Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
So did you find the debris? Was it a leaf or paper? Or did you not find anything specific and the noise just went away?
We didn't find anything. The only thing I would tell you to check is the wireing harness that runs from the left side of the box to the back of the filter. It did have a platic tie wrap on it and so I just grabbed the harness and gave it a tug to make sure it wasn't lose.

I think it has more to do with how well the lid is on and more specifically, how well the lid has been snapped into place just under the windshield. Pull it off, clean it and then snap it back under the windshield. It might also be how the lid vibrates against the rest of the plastic cowl piece. If the sound comes back, I'll put some hockey tape between the two parts and see if that stops the vibrating.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:12 PM   #16
Hylton

Check these areas:
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2010, 02:37 PM   #17
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Check these areas:
Wow, this is encouraging. It just might be that wireing harness and/or tie wrap in there...or maybe just the fit of the cover. I have not had a chance to get in there. Will try after I get home later tonight (if I remember). I'll know if that was it because I can reproduce the noise on command and predict exactly what MPH you will start to hear the rattle/flapping vibration. Thanks Hylton and everyone else for your feedback! We're gonna get to the bottom of this yet!
Old 07-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #18
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrock View Post
Wow, this is encouraging. It just might be that wireing harness and/or tie wrap in there...or maybe just the fit of the cover. I have not had a chance to get in there. Will try after I get home later tonight (if I remember). I'll know if that was it because I can reproduce the noise on command and predict exactly what MPH you will start to hear the rattle/flapping vibration. Thanks Hylton for your feedback!
No problem. Please report back because there have been a few reports of this and we want to be sure we have the cause/solution.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:05 PM   #19
jomo45

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Silver Ice
Thanks for all the tips guys! I'll check mine out Sat, after I install a MGW shifter.
jomo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #20
Hylton

More digging is required for me unfortunately. On my way home, I found an empty stretch and the noise came back at a steady 80mph. It is definitely wind related. Mine still sounds like it is coming from the same area or perhaps where the weelhouse meets the firewall.

My next step is to remove the lid completely and repeat the test to try and isolate. I'll report back tomorrow morning.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:55 AM   #21
Edrock

OK, Again, I forgot about this last night (they say that's the 2nd thing to go y'know) but remembered on my way to work this morning. So in the parking lot, I popped the hood and removed the air filter cover as discussed before. There were no FOREIGN objects in there, even after romoving the filter. I did find the wireing harness that Hylton described before but the tie wrap was secure and practically out of sight, however, there was a section of wire harness that had what looked like to be an excessive amount of black electrical tape wound around it near the top of the filter housing and a fairly large piece of it had come loose and was just hanging there. I would say a good inch and a half was dangling. I suspect that could easily make enough noise to travel through the ducts and into the cabin for your listening enjoyment. Unfortunately, I did not have any tape on me so I could not re-secure it but it was still sticky enough that I did give it one more good wrap. I won't know if it made a difference until I go home for lunch in 4 hours so you'll have to check back in to see if this did it. Once I get home, I'm either going to cut that piece off or slap some fresh tape around that section to make sure it does not come loose again.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:08 AM   #22
Hawkeye
I am Iron Man

Drives: LT M6
Will be keeping a close eye to see if that works. I cant help but feel like the sound is coming from inside the driver side of the dash somewhere. I hope thats not the case, because I cant take apart the dash, and I dont really want the dealer to have to either... once you start taking stuff off and putting things back on, you stand a huge chance of getting new vibrations. If I can get rid of this sound and the much more faint A-pillar squeak to go away, this car will be a quite riding machine. Only then will I be happy.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:15 AM   #23
Edrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Will be keeping a close eye to see if that works. I cant help but feel like the sound is coming from inside the driver side of the dash somewhere. I hope thats not the case, because I cant take apart the dash, and I dont really want the dealer to have to either... once you start taking stuff off and putting things back on, you stand a huge chance of getting new vibrations. If I can get rid of this sound and the much more faint A-pillar squeak to go away, this car will be a quite riding machine. Only then will I be happy.
I don't have the A-pillar squeak (thank God!) I hope this is it too because, I too have been cursed with the most sensative hearing when it comes to squeaks and rattles. I agree with you 100% about not wanting the dealer dismantling the dash. Luckily, my Camaro is still tight after 10,000 miles. This issue is the only noise related issue I have and it just started this week. I know that squeaks and rattles are inevitable with time but I want to keep them away as long as possible.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #24
Edrock

Well, I report that the tape in the filter area was not the culprit. Unfortunately, I still don't know what is. I'll keep checking back in here for other suggestions. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:03 PM   #25
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Tap repeatedly along the top edge of the plastic cover where it meets the bottom of the windshield, the entire length of it. Bet a portion of it is not flat with the windshield and squeaks.

ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #26
Edrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
Tap repeatedly along the top edge of the plastic cover where it meets the bottom of the windshield, the entire length of it. Bet a portion of it is not flat with the windshield and squeaks.

Tried that and triple checked to make sure I got the cover seated properly where it would not budge or make any noises. This issue is directly connected to wind force. With enough wind speed, the noise occurs consistantly and has a steady cadence like a playing card in on bicycle spokes. When it starts at a certain speed, it will get faster or slower as you increase speed or slow down. Wonder if it is something underneath the cabin near the rear of the engine or where the downpipes are?? I don't have a lift and my fat head won't fit underneath the car very well. I'll try to shimmy under there this weekend.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #27
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
counds like a playing card in bicyle spoke...

Have you checked to see if anything is making contact with the driveshaft? Also, check the inside of the each wheels/brake area to make sure nothing is trapped there and making contact with the wheel as it spins.

It now sounds to me like something like a piece of paper, tape, or a loose part # tag is making contact with something spinning and it only makes contact when whatever is spinning near it, reaches minimum velocity to create a vacuum effect that sucks whatever it is and cause it to make contact or flap around and makes noise.

If you haven't already, stand in front of the engine and look down in that space between the radiator (passenger side) and pulley, you will see 2 lines. Look at the one closer to the drive belt and make sure the white plastic OEM # tag/tape is not loose. Mine was loose and was flapping and making the "playing card in bicycle spoke" sound when I revved the engine as it got sucked by the spinning drivebelt.

Good luck.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #28
Edrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
counds like a playing card in bicyle spoke...

Have you checked to see if anything is making contact with the driveshaft? Also, check the inside of the each wheels/brake area to make sure nothing is trapped there and making contact with the wheel as it spins.

It now sounds to me like something like a piece of paper, tape, or a loose part # tag is making contact with something spinning and it only makes contact when whatever is spinning near it, reaches minimum velocity to create a vacuum effect that sucks whatever it is and cause it to make contact or flap around and makes noise.

If you haven't already, stand in front of the engine and look down in that space between the radiator (passenger side) and pulley, you will see 2 lines. Look at the one closer to the drive belt and make sure the white plastic OEM # tag/tape is not loose. Mine was loose and was flapping and making the "playing card in bicycle spoke" sound when I revved the engine as it got sucked by the spinning drivebelt.

Good luck.
Thanks for all the suggestions ffcobra but I did all those things and still have the noise even though it is faint now to the point where I can stand it I guess. I don't have a lift so I could not inspect the drive shaft very well. I'll continue looking and maybe one day I'll find it or maybe it will just go away.