Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-21-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
513Speed1LE

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Z/28 Questions

Hello Camaro5,

I've owned my 2SS 1LE for almost a year. It's been one hell of a fun car, but it's lacking and I think I'm going to trade up into a Z/28. I do have a couple of questions and pardon me if they have been asked before, the search function didn't yield my exact result.

Can you install the auxiliary gauge pods from the SS into the Z/28?
Can you install the mylink radio unit to replace the barebones one the Z/28 comes with? And will I able able to utilize the backup camera function?

The Z/28 I'm looking at has Bridgestone Potenza re-11's. Is that a common tire that people swap to over the Trofeo? The car's only got 3300 miles on it, so I'm wondering why the swap was done early.

Last question, I've heard in a couple of videos that people say the trofeo's are dangerous on the street. Is this true?

Thanks guys.

Troy
Old 08-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
For your first two questions, contact forum sponser 5thgenDIY, they can help you with mylink and probably the gage pods as well. I have seen a couple with the pods, some of them wont work but it has been done. Mylink has been done.

Yes, Re-11 is a decent tire. Plenty of people run them.

Anything is dangerous in the wrong hands, inexperienced, wrong conditions. If you are going to hit 75mph in the rain, and try to make a corner its not going to end well. If you are going to drive a Trofeo in the snow, with temperatures and surface conditions being WELL below optimal and cruise the highway..its not going to end well.

Blanket statement of "they are dangerous on the street" is false. Sticky tires are very helpful on the street, if they are getting sticky. Its all about conditions.

I have video proof on my instagram that I got caught out on a night run this past winter. Radar showed clear and it began to snow on my way home, I made it home just fine, but I am experienced and cautious when conditions are not optimal.

side note: dont run trofeos, better tires for the $ are available now.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #3
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Trofeos even went bad on new cars sitting on the lot due to dry rot.
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:05 PM   #4
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 513Speed1LE View Post
Hello Camaro5,

I've owned my 2SS 1LE for almost a year. It's been one hell of a fun car, but it's lacking and I think I'm going to trade up into a Z/28. I do have a couple of questions and pardon me if they have been asked before, the search function didn't yield my exact result.

Can you install the auxiliary gauge pods from the SS into the Z/28?
Can you install the mylink radio unit to replace the barebones one the Z/28 comes with? And will I able able to utilize the backup camera function?

The Z/28 I'm looking at has Bridgestone Potenza re-11's. Is that a common tire that people swap to over the Trofeo? The car's only got 3300 miles on it, so I'm wondering why the swap was done early.

Last question, I've heard in a couple of videos that people say the trofeo's are dangerous on the street. Is this true?

Thanks guys.

Troy
I went from a 1SS 1LE to a Z/28.

The Z/28 just feels like a more intense 1LE. You'll start it up and notice that it's a little louder (no sound deadening). It feels more powerful, but not anything you can't handle.

The Z comes with a bare-bones rental car 6 cylinder setup. Not to mention that the speakers suck.

Bridestone Potenza RE-11's are excellent tires. They are class legal for Autocross being treadwear 200, unlike the illegal Trofeo's that Z's come with. The dealer or person that swapped them knew what he was doing. 3300 miles on a soft tire like a Trofeo most likely put it more than halfway through its life cycle.

How much is the car BTW?
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:55 PM   #5
69L48Z27

Drives: 2015 Z/28; 1969 Camaro SS
Trofeos under 50* F just do not grip at all. The tire also flows the road aggressively, pulls the car around. RE-11 is what I went with and it completely changed the street behavior of the car.
69L48Z27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:56 AM   #6
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: '14 Z/28 - AGM - No A/C
RE-11s and the made the car enjoyable for my wife. She actually drove the car, by-her-self. Before that with the Trofeos, the car was "the scariest thing on wheels and we should sell it to save the world" paraphrasing my wife.
I track wrecked Z/28s Total lost -41
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:04 AM   #7
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
I just went from a '15 Z/28 to a 2018 2SS 1LE this week. I had the Z for two years and loved every minute of it. It put a grin on my face EVERY time I drove, no matter how long the drive was. I did the fuse pull for the exhaust and the sound of that LS7 is simply incredible.

I only traded because I wanted something newer and for the tech the 6th gen offers. My Z was a flawless car and I had absolutely zero problems with it. It did have the common 'clunk' noise that you hear during a hard turn. Other than that, the car was perfect in my view for what it was - a no nonsense race car that you could drive on the street.

Z/28 pros are the obvious and what make the Z the Z - the LS7, the CCBs, the DSSVs, and the aero. The Z drives like no other car I've ever owned and I've owned a bunch including a Gen IV Viper and two C7 Vettes (I traded a '15 C7 in on the Z/28). It has mountains of torque and when the Trofeos are warm, they will grip like nothing else. Handling in the Z is amazing and if you can live with the harsh ride the DSSVs bring you will absolutely love the car. In all reality you will most likely NOT see another 5th Gen Z/28 at any car show you go to unless you live in a larger city! They are very rare.

Z/28 cons are few but do exist - the Trofeo tires suck for street use as a rule IMHO. The Re-11 is a good tire but had I kept my Z longer I would have installed the Michelin 4s tires. There are several good alternatives for street tires and a lot of good info on here about tires. Also, if you are into tech or stereo or easy to read and access usable gauges, the 5th gen Z is lacking. But those are also part of the character of the Z. Insurance on the Z is higher than on other cars due to its rating. My 3 year newer 1LE actually has a $55 lower 6 month premium which I found interesting.

Yet - even with those 'cons', driving the Z/28 is a true driver's experience. It is a pleasure to be behind the wheel of that no apologies monster.

The Z/28 is an amazing platform and like all cars has pluses and minuses depending on what you like, want, or need. I'm sure you will love it.

Good luck in your search!
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:33 PM   #8
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
I just went from a '15 Z/28 to a 2018 2SS 1LE this week. I had the Z for two years and loved every minute of it. It put a grin on my face EVERY time I drove, no matter how long the drive was. I did the fuse pull for the exhaust and the sound of that LS7 is simply incredible.

I only traded because I wanted something newer and for the tech the 6th gen offers.
So now that you made the trade - what are the pro's and cons of the 18 SS 1LE and are you happy you switched?

Nice write up!

Sorry to OP for going off topic, but maybe a gen 6 SS should also be considered?
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:45 PM   #9
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
So now that you made the trade - what are the pro's and cons of the 18 SS 1LE and are you happy you switched?

Nice write up!

Sorry to OP for going off topic, but maybe a gen 6 SS should also be considered?
Well, I haven’t been able to get many miles on my 1LE yet because of work but so far I’ve been impressed with some things and not so much with others.

The pros - I like the styling; at first the Gen 6 turned me off but I’ve really fell in love with it, especially the front of the car and the hood. The shifter and clutch are smoother than in my Z. No clunk when turning. The back up camera is handy. The 2SS trim is nice including the cooled/heated seats and the stereo. The tires don’t pick up every piece of grit or gravel. The engine is powerful - but still nothing like the LS7 - but in all fairness it is far from broken in at 200 miles. I like the mag ride and it’s adjustability. I LOVE the gauges and entire controls layout. Interior fit and finish are awesome.

The cons? The interior is definitely smaller! The exhaust is too quiet even with the fuse pull mod I did day 2. The trunk opening is even smaller than the Z. It’s nearly impossible to get anything out of the back seat unless you move the front seat max forward. But for me, the biggest negative is not having that LS7 - that is my favorite NA engine I’ve ever owned. And I’ve owned a ton of them.

I’m still learning about my 1LE and know it’s a great car. But I’ll always love my Z and to be honest, I really miss that raw, no apologies visceral driving feel. Hopefully this new Camaro will grow on me like the Z did.

We’ll see!
Old 08-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #10
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Hope it grows on you - but if not you can always get another Z!
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:50 AM   #11
hjdca

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Black
Quote:
Well, I haven’t been able to get many miles on my 1LE yet because of work but so far I’ve been impressed with some things and not so much with others.

The pros - I like the styling; at first the Gen 6 turned me off but I’ve really fell in love with it, especially the front of the car and the hood. The shifter and clutch are smoother than in my Z. No clunk when turning. The back up camera is handy. The 2SS trim is nice including the cooled/heated seats and the stereo. The tires don’t pick up every piece of grit or gravel. The engine is powerful - but still nothing like the LS7 - but in all fairness it is far from broken in at 200 miles. I like the mag ride and it’s adjustability. I LOVE the gauges and entire controls layout. Interior fit and finish are awesome.

The cons? The interior is definitely smaller! The exhaust is too quiet even with the fuse pull mod I did day 2. The trunk opening is even smaller than the Z. It’s nearly impossible to get anything out of the back seat unless you move the front seat max forward. But for me, the biggest negative is not having that LS7 - that is my favorite NA engine I’ve ever owned. And I’ve owned a ton of them.

I’m still learning about my 1LE and know it’s a great car. But I’ll always love my Z and to be honest, I really miss that raw, no apologies visceral driving feel. Hopefully this new Camaro will grow on me like the Z did.

We’ll see!
yeah, cold start on the LS7 at idle is pretty darn cool....
hjdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:49 PM   #12
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
Hope it grows on you - but if not you can always get another Z!
Exactly!
Old 08-25-2018, 05:01 PM   #13
Raven87
C'mon- really?

I do like the 6th Gen’s interior.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2018, 09:55 AM   #14
Chulai

Drives: '79 Camaro, '99 Vette, etc
Quote:

I only traded because I wanted something newer and for the tech the 6th gen offers. My Z was a flawless car and I had absolutely zero problems with it. It did have the common 'clunk' noise that you hear during a hard turn. Other than that, the car was perfect in my view for what it was - a no nonsense race car that you could drive on the street.

Z/28 pros are the obvious and what make the Z the Z - the LS7, the CCBs, the DSSVs, and the aero. The Z drives like no other car I've ever owned and I've owned a bunch including a Gen IV Viper and two C7 Vettes (I traded a '15 C7 in on the Z/28). It has mountains of torque and when the Trofeos are warm, they will grip like nothing else. Handling in the Z is amazing and if you can live with the harsh ride the DSSVs bring you will absolutely love the car. In all reality you will most likely NOT see another 5th Gen Z/28 at any car show you go to unless you live in a larger city! They are very rare.

Z/28 cons are few but do exist - the Trofeo tires suck for street use as a rule IMHO. The Re-11 is a good tire but had I kept my Z longer I would have installed the Michelin 4s tires. There are several good alternatives for street tires and a lot of good info on here about tires. Also, if you are into tech or stereo or easy to read and access usable gauges, the 5th gen Z is lacking. But those are also part of the character of the Z. Insurance on the Z is higher than on other cars due to its rating. My 3 year newer 1LE actually has a $55 lower 6 month premium which I found interesting.

Yet - even with those 'cons', driving the Z/28 is a true driver's experience. It is a pleasure to be behind the wheel of that no apologies monster.

The Z/28 is an amazing platform and like all cars has pluses and minuses depending on what you like, want, or need. I'm sure you will love it.

Good luck in your search!
I’ve tried explaining to others how awesome this car is but I always feel like I fall a bit short. You did an incredible job of communicating exactly what this car is and what it’s like to drive it. Probably still best understood by fellow owners but a great job nonetheless. Well done!
'15 Z/28 #990
'21 Dodge Charger Scat Pack Widebody
Chulai is offline   Reply With Quote