Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #1
13HotWheelsSs

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ss hot wheels eddi
First mods question

I am looking to do my first mods to my 2013 camaro ss 2. It has the npp exhaust, but I want it to be a little louder. I was thinking of doing kooks long tube headers with high flow cats and leaving the rest of the exhaust, but I’m not sure how much that will increase the sound. Another thought I had was doing the borla atak exhaust, but you have to do the zl1 cat back. If anyone has any other suggestions it would be much appreciated. I was also wanting to know if I went with the long tubes and high flow cats should I get it tuned then or wait till I get more on it. It is a daily driver so I wasn’t gonna get too crazy with it yet. Thanks for all the feedback in advance.
13HotWheelsSs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:46 PM   #2
mpsgolf

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformer
My understanding is that with LTs you have to get a tune especially to get the hp benefits. You should get lots of advice here.
Mods: trunk subwoofer and amp, LED lighting (fogs, interior, trunk), skip shift eliminator, CAI cold air kit, Vmax ported throttle body, Stainless Works retro chambered cat back, JBA Cat4ward SS ceramic coated headers
Potential Next Mods: Tune, F&R sway bars, rear cradle bushing inserts and trailing arms
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:13 PM   #3
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
Headers and highfliw cat make a good difference in sound, cam really makes a big difference
Old 07-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #4
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Headers, HFCs, CAI (if you still have stock one), tune

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:15 PM   #5
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Literally TONS of exhaust options out there for us. Check them out on YouTube and find the sound you like. If you ever plan on lowering be sure to ask how far down the headers hang underneath.
No idea on your budget but for the money, a tune is a must! Totally changes the car and you can get them via email from most reputable tuners. Any options you could want in a tune. Or you could buy a tuner and tune it yourself with less options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2019, 07:17 PM   #6
PepeLePew

Drives: 2010 2SS Coupe; 2011 2LT Vert
Long tubes are an amazing bang for the buck and the sound will be awesome. I agree with others that you need a tune for sure since you'll probably get a CEL even with HFCs without a tune... plus you'll get better performance out of it.

Keep the NPP though. You won't pick up any performance from the Borla Atak and the NPP is the exhaust of choice among those who know. I wish I had it!!!

Also... cam it... it will be a whole new beast if you do!!!

Welcome to the forum and enjoy modding.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:21 PM   #7
13HotWheelsSs

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ss hot wheels eddi
Thanks for all the advice kinda just confirmed what I was wanting to do to it. Gonna do CAI long tubes and high flow with a tune probably leave the rest alone for now I would like to cam it but I have heard it’s not the best thing to do for a daily but I’ll keep looking into it and probably convince myself to do it someday
13HotWheelsSs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:04 AM   #8
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
Kooks headers, catless mids, and the NPP. Love it.

https://youtu.be/IpeU6qhXz7k
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:17 AM   #9
Roader

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetjackson View Post
We hire the latest cutting-edge rental technology and technical event solutions.
Few months early on promoting your loot from storm Area 51
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:27 AM   #10
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetjackson View Post
We hire the latest cutting-edge rental technology and technical event solutions.
A lot of spam this morning on the forums...

OP to answer your question, I would absolutely go with the long tube headers and cats and leave the NPP alone. If my car had an option for NPP out of the factory I would have left my catback alone. Long tube headers and NPP are just heavenly.

As for a tune, you will need a tune when you do long tube headers. As others have said, do a cold air intake as well before tuning which may mean delaying your headers for a short period of time while you save up for the intake, but it will be worth it in the end. Enjoy and happy modding!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:05 AM   #11
ZEN357

Drives: 1991 Z/28 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13HotWheelsSs View Post
I am looking to do my first mods to my 2013 camaro ss 2. It has the npp exhaust, but I want it to be a little louder. I was thinking of doing kooks long tube headers with high flow cats and leaving the rest of the exhaust, but I’m not sure how much that will increase the sound. Another thought I had was doing the borla atak exhaust, but you have to do the zl1 cat back. If anyone has any other suggestions it would be much appreciated. I was also wanting to know if I went with the long tubes and high flow cats should I get it tuned then or wait till I get more on it. It is a daily driver so I wasn’t gonna get too crazy with it yet. Thanks for all the feedback in advance.
I'd go with a Borla ATAK if you are going to replace the exhaust system. Then get it tuned.

https://www.jegs.com/c/Exhaust-Syste...29561&sbv=true
ZEN357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #12
frey.199

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Are you looking for sound or hp or both? I run LT's and no cats. It's pretty loud. Hi-flow is still going to be pretty loud. It's noticeable from afar between 2-3000rpm and very noticeable any higher.

You don't really need to tune asap for LT's though. I wouldn't suggest running it for more than a few months though, can be fuel inefficient and probably not good long term. Won't hurt much though. You'll have CEL's popup on your dash though till you do tune it.
frey.199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:14 AM   #13
frey.199

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice kinda just confirmed what I was wanting to do to it. Gonna do CAI long tubes and high flow with a tune probably leave the rest alone for now I would like to cam it but I have heard it’s not the best thing to do for a daily but I’ll keep looking into it and probably convince myself to do it someday
If you get a smaller cam, you'll be fine daily driving. Don't let the "don't cam a daily driver" scare you away. Their is many people who drive cammed cars daily. My car actually had a pretty small cam and had zero issues driving it. Many options as well as far as cams and what you're looking for.
frey.199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:59 PM   #14
Roader

Drives: Camaro
I DD a tsp stage 2 and the. Gpi stage 4 no problem
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote