Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-16-2020, 09:35 PM   #1
Mattzkatz

Drives: Not yet, but soon
On the fence....

I’ve posed a similar thread on the z/28 forum and thought I’d try this side as well and see how it goes.....lol

So, I’m looking at going either 5th gen ZL1 or z/28 a little later this year and while I’m trying to do my due diligence and research, I am tormenting myself (and wife along the way lol) with all of my back and forth. I’ve read PAGES AND PAGES AND PAGES on both the z/28 and ZL1 and truly don’t feel that I can go wrong with either car.

I’m not going to track the car which says ZL1, but there’s just something about the z/28 that keeps drawing me in. My fears are LS7 heads, ride, lack of features with the z/28. My fears with the ZL1 are supercharger, typically “higher” miles (not necessarily a bad thing), mag ride issues & just isn’t the z/28 lol.

My question here is...how concerned would “you” be as a shopper with the mag ride issues and the ZL1?? Just as a side note; why is it such an issue with the 5th gen ZL1? Does it also effect the CTS-V or 6th gen cars?? The head issue is a heavily debated topic in the z/28 section, but the mag ride seems fairly common and repetitive for some here from the threads I’ve read. I know I “could do” coil overs, but I could also do heads for the z/28 (or buy one with them already done). I truly think I’m making this WAAYYY more difficult than I have to, but just trying to pro/con my way through while I’m narrowing down cars. Currently I have some ZL1s and z/28s saved in my watch lists, but need to vent some of my thoughts/homework out so I don’t go completely insane!

Thanks for letting me vent hahaha
Mattzkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:38 PM   #2
Mattzkatz

Almost forgot...my use for either...

Gonna be a DD, BUT for me DD is about 5k miles per year. I only live 2.5mi from work lol So either choice will basically be the equivalent of a “weekend car”
Old 04-16-2020, 11:35 PM   #3
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
Glad to see you posting this in the ZL1 section as well. I am in a similar situation as you and I did the same exact thing a little while back earlier this year posting in both forums when I was looking to hear what both Z owners had to say. I believe I shared some advice with you in the Z28 forums. Even though I don’t own either one of these cars yet. I really think the best thing you can do is drive both of them when you can and really get the feel of them. I don’t know if you drove both yet but they are really great cars and can’t go wrong with either.

Since they have their pros and cons like I mentioned before to you if you really like either one of them you will be able to deal with those cons. You’re the one whose gunna make that ultimate decision honestly but it is nice to hear what others have to say as sometimes it may help with that decision. I myself go back and forth with those cars as well with similar things you have mentioned and it can drive us nuts. All you can really do is weigh out the pros and cons do your research drive them both and bring your wife with you to check them out too. Really wishing you the very best in your decision pal and be patient but just remember life is short so enjoy which ever one you choose!
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:36 AM   #4
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
If it matters...

Know that no Z28's:
-are automatics
-have radios
-convertibles
-have sunroof
-some didn't have ac

As I dd, as I age, I want some of these things. The Z28 is stellar as a raw track focused car. Although, I can still get in my trucks w/ roll down windows.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:23 AM   #5
rednecks70

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, '70 Chevelle 454
While I never considered a Z28 I can tell you the power of a ZL1 is addictive. I have yet to drive my ZL1 and not have a big smile on my face! My car has a cold air intake and I love hearing the supercharger whine while getting pushed back into my seat. It's just a feeling that never gets old and I can't image what it would be like with some upgrades (my car is basically stock).

I would say definitely drive both. It sounds like you really want the Z28. Is it because of the looks? I have seen ZL1's with Z28 wheels and front end swaps so you could have the best of both worlds.

Good luck with your decision! Take the proper amount of time no matter how long and agonizing it is.
rednecks70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #6
Mattzkatz

Thanks for the replies guys! The sunroof, automatic, convertible aren’t “big” concerns currently. My 6yr old would LOVE a convertible, but for me I don’t personally think I’d have the same enjoyment from it. I had a JK Jeep a few years ago and barely took the top off. I think that was more due to the aggravation of doing it myself, but either way I don’t “miss it” which tells me I wouldn’t get the enjoyment out of the convertible. Plus, the verts don’t have recaros and those are my preference at the moment. As far as the automatic....it just doesn’t have the right asthetic in the 5th gen cars to me. It looks kinda bulky and outta place IMO. The 6th gen auto console doesn’t seem to stand out or bother me as bad, but for some reason the “looks” of the console/shifter area doesn’t “do it” for me in the 5th gen cars. It’s kinda aggravating honestly, b/c I’d REALLY enjoy having remote start Hahahaha & it would help make this decision a little easier. Matter of fact, I’ve debated the 6th gen 1LE for this exact reason....it’s getting the A10 and would have the remote start and all the bells and whistles, but so would EVERY OTHER ONE lol. It wouldn’t be “different” which sways me back to the z/28 my current beater is a ‘97 Corolla that basically has power windows and I added a remote start as far as “features” go lol, so I think I can survive in a z/28 and lack of features.

Just need the weather to make an upswing in IN again and get passed all this COVID crap so I can start trying to sit in & drive some cars!
Old 04-17-2020, 09:29 AM   #7
Mattzkatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
If it matters...

Know that no Z28's:
-are automatics
-have radios
-convertibles
-have sunroof
-some didn't have ac

As I dd, as I age, I want some of these things. The Z28 is stellar as a raw track focused car. Although, I can still get in my trucks w/ roll down windows.
I’m only watching the AC/radio optioned z/28s. They’re pretty easy to spot if the seller puts up the right pictures. For the radio/ac cars you just need 1 good pic of the engine bay and you can see the ac line on the driver side of the engine bay. For the cars that don’t post that picture it takes a little more research lol, but if it’s got an AC, it’s also got a radio. The NO ac cars are the ones that only had the single speaker/door chime setup
Old 04-17-2020, 09:58 AM   #8
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
If you think you have trouble deciding, I have owned 3 ZL1s and 2 Z/28s! I keep going back and forth because I can't decide which one I love more and my wife will only leave me room for one toy in the garage, LOL!

I am currently driving a ZL1, but I can see myself going back to a Z/28 one day...

Drive them both and decide for yourself. Good luck.

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:41 AM   #9
Mattzkatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/28Dan View Post
If you think you have trouble deciding, I have owned 3 ZL1s and 2 Z/28s! I keep going back and forth because I can't decide which one I love more and my wife will only leave me room for one toy in the garage, LOL!

I am currently driving a ZL1, but I can see myself going back to a Z/28 one day...

Drive them both and decide for yourself. Good luck.

Funny you posted! I’ve spent hours reading back through some of your threads and posts b/c your AGM z/28 is currently for sale in South Carolina lol
Old 04-17-2020, 12:53 PM   #10
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
I love both cars myself but at the end of the day do you want a forced induction powerhouse or do you want a N/A car? The Z28 doesn't have the straightline capabilities of the LSA powered ZL1. You can make power very easy with the LSA. The LS7 is an amazing motor and if you just want to put a big cam in there I can't knock the logic. It'll be fast and sound amazing. I'd really like a Z28 and I'll have one one day for sure but turning up the boost on a LSA is so much fun. Pumping out 650-750rwhp on a LSA car is so easy.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:36 PM   #11
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I have owned both of these cars and I now own my 4th ZL1 and I would not trade it for a Z/28. Mine had A/C and radio and it was ok but not near the car I think as the ZL1. My ZL1 is a automatic and that has no bearing against the manual shift in the Z/28 but the ZL1 is addictive and I am always thinking about when I am going to drive it next. Mine is stock other than a cold air filter and it has plenty of power like it is and I am very happy with it. It is your decision but for me I am stuck on the ZL1.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:55 PM   #12
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
I'd really like a Z28 and I'll have one one day for sure but turning up the boost on a LSA is so much fun. Pumping out 650-750rwhp on a LSA car is so easy.
Amen, brother. Now that I've had this car, I don't think I'll ever buy a naturally aspirated car again. This kind of power is too much fun (and I still want more).

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:28 PM   #13
Mattzkatz

Thanks guys!! I know ultimately it’s “my decision” and this exact topic has been hashed back and forth numerous times and if posed in the z/28 section its going to be more pro-z/28 biased. It’s just fun to read others experiences (especially those that have or have had both).

So it doesn’t seem like anyone has mentioned my suspicions in regards to mag ride concerns? Is that a “ghost” issue that is more rare/random and just another “consumable” item? You get a lot of “heads, brakes expense” in the ZL forum when talking about the z/28, but in the z/28 forum the heads aren’t that big of a concern to most owners and brakes can “last forever” unless your at the track and being super aggressive with the car lol Truky a first world problem getting the pleasure to debate between these 2 platforms and being able enjoy!
Old 04-17-2020, 03:22 PM   #14
Scooter18155

Drives: 2010 ss/rs 6 speed manual
My opinion is this I would go zl1 just because you get creature comforts like radio, convertible or sunroof, and anything else you can’t get with a z28. If you like the z28 suspension over the zl1 add it! If you like the z28 brakes over the zl1 add them. Body panels easily changed out! Then you can make your car unique to yourself exactly how you want it. You’ll have all the creature comforts you can get in the zl1 which means it’ll be more pleasurable to drive! Sure this option will cost some $ for sure but it doesn’t have to be done overnight. And lots of people here I’m sure would gobble up your zl1 take offs to help offset those extra costs.
This would be my game plan if I could afford a zl1 or a z28. I was lucky and squeaked by financially buying my used 2010 2ss/rs and just finished paying it off last oct. So I basically taking my ss and slowly bringing the car along to what I want it to be and If I was to sell trade my car it would have to be something super special.
2010 camaro ss/rs, standard 6 speed, ls3 motor, bmr subframe connectors, jba 3” competition Exhaust, stainless works 1 7/8" headers, adm cold air intake, hurst short throw shifter, bo white ported tb, mishimoto aluminum radiator, mishimoto oil cooler.
Scooter18155 is offline   Reply With Quote