Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-28-2020, 05:18 AM   #1
nidhogg

Drives: Camaro 2014 V6 2lt
Dirty Throttle Body

Hello, I think I may have an issue with my car but I’m not sure…
I drive a 2014 v6 Camaro, I bought it brand new, a few days ago I decided to buy a cold air intake, and I was in the process of installing it when I noticed a dirt build up on the throttle body (not sure?). When I looked inside the OEM air filter tube, there was some residue coming out of the tube where PCV tube was connected.
Should I be worried…? Do I need to go to the mechanic to check it out?
Attached Images

nidhogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:17 AM   #2
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Skip the mechanic. Oil residue from crankcase vent tube is normal. It’s thought that the 6 cyl. Models benefit from a catch can. It reduces what gets ingested in the engine. How many miles on the car?
Old 09-28-2020, 06:23 AM   #3
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
As mentioned this is normal for the V6 (or any direct injection engine). Installing a catch can is highly recommended - it's basically a filter that goes in the PCV line (the hose coming out of the top centre of the manifold/plenum) and blocks most oil vapors from passing back into the intake. If and when you install a catch can you may also want to consider cleaning the intake valves as they will be covered in oily crap too; there are DIY's on this forum if you'd like to do it yourself (fairly easy, just need the right tools).
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:38 AM   #4
nidhogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1660 View Post
Skip the mechanic. Oil residue from crankcase vent tube is normal. It’s thought that the 6 cyl. Models benefit from a catch can. It reduces what gets ingested in the engine. How many miles on the car?
41k miles,
thank you for the suggestion, I will look into getting a catch can
Old 09-28-2020, 06:39 AM   #5
nidhogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
As mentioned this is normal for the V6 (or any direct injection engine). Installing a catch can is highly recommended - it's basically a filter that goes in the PCV line (the hose coming out of the top centre of the manifold/plenum) and blocks most oil vapors from passing back into the intake. If and when you install a catch can you may also want to consider cleaning the intake valves as they will be covered in oily crap too; there are DIY's on this forum if you'd like to do it yourself (fairly easy, just need the right tools).
Thank you for the reply! I was freaking out... I will definitely look into installing the catch can and cleaning the valves!
Old 09-28-2020, 09:27 AM   #6
Risingson05

Drives: 2015 zl1 m6
Does it idle rough? It’s a good idea to clean the throttle body but don’t open the throttle plate ,if you do it can mess with the idle and either the computer will have to relearn idle or you’ll have to take it into dealer to program . I’ve always took it off and cleaned out the carbon with a-tips and throttle body cleaner .
Risingson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:53 PM   #7
nidhogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson05 View Post
Does it idle rough? It’s a good idea to clean the throttle body but don’t open the throttle plate ,if you do it can mess with the idle and either the computer will have to relearn idle or you’ll have to take it into dealer to program . I’ve always took it off and cleaned out the carbon with a-tips and throttle body cleaner .
Idle seems normal, haven't noticed anything out of the average
Old 10-03-2020, 01:24 PM   #8
supersnake05

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2014 Chevy SS
I work on Toyotas and they will run fine until the battery is replaced then all hell breaks loose. Every car I buy (used) the first thing I do is a throttle body clean. On our cars takes less than a minute to do.
supersnake05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:22 AM   #9
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Perfectly normal. Even non D.I. can get that way after so many miles. Just spray some throttle body cleaner in there to clean it up.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote