Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-04-2010, 07:16 PM   #15
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Eric View Post
Push your OnStar button and they can tell you what the code is and what might be causing the problem, then come back to the forum and see if there is quick fix!!!!
Fantastic idea!
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #16
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Hey Doc! Remember when we both said we will never MOD our Camaros?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #17
seddon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Blackhawk View Post
Dont pay anything to have your code read. Take it to another dealer, tell them thanks but no thanks.
+1 Take it somewhere else, my dealer recommends which aftermarket parts should be installed and even installs some of them. I would order my corsa though them if they didn't charge $1800 installed.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #18
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Let us know what the CEL is. I have gotten codes caused by a CAI before.

GM is looking at voiding warrenties because of CAI's. I don't really blame them. From what I've seen most of the CAI's throw the tune way off.I've seen L-terms max out at part throttle on some cars.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #19
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
How do they know your CAI caused the code?

Magnuson-Moss Act--- look it up.. They can't legally void/ not honor a warranty for something that is unrelated.

example- If you add an aftermarket radio, and your Windshield washer motor goes out-- they have to replace that part.. It is unrelated.

Now if you have an aftermarket radio/amp etc. on factory speakers, and the speaker blows-- the factory speaker will not be replaced.

Simple stuff.

If the CEL was determined to be caused by the CAI,, then you should pay the bill, but only if it is caused by CAI.

On Star Diagnostics would be a good idea.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:44 AM   #20
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post

GM is looking at voiding warrenties because of CAI's. I don't really blame them. From what I've seen most of the CAI's throw the tune way off.I've seen L-terms max out at part throttle on some cars.
Can you name all the ones that throw your FT's off? I know of only 1 but I haven't seen the FT data from the ERA or VR units. The Volant is known to max out your LTFT's and throw a code. The majority of the rest have been proven to NOT alter your LTFT's much or at all. I know my Halltech was right about what the OEM setup did to LTFT's.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #21
DocHolliday

Drives: '14 Blade Silver Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Hey Doc! Remember when we both said we will never MOD our Camaros?
I do SSOOCH...a time long ago, far away! Awaiting the verdict this morning on what the light was for, I wish I had just pressed the damn on star button like the fellas here suggested. I'll let you all know what they have to say.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #22
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Docholliday, I would tell them to stick it. I am so glad I have a great relationship with my dealer. They would never do something like that to me. I swear some of these dealers think this is the only car you will ever buy from them. I've done mods to cars that really affected the warranty to several cars over the years and my dealer always warranties the car. We should start posting the names of dealers like this so they can be outed for their poor customer service. Maybe there is already a thread like this I don't know.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #23
Rookie13
Hooked on AutoX

Drives: 1SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Rookie13
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post

Slowhawk, please elaborate on your statement for me - for some reason common sense tells me, NO WAY! Ok sure, if I take my car to the dealer to get fixed with AM Parts on it that are related to the failure/repair issue sure - but just a Warno Light shouldn't just tell them to void my powertrain warranty. Would it?

That shouldn't void any warranty on the engine at all. Someone with more knowledge on this please help...

Doc: I am sorry it happened to you, but this is a good lesson for those who are in the process of installing/purchasing a CAI. Thanks for being our guinea-pig, brother!
Rookie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #24
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
With your mods, you should probably pick up a code scanner - you can get a pretty nice one for under $100. I like the Actron scanners and they're available everywhere. Be sure to get one that also resets codes, so you can turn them off and see if they come back.

You might just have a loose gas cap.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #25
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie13 View Post
Slowhawk, please elaborate on your statement for me - for some reason common sense tells me, NO WAY! Ok sure, if I take my car to the dealer to get fixed with AM Parts on it that are related to the failure/repair issue sure - but just a Warno Light shouldn't just tell them to void my powertrain warranty. Would it?

That shouldn't void any warranty on the engine at all. Someone with more knowledge on this please help...

Doc: I am sorry it happened to you, but this is a good lesson for those who are in the process of installing/purchasing a CAI. Thanks for being our guinea-pig, brother!
That's right. It is illegal for the dealer to void a warranty just because a car has after market parts installed. The proper protocol would be to look at the car and determined what is causing the light to come on first and then see if it relates to the CAI ,and they have to prove that the CAI caused the light or they have to warranty the car. I wouldn't pay them a penny until they prove that the CAI caused the code.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #26
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
I do SSOOCH...a time long ago, far away! Awaiting the verdict this morning on what the light was for, I wish I had just pressed the damn on star button like the fellas here suggested. I'll let you all know what they have to say.
Damn, after all this, you chose to pay?
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #27
HIGHOCTANE

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
OK...going to get flamed I am sure...but if you can't even begin to troubleshoot a CEL(especially when ONStar will tell you what codes are posting) and you ask and people tell you that and you still take it to the dealer. Maybe you shouldn't be modding your car.?..sorry,really not trying to be rude..but DAMN!
I think if I was a dealer I'd charge too...especially if it ends up being a loose gas cap...

BTW chances are very good they already knew what the problem was when they called,they likely pulled the codes before they popped the hood and just wanted to get you to agree to the fee for diagnostics they had already done...
So chances are it is related to your mods,vacuum leak/lean trims or exhaust leak(can let oxygen into the exhaust and throwsoff O2 readings)loose connector,ect or something simple like a loose gas cap...JMO

2010 IBM 2SS/RS Camaro (M6)
Previous rides:
2003 Twin Turbo Mustang Cobra(900 RWHP)
2004 KB S/C Mustang Cobra(700 RWHP)
2003 Mustang GT,Heads,Cam, N20 ect..

Last edited by HIGHOCTANE; 05-05-2010 at 12:15 PM.
HIGHOCTANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #28
unccescape

Drives: Camaro 2LT/RS CGM, Ford Escape
I have a CAI and catback on my current ride. When I had engine trouble I was charged extra to diagnose the issue b/c they said when they hooked up my car to the computer all the reading where not right or factory so it was harder to find the problem. Turned out to be a clogged cat on one of the headers. Maybe that is why they are charging you?
2500, Order preferenced - 3/16/10
3000, Order accepted by production control - 3/18/10 TPW 4/19/10
3300, Order scheduled for production - 4/7/10
3400, Order broadcast - 4/15/10
3800, Order produced - 4/19/10 #112,852
4000, Available to ship - 4/21/10
4200, Shipped - 4/22/10
5000, Delivered to the dealer - 5/6/10
6000, Delivered to the customer - 5/7/10
unccescape is offline   Reply With Quote