Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-22-2020, 10:31 AM   #1
Pearlj10

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
Straight pipe options to replace HFC

I’m seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on the Overkill stage 1 SC. I don’t want to run the risk of burning up the BBK high flow cats behind the LT headers. Any options still available that would be a simple R & R process (that bolts up nicely to the header flanges) to get rid of the cats? Thanks
Pearlj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:18 PM   #2
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
If your state doesn’t require smog emissions go with a cat delete. My county requires emission tests so I run the stock cats.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:54 PM   #3
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Go to a exhaust shop and they will just remove your cats and weld in a pipe. Should be under $100 for parts and labor
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #4
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
Go to a exhaust shop and they will just remove your cats and weld in a pipe. Should be under $100 for parts and labor

+1, it doesn't look like BBK sells a catless variant so you couldn't ask them to purchase cat deletes that would match.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:16 PM   #5
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
If your state doesn’t require smog emissions go with a cat delete. My county requires emission tests so I run the stock cats.

So does mine, but I removed the secondary cats. They're not monitored.
Car runs fine, and I just passed PA emissions today. Some places may
look, and see the tampering, and fail you. However, they should see that
the primary cats are still there. They're cheap hi-flow down-pipes too,
needed spacers.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:06 PM   #6
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by '10CamaroDude View Post
So does mine, but I removed the secondary cats. They're not monitored.
Car runs fine, and I just passed PA emissions today. Some places may
look, and see the tampering, and fail you. However, they should see that
the primary cats are still there. They're cheap hi-flow down-pipes too,
needed spacers.

High flow metal cats will melt with a supercharger.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 05-31-2020, 02:21 AM   #7
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
High flow metal cats will melt with a supercharger.
The CAT material my melt, but the pipes and CAT housings won't. Then
you will have catless down-pipes if all the substrate is melted out.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:30 PM   #8
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by '10CamaroDude View Post
The CAT material my melt, but the pipes and CAT housings won't. Then
you will have catless down-pipes if all the substrate is melted out.

They don't melt out. They melt together and can cause extreme damage due to being a complete exhaust blockage. Ceramic cats can break down, metal cannot. There's a couple threads here about SS guys melting high flow cats, and I know sycraft had a supercharged V6 and melted his cats too.

Tags
cats, exhaust, supercharger