Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-31-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
jnm2003

Drives: O2 GMC & 2010 camaro SS IBM 6M
1st and 2nd gear problems. 1SS 6M

Any help with my SS M6 problem? GRINDNG/NOTCHY FEELINGS
3300 miles ODO.
THANKS ahead of time bc this is long but explains in good detail. And I heard of others havin similar problems with different causes, but not explained enough to know if it’s the same thing as mine.
Before I had many problems 1) clutch sticking to the floor on hard launches, 2) descently more than normal drivetrain noise with daily driving, 3) when shifting 1st through 4th gear I had hesitation/notchiness feeling at ANY RPMS 4) slowing to 30 mph and downshifting to third or shifting to 2nd at like 10 mphs, I could hear and feel slight grindiness as if it was the synchros in the tranny. 5) have to granny shift into second when aggressive driving

I fixed a good bit of the problems so far. From doin research and seeing improvements in some of my friends cars, I put Mobil 1 Dex III ATF in the transmission. I switched to Super Dot 4 brake/clutch fluid from GM to help with clutch fluid breakdown and do a flush every so often after aggressive driving! I also installed the hurst short throw shifter and it helped a lot bc the stock shifter is Garbage!!
But i still have a few slight issues..same things causing each problem I donno!! So any good info is very useful!

These are much fewer but same problems in more detail
1ST PROBLEM--my 1st and 2nd gear feels notchy EVEN sitting at a red light. If i try to put it directly in first it goes in everytime but is notchy, also notchy when I go to second. But every now and then they are both smooth. If I go from 1st to 2nd to 1st to 2nd and back in 2nd to 1st blah blah blah a couple times all of a sudden my 1st and 2nd are like butter goin in everytime. sometimes it takes just once of going 2nd to 1st and sometimes it takes 3 or 4 times. Does it first thing in the morning on start up and after a while of driving. So temps should be out of the question.
Sometimes when at a stop just cranking the car, or even at a redlight after the car is warmed up, playing with the shifter it completely blocks me from second, but when I go up in first or another gear and back to second it goes in. It would go about half way and just absolutely no further into 2nd.
2ND PROBLEM and the problem I would like to fix the most!!!-- when i try shifting into 2nd while hammering the throttle at the track or street it trys grinding instead of just being notchy and has made me miss a few shifts. I let off and slowly get it in gear so its not severely damaging when it does. Its 95% smoother while granny shifting from 1st to 2nd at higher RPMS! I dont know if its because of something snagging my shifter on swift shifts or what. Or If it could possible be the slave cylinder. 2nd to 3rd smooth, 3rd to 4th smooth etc. But at high rpms it does it going into second!! I thought maybe im pulling the shifter too fast down before fully depressing the clutch but Ive practiced shifting the same timing of clutch and shift going 3rd to 4th and its smooth like every other gear. And also randomly very very very few times i notice while aggressive driving it shifts completely smooth from 1st to 2nd

-Its ridiculous to have to granny shift a sports car when it was stock and still now with a short throw.. did it the stock so the hurst shifter being the problem.. unlikely!
-Could it be the slave cylinder problem.. but y would it do it while chilling at a red light.. I would believe it to possibly be the cause when more at high rpm shifting tho!
-My best guess but im no mechanic!!!.. Could I have something external on the tranny near the shifter keeping it from smooth 1st to second or opposite, and keeping me from shifting quickly into second which causes me to miss?? I heard of some people having problems with the Ebrake boots or something like that but I don’t know if that has anything to do with it.. and don’t know where to look to see if it is. This does kinda make since if it is the problem bc in 1st and 2nd gear the upper part of the shifter is leaning left meaning the lower end of the shifter is cocked towards the right which is where the Ebrake is. But that is just a guess, it may not even be close to it to be able to do this I donno. I would just like to know if it could, and where to look, bc I live in an apt and cant just jack my car up to look under it.

Im descently knowledged about vehicles and I don’t want to have to bring it to the dealer bc my car is my baby and unless it’s a pretty expensive fix or recall, I like to be the one to work on it or have a friend that has a shop to do it where I don’t have to leave my car. And I hate dealers and also random people workin on my stuff. But I do know someone that even with a couple mods they wont hassle me about my warranty even if it doesn’t void it so im not worried about that.
Just any knowledgeable info would be helpful bc im most like going to have it on a lift again this Friday and I can check the shifter out and anything else.

2010 camaro SS/RS Manual IBM.
NEW TIME 12.24 @ 114 mph. -[B] street tires, Hurst short throw, Halltech yellow jacket intake, AR long tube 1 7/8 headers, and a tune.
12.82 @ 110 MPH 1.92 60ft ALMOST Bone Stock ONLY MOD IS Borla mufflers.
jnm2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
one word fix: DEALER.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:59 PM   #3
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
check and make sure the shifter didn't void your warranty.
you definitely need to see your dealer.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:08 AM   #4
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Sounds like you might have messed up the tranny a bit from powershifting and missing a couple times...
Old 04-01-2010, 02:57 AM   #5
jnm2003

Drives: O2 GMC & 2010 camaro SS IBM 6M
It made was notch and slightly grinded since not after gettin the car. Yea it progressed some but it it would go into gears easily after a month of having it and never missed a shift til later. I'm not sayin it didn't hurt it when I did tho. Just why do I have to hold the clutch longer for a normal car to shift at high rpms? Or why sitting dead stopped it feels notch in first and second until I play with the shifter back and forth? Don't the synchros play a part if not Any in shifting at a dead stop? The tranny isn't moving to need the synchros or am I wrong? Anyone know what to do or tools I need to bleed the slave on the car to get air out? I know the procedure just havnt done it. And do I have the clutch depressed or not when doing even if it's just to see if air comes out? Or do I need it pressed at All times while bleeding the valve?

2010 camaro SS/RS Manual IBM.
NEW TIME 12.24 @ 114 mph. -[B] street tires, Hurst short throw, Halltech yellow jacket intake, AR long tube 1 7/8 headers, and a tune.
12.82 @ 110 MPH 1.92 60ft ALMOST Bone Stock ONLY MOD IS Borla mufflers.
jnm2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
Jarhead
Semper Fi Camaro

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Aqua Blue LS3 Gauge PKG
Second the dealer recommendation.
Thought (off the hip) Check for full clutch disengagement , or over extending. Could have a bad/damaged disc, warped pressure plate, or other related issues too.

Just some ideas to look into.

Hope you find the problem and get it fixed.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #7
Blackfly

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS/ 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm2003 View Post
Any help with my SS M6 problem? GRINDNG/NOTCHY FEELINGS
3300 miles ODO.
When i try shifting into 2nd while hammering the throttle at the track or street it trys grinding instead of just being notchy and has made me miss a few shifts. I let off and slowly get it in gear so its not severely damaging when it does. Its 95% smoother while granny shifting from 1st to 2nd at higher RPMS! I dont know if its because of something snagging my shifter on swift shifts or what. Or If it could possible be the slave cylinder. 2nd to 3rd smooth, 3rd to 4th smooth etc. But at high rpms it does it going into second!! I thought maybe im pulling the shifter too fast down before fully depressing the clutch but Ive practiced shifting the same timing of clutch and shift going 3rd to 4th and its smooth like every other gear.
I have this issue.

I have a 2011. Bought it in June.

================
2002 Black/Black SS- Finally! 350RWHP!
2011 IOM Camaro 2SS
Automotive Blog- Cars, Fast cars and Faster Cars!
Blackfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:22 PM   #8
fahimghaffar

Drives: 2018 Camaro ss
I have a 2018 Camaro SS

I am having same 2nd gear issue. One the customer got it fixed and found out that is a defective transmission housing. Here is the link to the video. https://youtu.be/FxngwiF7_Wg

GM knows about it but they are telling their dealer to tell customers that it is normal. Everybody, we need to report this issue to NHTSA.gov. Here is the link for that https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

All these camaoros have defected transmision housing which is causing multiple symtoms. For example, hard to shift to 2nd when upshift or downsift, 2nd gear popping out and shift into neutral, missing 2nd gear and sometime grinding.
I spoke to 2 dealers and they both have different openion. One says that i need skip shift eliminater and the other one says that it is normal to have symtoms like that also Advised me not to use the 2nd gear. Which is bad beacuse we spent a fortune buying this car and then we are unable the use 2nd gear.

Please everybody, go NHTSA website and file a complain because they are not going to fix it until government institution files a lawsuit against GM
fahimghaffar is offline   Reply With Quote