Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 07-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
MudderFinger

Drives: 2011 IOM SS/RS
Even INJ #9 fuse blowing

Wanted to see if anyone had any ideas for me, I have narrowed this done to the Coils and or wiring, but the fuse keeps blowing intermittly while driving and I lose one half of the engine firing. The fuse is supposed to be for Even Injectors and coils, however when it blows the fuse I set codes for Injector control on the Odd cylinders 1, 3, 5, & 7. This was happpening over a week ago and I swapped the entire coils packs and brakets from one side to the other, and the fuse blowing went away for over a week, now it is still blowing same ODD INJ fuse #9, does anyone have any ideas for me to check to futher narrow this down and find root cause. I wish it would blow as soon as putting new fuse in cause it would be easier to find. Thanks for any help/ideas.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Melting the fuse sounds like a wire shorting to ground. Have you inspected the even cylinders wiring to the injectors and the coil packs? A wire sheathing may be chaffed and intermittently touches the intake or fuel rail.

Just livin' life
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:00 PM   #3
MudderFinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
Melting the fuse sounds like a wire shorting to ground. Have you inspected the even cylinders wiring to the injectors and the coil packs? A wire sheathing may be chaffed and intermittently touches the intake or fuel rail.
I have done that numerous times but maybe I should look again, I was also thinking about coil harness inside of plastic gaurds on brakets maybe. I also have no short when checking it with multimeter so it only happens while driving
Old 07-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #4
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
a fuse blows for two reasons: either to much voltage, to much current, or a combination of the two.
Reading your initial post, I'm confused about the fuse. Is it the EVEN fuse or the ODD fuse, because you mention both?

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:42 PM   #5
MudderFinger

It is even fuse but setting codes for odd injector controls
Old 07-28-2015, 05:09 PM   #6
2SSCAMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
a fuse blows for two reasons: either to much voltage, to much current, or a combination of the two.
Reading your initial post, I'm confused about the fuse. Is it the EVEN fuse or the ODD fuse, because you mention both?

The OEM type fuse's element will melt when a hot wire is shorted to ground or when a current draw in excess of the fuses' rated amperage generates enough heat to melt the element. Think about it for a minute, many guys with BAP's jack the voltage up to 18 to 20 volts and no fuses are blown. I doubt the car's electrical system could ever generate any more than about 16 volts.

Just livin' life
Old 07-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #7
MudderFinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
I had a stainless steel hose for my Oil catch can and it rubbed the wire for Coil pack #1 and shorted it to ground, I already expected something like this but had really been paying more attention to the other side sense it was Even fuse, but finally had a code for #1 Injector circuit control that lead me to check that coil very well. Thanks for your suggestion as it caused me to relook at things I had already looked for.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #8
2SSCAMARO

That's great. Nice find. It's bad enough when you know what the problem is and have to fix it let alone when you can't zero in on the root cause and the problem persists.

Just livin' life
Old 06-05-2020, 09:03 AM   #9
Inferno6256
SS Killer

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Inferno Orange
I have my #9Fuse keeps on blowing when I press hard on the gas pedal, otherwise nothing happens.
Already changed the relay but it reoccurred. Any help?
Inferno6256 is offline   Reply With Quote