Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-04-2018, 01:09 PM   #1
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
Am I reaching the limits of my stock bottom end?

Hey everyone. My car is full bolt ons, GPI VVT SS1, LSA supercharger with a 2.75 pulley. My tuner says the car makes about 550 to the wheels on 91 octane fuel. I’ve spoken with him about adding an aux pump so I can run e85 but he tells me he’s worried I’m reaching the limits of my stock bottom end. The car has 88k miles, all well maintained but higher miles nonetheless.
Do you agree that I’m reaching the cars limits and I shouldn’t take it any farther?
When I’m ready to upgrade the bottom end (hopefully I’m ready for a bottom end before my car is) what should I be looking to change?
Would meth be a good option? I know it would make it a bit safer and pick up a little power but I’m worried the pump will fail and the engine won’t get the meth it needs.
Let me know your opinions. Thanks
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:37 PM   #2
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
You're not close to the SBE limit, but likely are with fuel.
(also depends on how good your tuner is - bad tune can blow you at your level now)

I think meth should used to lower air intake temperatures, not "add" octane.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
SynergyGreenSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
You're not close to the SBE limit, but likely are with fuel.
(also depends on how good your tuner is - bad tune can blow you at your level now)

I think meth should used to lower air intake temperatures, not "add" octane.

Yeah I agree, I’m reaching the limits of my fuel system. I’m running ID1050X injectors so I think I’m okay in that department but I’m on a zl1 fuel pump with no voltage booster. That’s something I’ll need to address if I decide I want to go any farther
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
Old 08-04-2018, 03:43 PM   #4
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
ZL1 fuel w/o BAP yields 600whp
ZL1 fuel w/BAP 650whp

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:57 PM   #5
gsxrturbo

Drives: 2010 ss
Im at 845 whp no problem.all in the tune!!
gsxrturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #6
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
With powdered rods and hyper pistons, most anything is a ticking time bomb.

I've seen a number of motors come apart with less than you are running now, and I've seen claims of 1000 RWHP glory pulls on a dyno.... Some of the glory runs were a one time thing, where they already had a motor waiting to install (with forged components) and some of them were a one time thing with the power dialed way back after.... I bet the majority of the guys claiming huge numbers are not driving the hell out of the car very often if at all, or they have a plan "B" for when things come apart.... I saw three Gen 5 Camaro LS motors scrapped in one weekend at a standing mile event... It was actually 4, but only three of them were SBE.

These in my opinion are 1, wasteful, or 2, an ego thing....

If you trust your tuner, and he says you are at the limits, then listen to him and not a bunch of guys sitting behind keyboards with no investment or worries.

If you don't trust him, then go find someone you do trust and listen to them....

Tuning is critical, but running huge numbers on a SBE isn't all about the tune.... This is pure and simply pushing components way beyond their design limits and then blaming a tuner if it comes apart....or praising one if they get lucky and it doesn't blow itself apart... Powdered rods and hyper pistons are not designed for those numbers... Regardless of what anyone says....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #7
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
I've been turbo 3 years. 1st year at 600+ 2nd year at 700+ and 3rd year at 800+ and before that I had a nitrous plate kit for a year or so. Still on the same original LS3 motor. Always ran good fuel E85 and have meth now as well. High octane and a safe tune these motors will last if not abused
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:51 PM   #8
GPI Aaron

Drives: 2008 Z06
Methanol and high quality racing oil. if the fueling and ignition events are correct in the calibration it will amaze you what they will tolerate. We have many stock bottom end LS3 and L99s running for years at 700 to 750 rwhp. Crank pistons and rods are actually very good in these engines when lubricated with the good stuff. we find the block is the weak link when subjected to extreme cylinder pressures.
GPI Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #9
Bandit63

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPI Aaron View Post
Methanol and high quality racing oil. if the fueling and ignition events are correct in the calibration it will amaze you what they will tolerate. We have many stock bottom end LS3 and L99s running for years at 700 to 750 rwhp. Crank pistons and rods are actually very good in these engines when lubricated with the good stuff. we find the block is the weak link when subjected to extreme cylinder pressures.
What oil would you recommend?
Old 08-04-2018, 06:47 PM   #10
SynergyGreenSS

Quote:

Do you think my fear of the methanol pump failing is irrational? It just worries me a little that the engine then relies on meth
Old 08-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #11
bct10985

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3, 2013 duramax
The type of forced induction also makes a difference. I think a centrifugal is easier on parts with its linear power delivery and doesnt hit as hard with all that torque at a low rpm. Im still sbe Ls3 17psi from a ysi-b, zl1 pump, bap, id850s and spraying a lot of meth. Went 9.6@145. Tune it myself.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:45 PM   #12
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bct10985 View Post
The type of forced induction also makes a difference. I think a centrifugal is easier on parts with its linear power delivery and doesnt hit as hard with all that torque at a low rpm. Im still sbe Ls3 17psi from a ysi-b, zl1 pump, bap, id850s and spraying a lot of meth. Went 9.6@145. Tune it myself.
145 is making some damn good power, curious what your timing looks like on that it's super impressive
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:02 AM   #13
mrimpala02

Drives: Black 2SS RS w/White Stripes
Quote:
Aaron correct me if I'm wrong, but when you say the block is the weak spot you specifically referring to the thin cylinder sleeves?
Pat G Custom Turbo CamMotion Camshaft | AGP TT BB Garrett 62/65's | AGP/Fore Triple Pumps | ID1700X Injectors | Alky Control Twin Nozzle Meth | Custom 3" Exhaust | 3.27 gear set w/ Tru Trac | McLeod Twin RXT | Barton Short Throw Shifter | 6th Gen ZL1 Wheels | BMR 1.4" drop springs | Pfadt rear trailing arms & tie rods |

Installed by Me & Tuned by Pat G
mrimpala02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:08 AM   #14
mrimpala02

Drives: Black 2SS RS w/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynergyGreenSS View Post
Do you think my fear of the methanol pump failing is irrational? It just worries me a little that the engine then relies on meth
If your tune isnt relying on octane from the meth then a pump failing on you wouldnt be a big deal.

I run the alkycontrol kit and had mine fail after 5 yrs of service. It would still run but started leaking internally. I had it rebuilt, but also pick up a used one that I had rebuilt too so I have a spare pump on the shelf now.
Pat G Custom Turbo CamMotion Camshaft | AGP TT BB Garrett 62/65's | AGP/Fore Triple Pumps | ID1700X Injectors | Alky Control Twin Nozzle Meth | Custom 3" Exhaust | 3.27 gear set w/ Tru Trac | McLeod Twin RXT | Barton Short Throw Shifter | 6th Gen ZL1 Wheels | BMR 1.4" drop springs | Pfadt rear trailing arms & tie rods |

Installed by Me & Tuned by Pat G
mrimpala02 is offline   Reply With Quote