Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-22-2018, 09:01 AM   #1
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
I got caught in the rain yesterday

The OEM tires are just terrible in standing water. It was borderline unsafe to be honest. I wasn't even driving fast or anything. I probably have 40% tread left on the OEM tires and will eventually move to Michelin PSS 4S but will it mess up the handling? I don't want to change to the Michelins at the expense of steering response and ultimate grip. I mostly drive on the street aggressively. Anyone have good feedback on those tires? Side note, as the OEM tires wear down I have started to experience wheel hop on hard acceleration. Do these cars have different length axles to counter this like my previous CTS-V V2 had? I never had wheel hop with that car.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:03 AM   #2
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
The Supercar 3's aren't meant for standing water, they're "extreme summer" tires. Damp road is about all they're designed for in terms of hydrodynamics.

I DD summer on Michelin PS4S. They give up some ultimate grip in warm dry but actually work when it rains. No significant change in steering feel; they're excellent tires.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:11 AM   #3
stkshft

Drives: anything with wheels
Wow that does sound scary! I have managed to keep mine out of the rain since I bought it last year. The only water it has seen has been from my spray hose while I am washing it
stkshft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:34 AM   #4
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Only been in the rain once but it was light. Didn’t notice a problem but I did put it in snow/ice or whatever it is and babied it home. I don’t ever want to drive it in the rain tho.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:43 AM   #5
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Standing water with 325, 305 or 285 width tires are a no no now matter what brand. Anything over 45 and you will hydroplane.. The bridgestone RE11s have the deepest tread I've seen and have given me some great confidence when i get stuck in it though..

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:07 AM   #6
JSAVILLE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Vert. A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
Standing water with 325, 305 or 285 width tires are a no no now matter what brand. Anything over 45 and you will hydroplane.. The bridgestone RE11s have the deepest tread I've seen and have given me some great confidence when i get stuck in it though..
I agree with you. Standing water is trouble. I got caught in a down pour and I had to pull off the road. It felt out of control while driving...i will look into the Bridgestone tires for the future
JSAVILLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #7
rmh3
Semper Fi!

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I am putting on the Nitto 555 G2's on mine in prep for the upcoming winter/rain in CA (though we don't get much of a real winter or rain).
I'll report back later on when I get them installed and have some wet/rain to compare.
rmh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #8
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
What about in the rain.. (not puddles) how does the car handle? Thinking of buying one to daily drive. My V2 was fine in the rain
Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:04 PM   #9
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans damm View Post
What about in the rain.. (not puddles) how does the car handle? Thinking of buying one to daily drive. My V2 was fine in the rain

I drive mine daily including in the rain and I did so with my 5th gen as well. I have the 245/40 all season Goodyear F1 all the way around. I don't think I'd want to drive anything wider than that in the rain. Even with those you need to slow down and I replace them at 5/32 tread wear instead of 3/32.

The vehicle you have doesn't really matter. It's all about the tires. Once you are going faster than the tires can displace the water, you hydroplane. This is true regardless of whether you're driving a Prius or a tractor-trailer.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:12 PM   #10
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
I would have to disagree. My non Z 1LE came with the S3's. Absolutely treacherous, from day 1, in the S. Florida deluges we get. I could not do the speed limit on the highway. When they wore out, I replaced them with PS4S's. Excellent tire. Great street handling (I don't track), and excellent in the rain at posted speed limits, considering the width.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #11
collinms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans damm View Post
If you drive normal with the stock tires in the rain it's fine. If you see a puddle you are F'ed.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #12
collinms

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx9rmal View Post
I would have to disagree. My non Z 1LE came with the S3's. Absolutely treacherous, from day 1, in the S. Florida deluges we get. I could not do the speed limit on the highway. When they wore out, I replaced them with PS4S's. Excellent tire. Great street handling (I don't track), and excellent in the rain at posted speed limits, considering the width.
This is really good to hear. I think I will get the PS4S after I burn these up.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:35 PM   #13
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinms View Post
This is really good to hear. I think I will get the PS4S after I burn these up.
I have no experience with PS4S's on the track, but I think they're excellent on the street. I hit the corners pretty hard, evidenced by wearing out the S3's at 9,800 miles, fronts worse than rears. I didn't care about the tread life because the S3's are fabulous, but they are, in my opinion, dangerous in the rain. Of course, just drive real slow and you're OK, but I'd rather minimize risk.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #14
jjgi5150

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by stkshft View Post
Wow that does sound scary! I have managed to keep mine out of the rain since I bought it last year. The only water it has seen has been from my spray hose while I am washing it
Hi....

That was my plan, as l did with my 15 Z/28. Never saw rain or slushy roads to get the undercarriage all rain-ugly.

But...sadly last week l got caught in a freak SoCal summer rain on the way home from a trip out of town. Rained so hard the wipers needed full fast to see! But at least it was only for a few miles, then clear as could be skies.

Got it all cleaned up the next day with my pressure washer. The main intent with my post is to fully support others comments on how slippery this car is in the wet. At slower speeds on the freeway in the rain, even with water cuts in the concrete, the rear end wanted to step out several times, and the whole car did a very scary hydroplane once. l had even put it in snow/ice mode. Just slick G/Y's, a lot of torque and crappy CA freeways.

I'll never even chance that possibility again. l hate rain...it's why l choose to luve in a desert!

JJ
2023 Hyundai SF Calligraphy
jjgi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote