Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-24-2009, 11:56 PM   #1
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Question about interior lights dimming

If you turn the car on, and turn on the dome light, and then depress the brake does your light dim? Never had a car do that before esp a brand new one and Im wondering if this is normal
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:33 AM   #2
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
lol my car does this.....never gotten around to bring it back though...will do next year
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:24 AM   #3
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Drain from battery for tail lights.

Start car and depress brake. Will not dim.

Normal.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
mrgoombatts

Drives: jeep srt8
yes my Car does this also when I hit the brake and the dome light is on , hazards, flashing my brights, and maybe one other thing. Is this normal or should I bring it back to the dealer.. banshee I dont really understand your comment. how do you depress your brakes.
mrgoombatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoombatts View Post
yes my Car does this also when I hit the brake and the dome light is on , hazards, flashing my brights, and maybe one other thing. Is this normal or should I bring it back to the dealer.. banshee I dont really understand your comment. how do you depress your brakes.
I dunno. Do they have a brain the size of a planet?
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:42 AM   #6
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Drain from battery for tail lights.

Start car and depress brake. Will not dim.

Normal.
Quote:
Your battery has a static output with no charge of say 12 volts...right? If your car is not running, you have a finite voltage. If the car is running, you also have a finite voltage, but increased.

The dimming is caused from load, battery charge and output to all other accessories on in the car. If you had enough power, the lights would not dim. The issue will be more noticeable with A/C, blower, stereo on. If all other accessories are off, you will not notice this as much, or at all. As well, especially at start up or when cold outside.

Ever notice your lights dim in the house when you turn on your vacuum cleaner?

Same principle.

Maybe you have a voltage regulator issue...Take it to the dealer. My T/A did that all the time, as long as the voltmeter reads 14-16v on the gauge, I don't fret about it.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Old 10-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Your battery has a static output with no charge of say 12 volts...right? If your car is not running, you have a finite voltage. If the car is running, you also have a finite voltage, but increased.

The dimming is caused from load, battery charge and output to all other accessories on in the car. If you had enough power, the lights would not dim. The issue will be more noticeable with A/C, blower, stereo on. If all other accessories are off, you will not notice this as much, or at all. As well, especially at start up or when cold outside.

Ever notice your lights dim in the house when you turn on your vacuum cleaner?

Same principle.

Maybe you have a voltage regulator issue...Take it to the dealer. My T/A did that all the time, as long as the voltmeter reads 14-16v on the gauge, I don't fret about it.
It's also possible that the remote located battery in the trunk is introducing a bit more resistance in the battery circuit which will be more obvious under the higher load of applying the brakes.

Also, are the brakes vacuum assisted in the Camaro or are they assisted by an electric motor such as in other GM vehicles with Stabilitrak? The electric assist will be an added load and increase the effect of the draw on the battery.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Transformer
Quote:
how do you depress your brakes.
I tell them how ugly they are and that they aren't very smart and will never amount to anything. They usually run off crying.
wrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
kelleyperformance

Drives: DD- 15' Chevy SS Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
It's also possible that the remote located battery in the trunk is introducing a bit more resistance in the battery circuit which will be more obvious under the higher load of applying the brakes.

Also, are the brakes vacuum assisted in the Camaro or are they assisted by an electric motor such as in other GM vehicles with Stabilitrak? The electric assist will be an added load and increase the effect of the draw on the battery.
there are several things that contribute to the tailights making the dome lights dim. the brakes are vaccum assited, and the stabilitrac uses the EBTCM, but is only applied (drawing any noticable current) during ABS functions or traction/stability functions. its simply just the draw, like said above, from the added relays and lights being on with the car off (not charging, alternator not generating). all the camaros ive ever driven do dim, theres nothing wrong dont worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrek View Post
I tell them how ugly they are and that they aren't very smart and will never amount to anything. They usually run off crying.
and lmao at that ^^^^
Old 10-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #10
ChriSS84
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrek View Post
LOL That's awesome....
ChriSS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #11
Mayhem Matt

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS M6 SUPERCHRGED BUMBLEBEE
mine does it too not that big of a deal but I will ask when I take it in for my next oil change!
Ordered Bumblebee 10/15/2008Part of the Family 6/11/2009 #11423

My Bumblebee to Superbee build story...http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105163
Superbee's 536hp Dyno Run...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE7wePluPAc
Mayhem Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #12
fireresq157

Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
Mine does it too. One thing I noticed about the battery it's smaller than the normal car battery almost half size . Thins was probably done to save weight and space. Anyhow this could be the cause because there's is less to pull power from. Anyhow doesn't bother me, could be an issue with someone installing aftermarket pulleys.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:24 PM   #13
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

It all leads back to the battery, load or charge...
Old 10-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #14
mrgoombatts

Drives: jeep srt8
I dunno people this sounds a lilttle stupid to me ive never seen a car do this before. It just doesnt seem right it sounds like something is not properly grounded to me or something is shorting. I dunno just a lil weird to me, abs stabilitrak and everything else my dome light should not dim I understand the battery is being drained from all these things but it still shouldnt make my lights bug out lol.
mrgoombatts is offline   Reply With Quote