Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-17-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
hzisfrom1994
ZYJ

Drives: 2017 1SS Camaro/6 speed
How hard to install a SOLO HFC by self?

As title, how hard is it to install a SOLO HFC? Asked the muffler shop once and was quoted like 500$ - -!!

If it is hard and require certain mechanical knowledge, I guess I will never be able to add HFC to my car. Not paying 500$ to have the muffler shop install it.

Thank you for your feedback and comments!!
hzisfrom1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:46 PM   #2
ratfinkharley

Drives: 15 JKU, 00 S10, 73 Vette, 12 JK
I've been considering to do the same. From my research, it doesn't seem difficult. The bolts on the passenger side are in a tough spot. There is a pretty good write up somewhere on this forum. Here is one... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289627

I wouldn't consider doing it if I did not have a lift in my garage.

$500 seems high. I'd check around at other shops. Probably a 2 hour job for a professional.

RotoFab CAI - VMaxx Ported TB - Apex Catch Can - CFD Shifter - Choppers Inc Loaded Dice Shift Knob
ratfinkharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:42 AM   #3
pinoyscorpion951

Drives: 2016 Bright Yellow 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzisfrom1994 View Post
As title, how hard is it to install a SOLO HFC? Asked the muffler shop once and was quoted like 500$ - -!!

If it is hard and require certain mechanical knowledge, I guess I will never be able to add HFC to my car. Not paying 500$ to have the muffler shop install it.

Thank you for your feedback and comments!!
Damn bro, whats up with the muffler shops in Florida. I have the Solo's and got them installed for $150. I was going to do it myself with a ramp but when I saw what the passenger side looked like, I ditched that plan.
pinoyscorpion951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:13 AM   #4
jcharrier

Drives: 2013 2lt rs
I had mine installed for $100
jcharrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:57 AM   #5
DFWHD

Drives: 45th Anniversary Convertible
This has been frustrating for me. While I've not ordered them yet, I've been calling muffler shops in my area (North of Dallas) and have been quoted between $250 and $450 with one guy quoting $40 (barely spoke english, so he may not have understood what I was asking). A couple of shops didn't understand the bolt on concept and said I'd have to bring the HFCs by and let them look before they could quote. They felt all cats need cutting/welding I guess?
DFWHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #6
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
They probably don't realize that it is a complete pipe, and they are assuming that they will need to cut and weld and adjust, like normal catalytic swaps

I would imagine it's a pretty easy DIY if you have the proper tools.

ChibiBlackSheep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:18 AM   #7
pinoyscorpion951

Drives: 2016 Bright Yellow 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWHD View Post
This has been frustrating for me. While I've not ordered them yet, I've been calling muffler shops in my area (North of Dallas) and have been quoted between $250 and $450 with one guy quoting $40 (barely spoke english, so he may not have understood what I was asking). A couple of shops didn't understand the bolt on concept and said I'd have to bring the HFCs by and let them look before they could quote. They felt all cats need cutting/welding I guess?

Yeah when I brought mine into the shop, the guys in there looked confused when they first saw them. They were insisting that I had ordered the wrong part and/or had missing parts and that it could not be installed. One person was saying that they bolt on to headers and I had to explain that the LFX did not have headers because they are integrated into the exhaust manifold and had to physically show them where they bolt onto. Solo does not provide any instructions for install so I had to show them pictures of a DIY from this forum to help them along. I was getting worried that they might not know what they are doing but so far so good. Just make sure that you retighten the O2 sensors after a few heat cycles. The ones on the drivers side started to rattle after about 500 miles so i put some loctite on them and no problems since.
pinoyscorpion951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I installed the other brand of HFC's myself in about 3 hours, but I had access to a lift. Without a lift, figure it's going to take 4-5 hours. The passengers side is a pain in the butt, but it can be done.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #9
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
I installed the other brand of HFC's myself in about 3 hours, but I had access to a lift. Without a lift, figure it's going to take 4-5 hours. The passengers side is a pain in the butt, but it can be done.
I agree, the passenger side was a pain. It was easier for me to get from the bottom so I would imagine doing it in the driveway would be a ***** but could be done.

I didn't install the hfc but my downpipes/midpipes were more or less the same.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:29 PM   #10
inferno2ls

Drives: 2013 camaro 2ls
Make sure you unplug your battery or you will see sparks! I forgot to and the sparks welded a hole right into my coolant line or transmission line or something! :( was a 400$ fix!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #11
hzisfrom1994
ZYJ

Drives: 2017 1SS Camaro/6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno2ls View Post
Make sure you unplug your battery or you will see sparks! I forgot to and the sparks welded a hole right into my coolant line or transmission line or something! :( was a 400$ fix!!!!!!
DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! THATS CRAZY
hzisfrom1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:54 PM   #12
Ryan87mets

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE M6
its alot easier with a friend! me and my friend did it in like 4-5 hours(including a couple breaks lol) with a set of jack stands in my driveway. i have no mechanical skills either and i was able to do it. just make sure u get an o2 socket for ur wrench. only hard part was passenger side cat taking it off where it connects to the manifold because its like impossible to reach a couple bolts u can do from the top and the rest u gotta get from under the car. also trying to loosen the cats from the rest of the exhaust was a pain but i got a breaker bar and it was alot easier. dont bring it to a shop. do it with a friend save money and u learn a lot too. plus u will feel better that u did it yourself. Good luck!
Ryan87mets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:37 PM   #13
Aero_Sport_Concepts
aerosportconcepts@gmail

Drives: '15 1SS-RS/1LE (RRM)
Hardest part i think was unpluging the dam O2 sensors. The pipes themselves only took me about 1 1/2hrs by myself but to unplug the dam wires took an hour on their own.

Wait tell you hear it. All worth the time spent.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:37 AM   #14
Ryan87mets

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero_Sport_Concepts View Post
Hardest part i think was unpluging the dam O2 sensors. The pipes themselves only took me about 1 1/2hrs by myself but to unplug the dam wires took an hour on their own.

Wait tell you hear it. All worth the time spent.
+1 that's true I forgot about that too. the sensors are annoying
Ryan87mets is offline   Reply With Quote