Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I think my car hates me...

I put new rotos and new pads in and it continues to squeal when the rotors warm up. What the hell do I need to do?!?!

I went the the duralast rotors and cmax pads and these are supposed to be their best pads. I haven't even had to brake hard yet so I don't know why it's already squealing!
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #2
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
I'd try to bed the pads and rotors first before condemning them. Whenever my brakes starts to squeak, I go out and give them a couple of real hard stops and get them hot. Clears it right up for me.

I brake 5 times at about 75-80%. 3 times from 60-20 and 2 times from 75 or 80 to 20. The brakes will get hot, but not to hot. Do not come to a complete stop between stops. After all stops are complete, drive around until the brakes are cooled down.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
I'd try to bed the pads and rotors first before condemning them. Whenever my brakes starts to squeak, I go out and give them a couple of real hard stops and get them hot. Clears it right up for me.

I brake 5 times at about 75-80%. 3 times from 60-20 and 2 times from 75 or 80 to 20. The brakes will get hot, but not to hot. Do not come to a complete stop between stops. After all stops are complete, drive around until the brakes are cooled down.
Completely agree with this. I've got 18k miles on my ss. I "bed" the brakes upon taking delivery 2 years ago. The brakes started squeaking at about 10k miles. I bed the brakes again - squeak gone
Old 02-01-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
Dfault

I'll give that a shot, I have been pretty easy on the brakes since I installed them yesterday.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfault View Post
I'll give that a shot, I have been pretty easy on the brakes since I installed them yesterday.
Keep us posted
Old 02-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
Dfault

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam62 View Post
Keep us posted

So it started to squeal again..and at this point in time of the day I was already frustrated because I just haven't been mentally aware today. So, in my frustration I went to one of the low populated roads and just ripped it and I mean, slamming gears just not giving a damn and then I pressed down on the brakes damn hard, felt the ABS once and eased up on it and then road for a few minutes nice and slow...and what do you know, they stop squealing. I'm starting to think I'm going to be buying upgraded brakes in the future. Not sure which brand I'm going to be going with, but anything is better than these POS Brembos they slapped on to the 2010 Camaros.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
Shift_Rejected
2010 2SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS (L99)
I've been having this same problem.

1st I bought a set of semi-mettalics
-Squeeked every stop and drove me nuts

Then, I replaced all 4 pads with pro grade ceramic.
-Squeeked less but still bad when heated up

Then, I pulled all the brake pads off and lubed the heck out of all parts and back of pads
-Now it's squeeking less but still will start up again when hot.

I've tried to bed my pads during normal driving but there's only so much you can do on regular street roads. My next step is to find a dead end road and really bed them.

Hopefully that works, it's been an interesting few weekends getting to know the ins and outs of the brembo calipers.
Shift_Rejected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
Sickness91Z28
Reaper Crew

Drives: Blown 2010 Camaro SS
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=85

2010 Camaro SS
SLP TVS2300 Blower, Blower Cam, Lingenfelter Heads, Meth Injected, 5lbs of Boost@700 BHP
Pedders XA Coilovers
Sickness91Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #9
Fast6.3

Drives: 2016 2SS coupe 2015 3LT Stingray
All hp pads sre going to squeal i think a couple of hard brake and they clean up and stop squealing brembos are actually top of the line cant get much better than that
Old 02-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
It's all in how you break in the pads. Without proper break in, just about any pads will squeal. SSMickey gave you some really good advise. Follow that procedure and your squealing should be no more.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote