Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 07-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #309
ChevyCobb

Drives: Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARNAGE.SS View Post
yeah whats up with a comparison with an amg? there nowhere near the same class, or price. put those extra 30k into the camaro an its an AMG ASS WHOOPIN
If you are putting $30,000 in a Camaro, you need better money management

Quote:
Originally Posted by povanic View Post
The merc engine is good for 217 mph
as said the camero is a good car but to compare the two engines is stupid
the camero engine is a budget special compared to the german monster it's most probally one of the best super car engines out there today!

ChevyCobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #310
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCobb View Post
If you are putting $30,000 in a Camaro, you need better money management

Hey, we are involved currently with 3 different Camaro projects that are budgeted well into the upper 6 figures!. One is a 1200rwhp and a wide body!

So there are lots of very creative characters out there doing tons of cutting edge stuff. Look what the premeir builders like Nickey Camaro and Fesler-Moss are doing. Look at the awesome work that Lingenfelter is doing. All very exciting to see for sure

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #311
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by povanic View Post
The merc engine is good for 217 mph
as said the camero is a good car but to compare the two engines is stupid
the camero engine is a budget special compared to the german monster it's most probally one of the best super car engines out there today!

I don't know if I'd quite call it a budget engine in comparison. The Merc makes somewhere around 500 bhp (in AMG form) and the LS3 can easily get there with a few tweaks.

I'm not saying the AMG engine isn't fantastic, I'm just saying don't sell the LS3 short.

and how do you figure an engine is good for 217 mph? the engine only goes as fast as the car it's sitting in. and the merc only does 180ish

I don't know how accurate these dyno sheets are... but there's lots of cars on these very boards that dwarf these numbers

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...no-Sheets.html

I know, dyno numbers aren't the be all end all. but it's a good way to stack engines up against eachother anyway
Old 07-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #312
The Flash

Drives: Firebird 95, Equinox 05, Camaro 2SS
This was dissapointing at many levels

I feel that TG entirely missed the boat this time.

So much so, that I actually believe that they couldnīt get any other appropriate comparison car for that episode (Audi S5 for instance) and that's how the E Class AMG got the spot to begin with.

TG is about entertainment above all: they are irreverent and funny (in the peculiar british humor) and therefore anyone should not feel seriously offended by any remarks or jokes made on the show. I lived and worked in London for five years so I kind of got the 'gist' in which the show is viewed by their home crowd.

However this comparison was not even close to funny, it was absurd.

When shoping around, before I bought the CAMARO I seriously considered the Mercedes Benz E class: BUT NOT THE SEDAN!! much less the AMG version of it.

The V-8 E Class Coupe is to me a more adequate match, in price (a fully loaded LS3 SS2 trades for about USD$60K in my home turf) as in engine size and car weight.

Then dynamically (acceleration, stopping and gripping) and visually there is (at least to me it was) a clear winner : the CAMARO came on top, marginally , but on top nevertheless.

I think that car would have made a fair, useful, entertaining comparison. I also think the auto tranny CAMARO would have crammed the auto tranny MB.

AMG is the "tuner" coach works for MB, therefore a fair comparison would have been to bring a CALLAWAY CAMARO, or an SLP CAMARO against such tuner car.

These tuner cars are closely matched both in price and the degree of craftmanship placed on them by their coachworks to the AMG E Class.

I waited eagerly for this episode, but was a dissapointing waste of time... even for a brit humored TV show.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #313
ChevyCobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flash View Post

Other than the price and lap time, not much was compared. And the only thing with the lap times was that they were shown at the same time.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #314
HashimAzzouz

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM ~ 2009 Traverse LT
I'm reading the pages through my iPad! I watched the video from my iPad too! I can't watch it now!! Why is that!! Tran, any idea???
HashimAzzouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #315
ChevyCobb

lol...flash
Old 07-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #316
95GranTurismo5.0

Drives: Firebird, mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
I feel that TG entirely missed the boat this time.

So much so, that I actually believe that they couldnīt get any other appropriate comparison car for that episode (Audi S5 for instance) and that's how the E Class AMG got the spot to begin with.

TG is about entertainment above all: they are irreverent and funny (in the peculiar british humor) and therefore anyone should not feel seriously offended by any remarks or jokes made on the show. I lived and worked in London for five years so I kind of got the 'gist' in which the show is viewed by their home crowd.

When shoping around, before I bought the CAMARO I seriously considered the Mercedes Benz E class: BUT NOT THE SEDAN!! much less the AMG version of it.

The V-8 E Class Coupe is to me a more adequate match, in price (a fully loaded LS3 SS2 trades for about USD$60K in my home turf) as in engine size and car weight.

Then dynamically (acceleration, stopping and gripping) and visually there is (at least to me it was) a clear winner : the CAMARO came on top, marginally , but on top nevertheless.

I think that car would have made a fair, useful, entertaining comparison. I also think the auto tranny CAMARO would have crammed the auto tranny MB.

AMG is the "tuner" coach works for MB, therefore a fair comparison would have been to bring a CALLAWAY CAMARO, or an SLP CAMARO against such tuner car.

These tuner cars are closely matched both in price and the degree of craftmanship placed on them by their coachworks to the AMG E Class.

I waited eagerly for this episode, but was a dissapointing waste of time... even for a brit humored TV show.

Mercedes "AMG" would be more closely considered to something like Fords "SVT". So it's still an in house thing, slp and callaway are not so much.
95GranTurismo5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #317
MarcZ

Drives: 94z28, 70 z28 clone project
I don't know why but it really pisses me off that the whole world seems to put the Mustang on a pedestal and is mostly unaware of the Camaro. This coming from someone who actually likes both cars. TG does this too, they've tested numerous Mustangs and Hammond even has an ugly 60's coupe with some poorly done stripes. Watching them test those cars, I wondered if they were even aware of the rival of the car, the Camaro, which has often beaten, sometimes lost and tied with the Mustang in performance throughout the years and how surprised they would be (or not) at the performance of a 2002 SS.

Someone on the finalgear forums compared the Camaro to the Challenger and called them "grandpa cars which historically aren't muscle cars but pony cars, and the only real muscle car is the mustang". LMAO, he also thinks the Camaro is too big, despite being only 2 inches wider and longer than the mustang, compared tot he challenger's 10 inches longer on the mustang. The pony car deal is one thing which is argued often, but to say that the Mustang which started the pony car segment is seperate and is the only real muscle car? Give me a break! that epitomizes what I am talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroCamaro View Post
The guys at top gear are very aware of pedders equiped cars
How do you know this?

And good luck to you pedders, you'll need it because chances are they'll just turn their noses up in the air over it, assuming the email reaches them.

Last edited by MarcZ; 07-15-2010 at 08:43 PM.
MarcZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #318
The Flash

Drives: Firebird 95, Equinox 05, Camaro 2SS
Since GM does not make an in-house tuner CAMARO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95GranTurismo5.0 View Post
Mercedes "AMG" would be more closely considered to something like Fords "SVT". So it's still an in house thing, slp and callaway are not so much.
Point is well taken. I concurr that A Ford SVT is an in-house tuner car as much as the AMG Mercedes Benz is.

Yet, since GM does not have an in-house tuner version of the CAMARO the SLP would have been a close equivalent.

For many years SLP produced a tuned-up version of the PONTIAC FIREBIRD (at the time the CAMARO sibling) called the FIREBIRD FIREHAWK.

This was done in association with GM: when ordering your FIREBIRD at an approved GM dealership you just checked a couple of boxes in the order form and GM obligued by sending your car to SLP for a thorough modification (suspension, intake, exhaust, differential, brakes, engine, and body work) then got it back from SLP and then delivered to the dealer.

GM delivered the car to the dealer not SLP: is the closest it got to become an in-house tuner.

So an SLP CAMARO would have the fair choice of car to run side by side to the E AMG (some forum members mantain that it was not an actual comparison) in the same segment of the show.

The Flash
Old 07-15-2010, 11:29 PM   #319
Dangerzone

Drives: 2008 EvoX
I know its not Top Gear related but, Jason Plato of Fifth Gear will be reviewing the Camaro SS on the July 22nd episode. (A small clip was shown on the end of the Fifth Gear 17Ũ07 episode (torrent download.)) I wonder what his review would be like?
Attached Images

Dangerzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:33 AM   #320
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Aww! Just enjoy it. It was funny in a Brit sort of way. To me, it was kind of uplifting. A Chevy Camaro was compared to a Euro luxury car. Can't tell if their standards are getting lower or our quality is getting higher, but I love my car and it nice to see that its even getting recognized overseas. Need to have the next revolution and have American car companies outsell BMW and Mercedes in Europe. I know - keep dreaming At least we can own a muscle car, instead of something that is ugly, smug, or stuffy.
gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:21 AM   #321
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotroost View Post
Aww! Just enjoy it. It was funny in a Brit sort of way. To me, it was kind of uplifting. A Chevy Camaro was compared to a Euro luxury car. Can't tell if their standards are getting lower or our quality is getting higher, but I love my car and it nice to see that its even getting recognized overseas. Need to have the next revolution and have American car companies outsell BMW and Mercedes in Europe. I know - keep dreaming At least we can own a muscle car, instead of something that is ugly, smug, or stuffy.
At least c*cks don't drive Camaros, lol (You have to watch the show to understand the referrence...)

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #322
ChevyCobb

Ha, that is true.
*Looks in garage* Nope! no Audi or BMW for me