Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #1
Mike J

Drives: 2015 Topless Btch RS
K&N Air Filter

Designed to boost horsepower and acceleration. Don't know about that. I liked the fact that it is reusable along with the cabin filter. What is the general opinion. Will be switching out for a cold air inductions intake when warranty is up.
Attached Images

Mike J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Personal I would (and did) just get the cold air intake you want and then if you have to bring the car to the dealer just swap out intakes - takes 30 minutes easy, 15 if you've done it a few times and have the tools at the ready.
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #3
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
I bought one of these when I purchased my car back in August. I used it for 1 month before getting a cold air intake. If you are insistent on keeping everything stock, then yes, this would be the way to go. It improved performance slightly. It doesn't compare to a cold air intake though. Like all K&N's its reusable after cleaning it with their cleaning kits. Over the long haul it will save you money, but for me it was just a bridge until I could get a real intake. I'd sell you mine for less than the $62 price tag if you were interested. Only a month of "wear" on it.

EDIT: I just noticed that you're from Montreal, so it would probably be best that you buy one of these locally if thats what you decide to do. I must admit that like Killboy, I thought that I too might want to switch my intakes back and forth when taking it into the dealer, but Ive abandoned that notion completely. I bought the car to enjoy it. I don't care what Chevy thinks.

Last edited by Jazzzed; 01-14-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Jazzzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Yeah, but what happens if there's a major powertrain warranty issue which causes you to have to take it in? Chevy could argue that the CAI is not an official GM warrantied product so you're SOL with the repair. Sure, highly unlikely something like that would go wrong on our LFX's. However, there's always that one in a thousand chance and I'd rather not risk it. With a CAI, it's not that hard to switch back to stock if you got bring it in.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:18 PM   #5
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
Oldie, but still good:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...er+flow+rating
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:43 PM   #6
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Yeah, but what happens if there's a major powertrain warranty issue which causes you to have to take it in? Chevy could argue that the CAI is not an official GM warrantied product so you're SOL with the repair. Sure, highly unlikely something like that would go wrong on our LFX's. However, there's always that one in a thousand chance and I'd rather not risk it. With a CAI, it's not that hard to switch back to stock if you got bring it in.
The problem is that getting GM to actually cover something with the warranty is nearly impossible. It would have to be a major engine or trans failure, and even then, who knows. There are plenty of horror stories out there. If that did happen I'd switch it back to stock, but I'm not going to do it every time I need basic maintenance. Thats silly. I have a catch can too. so should I uninstall that every time as well? What about the intake spacer I will purchase this spring? There is a point where you have to realize that you either mod or don't mod. You cant really do both.
Jazzzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:59 PM   #7
djcfuzz
Do somethin fun every day

Drives: 2012 45th V6 RS M6
My opinion is just go for the Cold Air Inductions cold air. You won't be sorry.
djcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote