcome to drop by, just let me know.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #40
rjs

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs black M6 inferno orange
repairing the damage

I have a new blk 2ss and when i got the car it had a few micro scratces on the hood. I had the dealer see if he could remove them and what they did was use a foam pad on the car and now I have buff swirls all over. I dont want them to touch it again. How should i go about repairing the damage done?
rjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #41
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs View Post
I have a new blk 2ss and when i got the car it had a few micro scratces on the hood. I had the dealer see if he could remove them and what they did was use a foam pad on the car and now I have buff swirls all over. I dont want them to touch it again. How should i go about repairing the damage done?
Good question. The process that you see in my videos does not change as to the order the products are used. However, steps can be omitted if they are deemed as unnecessary. For example, if you do the baggie test and your paint reveals to you that it does not need to be clayed, then you can move on to the Swirl & Haze Remover (SHR). If you car is brand new and the swirls are extremely light, then you may be able to skip SHR and go straight to the Fine Machine Polish. You must have a understanding of what each step of the process does in order to decide what you should use to remedy your situation.

Since I can't do the baggie test on your paint or see how bad the damage is, you have to make the decision on what you should do. Or, report back here with more details on the condition of your paint and post some really good and clear pictures that show the damage.

Does that make sense?

Old 03-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #42
rjs

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs black M6 inferno orange
Thanks for all your help. I will do the baggie test later and report back my findings
rjs is offline   Reply With Quote