Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-26-2009, 10:38 PM   #57
mrgoombatts

Drives: jeep srt8
Picked up my camaro the other day and im so pissed..... First I went to the dealer to do all the paper work and the car did not have the front plate mounted yet so I was like sweet. I come back the nexd day and the dealer tell the guy put these plates on this car for me. He has a drill in his hand soo I was like no way i dont want holes in my bumper. The delaler tells me new york state law requires the dealer to install the bracket that is given by gm or he cant let me leave the lot with my car. so pissed off today I think thats abount of bs. I did not mind having a front plate on just not fvkoinngdf drilled into my damn bumber..
mrgoombatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #58
Camaro21

Drives: SOLD - 2013 M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer4 View Post
Has anyone tried the Swift motor sports hideaway motorized mount or even the manual hideaway mount yet?
I bought it and installed it. It was simple to install and worked very well until I pulled too far up to a curb and it broke. (I had it stowed at the time). It still holds the plate but no longer works as far as using the remote to make it go up and back down.
Camaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #59
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
okay I have found a altec remote electric plate on the internet and i have checked it out in person at an installer shop. The Plate is mounted under the car the bracket is drilled into the car from under. You push a button on your keychain and the little electric motor pushes the polate down a short rail and when it gets far enough out it pops up. Retracts same way. Real James Bond stuff here. I dont know how well the motor will hold up in cold weather here in chicago, so I havent shelled out the 150.00 for it yet. But check it out if you want on the net
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #60
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyleCoyote View Post
I installed the Swift manual mount on my Camaro. And so far it works fine. There are also other threads on the forum for other types or mounts.
Same mount in the same place on my Transformer
wrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #61
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricat View Post
For what it's worth - I installed my front plate this afternoon (NY). The bottom of the plate bracket fits in the lower grillwork 2nd tier, I drilled and extra hole on the outboard side of each top rivet hole and threaded wire ties around the upright grill stanchion behind the rivet hole and tightened them up. Plate bracket mounted NO drilling.
Optional: cut a short piece of vacuum hose and put a slit so it goes around the top of the plate bracket to protect your paint.

Note the Plate Bracket mounts LOWER and shows more front facia.

Joe
This is pretty much exactly how I did mine, except I used clear vinyl tubing over the zip ties behind the mounting bracket protect the grill. See my post with pics in the DIY section of the forum. I like how the plate sits a little lower than with the standard dealer-drilled location. Looks meaner...

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #62
Macatc123

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS (on order)
ICK!! Why would you install the front licence plate???? I know the law requires it but come on. just wait till you get the fix-it ticket, then take it off again after inspection.
Macatc123 is offline   Reply With Quote