Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-06-2023, 04:59 PM   #29
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
No difference, just having a little fun between friends with ZME

Sorry buddy, they are both 13's, I will sell the vert top, keep everything else, especially that rear end since its one of the rare M6/3.73's. Just keep taking good care of it for me..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:22 PM   #30
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Sorry buddy, they are both 13's, I will sell the vert top, keep everything else, especially that rear end since its one of the rare M6/3.73's. Just keep taking good care of it for me..
Well, it still won't work because mine's black and yours isn't. Your wheels are different as well.

Nice try.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 11:42 PM   #31
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Well, it still won't work because mine's black and yours isn't. Your wheels are different as well.

Nice try.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 11:47 AM   #32
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Well I finally got the new supercharger for my car but only after I complained to GM. I would go by the chevy service dept about every 2-3 weeks checking to see if it had came in and got the same answer everytime, no it is showing backordered here on the computer is what I was told. So with the weather getting some nicer I would like to have my car ready to drive. So on friday February 10th I stopped by the service dept and got the same story. I got home and got on the computer and sent an email to GM complaint and a lady got with me right then and I told her my problem. She told me she would have an answer for me by monday the 13th. Monday morning she emailed me and said to check with the service dept at the chevy store. I waited until the next day which was tuesday and went into the service dept and as soon as the service dept guy saw me he ask what i did because the supercharger showed up that morning. I told him what I had done and he said well it worked cause GM got it here quick. So I question if they really did order my parts maybe because it does not pay the mechanic much and he did not want to do it or some other reason I am not aware of or if me complaining really was all it took to get the parts? Remember they told me they ordered the parts in mid november. If me doing that to get the parts might be a heads up for others if they get hung out like I did. Just a FYI
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 05:50 PM   #33
Limelight

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 coupe
I think supply is starting to flow because my dealer got mine in too. But I’ve decided I’m going to get a solid Eaton isolator put on at a performance shop when my headers go on instead. I have a low mileage babied car and I didn’t want the risk of a remanufactured unit or a spring isolator going in and have the work done by some junior mechanic. Every time I bring a car to a dealership, it comes home with two scratches and more problems.

I’d rather pay a pro to fix the isolator than go through the warranty. The cost out of pocket is worth my peace of mind.
Old 02-18-2023, 06:36 PM   #34
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelight View Post
I think supply is starting to flow because my dealer got mine in too. But I’ve decided I’m going to get a solid Eaton isolator put on at a performance shop when my headers go on instead. I have a low mileage babied car and I didn’t want the risk of a remanufactured unit or a spring isolator going in and have the work done by some junior mechanic. Every time I bring a car to a dealership, it comes home with two scratches and more problems.

I’d rather pay a pro to fix the isolator than go through the warranty. The cost out of pocket is worth my peace of mind.
Yours did not come with the solid isolator? Dang I hope mine does! I know for awhile they were shipping them with the solid one installed in them but I did read where someone here while back said his was the spring isolator. I am going to find out before they install it. If it is not the solid one I will do what your saying. I know a guy who does that and my car will be at his shop right after it leaves the chevy store.
Old 02-18-2023, 07:36 PM   #35
Beachguysc

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert - inferno orange
I just got my 2013 zl1 convertible m6 delivered today. I bought it long distance with 9700 miles on it. I did have a mechanic check it out, and he said all seemed good. But when I got it today, I swear I can hear a faint rattle. Not as bad as some of the videos I’ve watched. But it seems to be starting. As luck would have it, my car was first sold 10 years and 2 weeks ago. So 10 year warranty is barley expired. Any chance my local dealer can “sneak” me in? I’m going to take it down there Monday morn and try. Maybe have some other service done.. what other fluids, or maintenance should I have them change? I do know oil was done recently.
Beachguysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 03:25 PM   #36
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachguysc View Post
I just got my 2013 zl1 convertible m6 delivered today. I bought it long distance with 9700 miles on it. I did have a mechanic check it out, and he said all seemed good. But when I got it today, I swear I can hear a faint rattle. Not as bad as some of the videos I’ve watched. But it seems to be starting. As luck would have it, my car was first sold 10 years and 2 weeks ago. So 10 year warranty is barley expired. Any chance my local dealer can “sneak” me in? I’m going to take it down there Monday morn and try. Maybe have some other service done.. what other fluids, or maintenance should I have them change? I do know oil was done recently.
Well first congrats on getting a fine performance car. Your going to love it! I sure would get your car there first thing in the morning. If your service guy is not a prick he could back date it like for two weeks or maybe GM will go ahead and fix it for you. The service guy can come up with some excuse I would think. Like you had covid and could not bring it there or the weather or something! I would just drive the car for now but maybe just check all the fluid levels and enjoy it. Good luck and follow up with us what they did on your car for the rattle.
Old 02-20-2023, 05:03 PM   #37
Limelight

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
Yours did not come with the solid isolator? Dang I hope mine does! I know for awhile they were shipping them with the solid one installed in them but I did read where someone here while back said his was the spring isolator. I am going to find out before they install it. If it is not the solid one I will do what your saying. I know a guy who does that and my car will be at his shop right after it leaves the chevy store.
I asked the dealership and they confirmed in writing that the replacement is a new unit and it has a solid isolator. I’m just not convinced that it’s not a remanufactured unit and since my car was never abused and is very low mileage, I’d rather just get a solid Eaton isolator installed at a performance shop that I trust vs a young mechanic taking my engine apart at the dealership. It’s around $300 parts and labor so not breaking the bank.
Old 02-21-2023, 06:26 AM   #38
Beachguysc

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert - inferno orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelight View Post
I asked the dealership and they confirmed in writing that the replacement is a new unit and it has a solid isolator. I’m just not convinced that it’s not a remanufactured unit and since my car was never abused and is very low mileage, I’d rather just get a solid Eaton isolator installed at a performance shop that I trust vs a young mechanic taking my engine apart at the dealership. It’s around $300 parts and labor so not breaking the bank.
That’s probably the route I’ll go. I’ve watched a few videos and it doesn’t seem that complicated. Plus, I have a mechanic buddy that used build race car motors that can help me out.
Beachguysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 02:56 PM   #39
Bigtime53

I thought about just having that done but was afraid of having more damage than just the isolator so I decided to let chevy fix it. I may regret it but it is there now. As far as a reconditioned supercharger I figure it is the ones that have went bad on customers cars then the dealer ships them back to GM and they fully recondition them and send them to the dealers who need one. That's ok with me as long as it has the solid isolator in it. If it does not then I will be a little po'd and will sure enough get a solid one installed. I will post here what happens when I pick it up. They said it might be ready to go wednesday which is tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:45 PM   #40
bsn

The replacement superchargers are new not rebuilt-they dispose of the old ones. I would be very surprised if they are coming with a solid isolator, it is the original style isolator with grease. The springs add dampening and that's what Eaton recommends. The rattle is more of an annoyance than an actual problem, the groove that gets worn in the center shaft does no harm. The whole rattle problem has been way overblown. The bottom line is if you have no rattle or a slight rattle you don't need to do anything. If its bad go ahead and put in a solid isolator-if the noise doesnt bother you youl be fine as is.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 08:50 PM   #41
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsn View Post
The replacement superchargers are new not rebuilt-they dispose of the old ones. I would be very surprised if they are coming with a solid isolator, it is the original style isolator with grease. The springs add dampening and that's what Eaton recommends. The rattle is more of an annoyance than an actual problem, the groove that gets worn in the center shaft does no harm. The whole rattle problem has been way overblown. The bottom line is if you have no rattle or a slight rattle you don't need to do anything. If its bad go ahead and put in a solid isolator-if the noise doesnt bother you youl be fine as is.
I respectfully disagree with you on not doing anything if you hear the rattle. It will eventually damage the motor. I also would like to know how you know that when a supercharger goes back to GM that they send new ones back instead of reconditioning the ones that have been returned to them. Everything you have said has been discussed on this forum over the years and no one has ever stated what you have. No offense to you just wondering where your getting your info.
Old 02-22-2023, 12:43 AM   #42
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
When the 'rattle' issued was first raised back in (i believe 2013), it was stated that the entire SC assembly was made by Eaton and was considered a 'field replaceable unit' meaning if something went wrong with any part of the SC assembly, the entire assembly was replaced and sent back to Eaton as a unit.

Back then, Eaton published a description of the rattle issue ( I wish I had kept a copy) that described the construction of the isolator and why it was made the way it was including an explanation of the purpose of the spring loaded shaft and how/why the spring would wear a grove in the shaft.
If I recall, the idea was that the gears that drive the rotors inside have a small amount of backlash, and that when the engine changes rpm, up/down, it causes a small amount of vibration.
This vibration is meant to be absorbed by the spring loaded shaft of the isolator. the shaft of the isolator was made a bit softer than the hardness of the spring to help absorption of the gear lash vibration, resulting in the groove wearing into the shaft.
Unfortunately, people objected to the sound of the rattle.
The original TSB description stated that if the rattle was heard at idle, but went away as the engine rpm increased to (i believe) 1500 rpm, then the rattle was considered normal.
If the rattle was still present as the rpm was raised, then it warranted a replacement.
The initial quick remedy was to replace the isolator with a solid one that did not include the spring.
Eaton then decided that the whole purpose of having a spring loaded isolator to absorb the gear lash vibration was still a necessary thing to insure a long life of the SC, so they went back to the spring loaded isolator but then packed it with grease to help dampen the rattle noise.

As far as I know, the SC assembly is still considered a unit as a whole GM ships them back to Eaton.

I have no idea what Eaton does with the units that are sent back.

Considering the description of the isolator and it's spring, I venture an guess that the vibration and it's issued were considered an issue to ensure a long life of the SC.

Will the SC unit begin to have issues well down the road (1,2,300.000 miles)? if it's changed to a solid isolator? I have no idea.

Yes I know many if not all speed shops will install a solid isolator and the probably wouldn't if they knew it would shorten the possible life of the SC, but who knows what the consider as an expected life of the SC. How many modded engines are used for 200,000 miles.
Again I have no idea,

In the end, all I know is that the spring was designed as part of the isolator for a reason. I simply choose to trust the engineers that designed the unit.

My sc was indeed replaced by GM under warranty back in early 2013 and has worked without any issues since then and now is at around 54,000 miles. I have no intention of ever selling the car, and yes it has seen several beginners track days.

What I have chosen to do is simply my choice.
What you choose to do is your choice.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote