Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #197
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
Sorry...but the issue is that a part might be defective. A part that was unaffected by the mods I performed.

THANK YOU for actually listening...well, not 'listening' so much as it is comprehending what you're reading.

It's also worth noting that last winter I had a 'check engine' code...yet you'll find NO RECORD of me ever visiting the dealer...because I didn't. There were no tech notes or bulletins about a CEL issue...so I assumed it was related to my mods somehow and I dealt with it completely on my own. I'm not out for 'free' repairs or to 'get one over on GM'.

There is NO DOUBT that if I could get a 'do over'...I would absolutely mod the car again. The ONLY thing I would do different is replace the oil pump while the timing cover was already off and save myself some time, $, and, most importantly, mitigate the risk of serious damage to the motor.

Actually, I comprehended what you were saying pages ago and the answer is still the same...you grenaded the powertrain portion of your warranty the minute you tuned the ECM...and you knew it...

You admit in this quote that (in hindsight) you should have replaced the oil pump...did the person performing the mods ever mention this as something you should do "while you were there"?
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #198
tokyov

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
hey...that was good link...thank you!

Now that didn't happen....

Your welcome .
tokyov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #199
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post

This is my sticking point on the whole argument too...Everything done is DIRECTLY related to the oil pump...
The shaft diameter did not charge that is driving the oil pump and and the crankshaft was not modified or touched. So saying it's 'directly' related is a bit of a stretch. The alterations made that would affect the speed at which the pump is operated are negligible at best and there were no changes that would have affected the consistent rate and or volume at which the pump is operated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post
Actually, I comprehended what you were saying pages ago and the answer is still the same...you grenaded the powertrain portion of your warranty the minute you tuned the ECM...and you knew it...

You admit in this quote that (in hindsight) you should have replaced the oil pump...did the person performing the mods ever mention this as something you should do "while you were there"?
I appreciate that you see things in black and white and are willing to accept things as such...it's your choice based on your perspective. It does not make it fact.

When the modifications were done on my car, the oil pump was not a 'common' issue and the modifications that I made would not normally require a higher volume or velocity pump...so from everyone's perspective at the time it would have been overkill. So you can appreciate the thought that went into this, I DID have the timing chain upgraded to a katech when the cam was installed. This recommendation was given, and I supported it, due to timing chain issues that had been seen in the LS3's in vettes. Trust me when I say that I would not have questioned an additional $150 'insurance' part when my car was upgraded. I picked a proven and safe combination for my build. Were it not for a crappy OEM part with a known issue, I would not have a problem with handling this issue entirely on my own.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #200
Bungo
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to Bungo
Quote:
The shaft diameter did not charge that is driving the oil pump and and the crankshaft was not modified or touched. So saying it's 'directly' related is a bit of a stretch. The alterations made that would affect the speed at which the pump is operated are negligible at best and there were no changes that would have affected the consistent rate and or volume at which the pump is operated.

I appreciate that you see things in black and white and are willing to accept things as such...it's your choice based on your perspective. It does not make it fact.
Unfortunately for you Mossman dealerships Do see things in black and white. you changed/altered parts that are DIRECTLY related to the oil pump. Whether the factory oil pump was faulty at the time or not is immaterial. If they do not want to accept the liability of changing your oil pump with the dealership possibly receiving all of the fiscal responsibility is entirely in they're right to do so. As is the old adage. YOU PAY TO PLAY. I have seen similar instances, some of them getting approved by warranty claims, some not. Sometimes when they are not paid to the dealerships the technicians have been forced to pay for the replaced part and not get paid for his/her labor. This is not fair either.

It would be the same as having a perfectly working phone (but with a slight crack from a drop a few months ago) and SUDDENLY it stops working. You will probably be told to purchase a new phone due to the fact that it may have been caused by the drop. It is a bit cheaper of an instance but similar.

I know this doesn't help with your "dealerships suck rant" and for that, I apologize.

and the wife says I have to be patient while she gets dressed
Bungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #201
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungo View Post
Unfortunately for you Mossman dealerships Do see things in black and white. you changed/altered parts that are DIRECTLY related to the oil pump. Whether the factory oil pump was faulty at the time or not is immaterial. If they do not want to accept the liability of changing your oil pump with the dealership possibly receiving all of the fiscal responsibility is entirely in they're right to do so. As is the old adage. YOU PAY TO PLAY. I have seen similar instances, some of them getting approved by warranty claims, some not. Sometimes when they are not paid to the dealerships the technicians have been forced to pay for the replaced part and not get paid for his/her labor. This is not fair either.

It would be the same as having a perfectly working phone (but with a slight crack from a drop a few months ago) and SUDDENLY it stops working. You will probably be told to purchase a new phone due to the fact that it may have been caused by the drop. It is a bit cheaper of an instance but similar.

I know this doesn't help with your "dealerships suck rant" and for that, I apologize.
Did you read the original post? Not once have a uttered a negative word about the dealer or their handling of the issue. Go back and read the first post...
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Old 04-06-2011, 05:24 AM   #202
Bungo
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

regardless, read the rest of my post, not just the end. you chose to quote the whole thing, please read the whole thing.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:07 AM   #203
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
If we all stood together there would be no threads about will this or that void my warranty. Such a PITA...

Not sure why people stick up for dealerships and GM when it comes to them not fixing/replacing a part (especially when there is admittance that it would need fixing/replacing).

You play you pay...but we all paid for a working base. If the base is not right...should it not be fixed?

To OP - hope it works out. I for one appreciate you posting this and want this to be resolved in your favor.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #204
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
as for dealer not wanting to look at it i can tell you from an experience why. I had my diesel looked at recently for a wire fault on the trailer hitch. Well owner before me had some sort of after market light tied into the harness. The dealer would not go further because the aftermarket light was on there. Basically what it boiled down to was some legal mumbo jumbo and the fact that the light might be the reason for it. So I tore off the light and rewired it and it still did it. Come to find out water was in the harness connection and the connector for the trailer lights. So I brought it back and they fixed it. Basically they told me that they are not allowed to touch aftermarket because they could get sued if they break your aftermarket stuff
Old 04-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #205
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
regardless, read the rest of my post, not just the end. you chose to quote the whole thing, please read the whole thing.
I read the whole thing...and I got your point and don't disagree with the dealer associated risk. That's exactly why I told them to HOLD OFF on tearing down...to mitigate both their risk AND my risk. I told you to go back and read the first post because you said 'pay to play'...a statement that I pointed out is not applicable in the terms of how it is often thrown around...(and see below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace View Post

You play you pay...but we all paid for a working base. If the base is not right...should it not be fixed?
You said in one concise sentence exactly what I'm frustrated by....you hit my point dead on. And you did it using the statement that I KNEW would be casually lobbed at this issue.

More than anything, now I'm hoping that I bring awareness to this issue...both for those that are planning on modding your car and risking denial of a warranty claim...and for those whose cars will be going out of warranty in the future. Why should ANY of us get stuck with a very expensive repair for a part that has know issues? Your oil pump could experience the known issue and you'll be left holding the tab for a $1200+ repair bill for just the oil pump. I got lucky, my oil pump failed on an engine restart...no engine damage...however a failed oil pump at the wrong time could have cause MUCH bigger issues and a much larger repair bill.

For those that are un-modded and in warranty and will sell before the warranty expires...you have no worries. For everyone else...my goal is awareness of the issue.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #206
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
as for dealer not wanting to look at it i can tell you from an experience why. I had my diesel looked at recently for a wire fault on the trailer hitch. Well owner before me had some sort of after market light tied into the harness. The dealer would not go further because the aftermarket light was on there. Basically what it boiled down to was some legal mumbo jumbo and the fact that the light might be the reason for it. So I tore off the light and rewired it and it still did it. Come to find out water was in the harness connection and the connector for the trailer lights. So I brought it back and they fixed it. Basically they told me that they are not allowed to touch aftermarket because they could get sued if they break your aftermarket stuff
My dealer has been a gem through this whole experience and has been entirely up front with me. After seeing the other thread where the guy had his transmission thrown in his trunk....I feel fortunate that there are people that I can trust to run an honest business in my town. Additionally, I don't think it hurt that I've been entirely honest with them as well. I did not attempt to hide anything from anyone.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #207
Bungo
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

I know, that here at my dealership (not GM) if you have been as straight forward as you have, and they have been the same. We would have probably goodwilled the work. I cant speak for your dealership but at least they didnt take your bottom end out and stick it in your back seat (just for diagnosis). If I have been course in my previous posts I apologize. I hope everything works out in some way or another for you.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #208
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
I know, that here at my dealership (not GM) if you have been as straight forward as you have, and they have been the same. We would have probably goodwilled the work. I cant speak for your dealership but at least they didnt take your bottom end out and stick it in your back seat (just for diagnosis). If I have been course in my previous posts I apologize. I hope everything works out in some way or another for you.
No worries.

I'll have my oil pump repaired at my own expense. My focus now will be on making sure my compadres(all you knuckleheads on this forum) don't face an 'undeserved' expense due to a faulty part. I would have the same fervent approach if it had been a faulty aftermarket part as well.

Last edited by themossman; 04-07-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:22 AM   #209
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Dealer estimate is 'no more than $1700'...

Part is $150, labor is the killer on this repair...
as has been so resolutely pointed out by many,you have modified the engine much to the detriment,and dismay of yourself.as a result of this action,your warranty is useless.at this stage,a MAN would realize the err of his ways,and stop whining like a little baby...referring to intelligent posters as "knuckleheads" because of YOUR "folly" is insulting,and without merit.
furthermore,attempting to "skew" the facts by presenting an "invalid" argument
is tantamount to the highest levels of "idiocy". admit you was wrong,and stop '"alienating" your fellow enthusiasts.."Pay the man" and get it done!"..just sayin!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:46 AM   #210
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
No worries.

I'll have my oil pump repaired at my own expense. My focus now will be on making sure my compadres(all you knuckleheads on this forum) don't face an 'undeserved' expense do to a faulty part. I would have the same fervent approach if it had been a faulty aftermarket part as well.
So any like "official" update yet, whats the verdict so far? Or are you just paying to fix it and thats it?
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote