Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-29-2014, 05:54 PM   #15
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
My worry would be that you use full synthetic and after reading some posts with people having failing engine parts using full synthetic (most likely due to the lack of a couple of crucial mineral elements not in synthetic oil), you might want to reexamine if you should use a semi synthetic. I know that everyone thinks hey its the bomb...... But what sounds too good to be true often is. If you have a blown head gasket you would see milk shake type oil that has mixed with the water in the pan only if the gasket blew between the water jackets and somewhere it could contaminate the oil. Good luck to you. I remember lots of crucial things about elements missing in things required like .........never buy a 307 motor they were cast with low nickel and thus the blocks bores wore out very quick....... Making them worse than say a 305 with a nylon timing gear......... You live you learn.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #16
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
My worry would be that you use full synthetic and after reading some posts with people having failing engine parts using full synthetic (most likely due to the lack of a couple of crucial mineral elements not in synthetic oil), you might want to reexamine if you should use a semi synthetic. I know that everyone thinks hey its the bomb...... But what sounds too good to be true often is. If you have a blown head gasket you would see milk shake type oil that has mixed with the water in the pan only if the gasket blew between the water jackets and somewhere it could contaminate the oil. Good luck to you. I remember lots of crucial things about elements missing in things required like .........never buy a 307 motor they were cast with low nickel and thus the blocks bores wore out very quick....... Making them worse than say a 305 with a nylon timing gear......... You live you learn.
I think what you're thinking of is the lack of Zinc in certain oils. The zinc protects cam lobes in high lift cam applications once the oil has broken down past a certain point. This isn't really as much of an issue for a stock motor since the cam lobes are not under as much pressure. High lift cams will compress valve springs more which are probably higher spring rates in the first place which puts more pressure on the lobe. If the the oil is broken down it's point of protection as a film, then the zinc helps prevent catastrophic wear after that.

The lack of zinc is really a environmental thing when it comes to a synthetic vs conventional oil. Conventional oils won't necessarily contain the zinc content either.
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #17
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
I would say you lost a head gasket. The smoke was from coolant getting into the cylinders. You could end up hydro-locking the motor and breaking a piston. Problem is you continued to drive the car and not stop right away.

Yes their fault for belts coming off, but GM and them could blame you for continuing to drive the car after the belt came off and blowing the motor. All they have to do is check the computer and see when warning lights came on and it will have mileage and see that you kept the motor running and driving.

Hope it works out for you but it may not be good.
he had 39k miles on his car, and I'm assuming the belts. he's not going to be able to claim defect. he said they were squealing and knew they needed replaced. he drove at his own risk. there is no way on gods green earth GM is going to accept any liability for this.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #18
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
he had 39k miles on his car, and I'm assuming the belts. he's not going to be able to claim defect. he said they were squealing and knew they needed replaced. he drove at his own risk. there is no way on gods green earth GM is going to accept any liability for this.

His belts were squeaking. He paid the dealership to replace the belts.
He drove the car out of the dealership and all this began happening.

Did I read his story wrong?
Old 01-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #19
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
he took is car before the belts broke. The shop did replace correctly and the came off. It going to depend on how far he drove it after the warnings came on. If it was right after the warning he should have no problem with getting it no matter what the damage is. Now if he drove it for a couple miles or so he might have a problem with getting it fix.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:08 AM   #20
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam62 View Post
His belts were squeaking. He paid the dealership to replace the belts.
He drove the car out of the dealership and all this began happening.

Did I read his story wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyroger View Post
he took is car before the belts broke. The shop did replace correctly and the came off. It going to depend on how far he drove it after the warnings came on. If it was right after the warning he should have no problem with getting it no matter what the damage is. Now if he drove it for a couple miles or so he might have a problem with getting it fix.

yea, I misread that. was thinking it broke while he was on his way tot he dealer. sounds like he has a good case against them.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:25 AM   #21
camoman

Drives: 2010 1SS IBM L99
Hay guys what about evans waterless coolant, is this stuff safe to use in ls3 and l99 ?
camoman is offline   Reply With Quote