Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-24-2019, 02:54 AM   #71
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
heres how I dealt with the dim HID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden69 View Post
Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 hands down is the best out right now. I did their 4TL-R because it was a 2.5 and didn't want to hack on the shrouds at this time. The output is very good, but the D2S have a much brighter and wider hot spot. You will need a D1S > D2S igniter and D2S bulbs
morimoto drls is how I dealt with the problem for now and with the jumper harness so the drls are on all the time. I like how the lens is dark. it looks smoked during the day. And boy are they bright! And it casts a very wide beam. Plus no oncoming traffic flashes their high beams.
Attached Images

TVS2300, BTR cam PD stage 3, ID1050 injectors, CHE bronze trunnions, 7.400" pushrods,.660" lift platinum springs, Titanium ret, Zl1 fuel pump, Kooks LT headers, High flow cats, Roto Fab CAI, Corsa exh., Mellings oil pump, HD chain, ls2 damper, all synthetic, BMR control arms, zl1 toe link, BMR cradle mounts, W/bottle relocation, air scoop deflector, Hennessy wheels, two piece rotor, morimoto fogs, DRL harness, coilovers, Heads up install, mgw shifter, slps splitter, slp spoiler, zl1 side skirts, painted strips, debadged, tinted, 2018 emblems.

Edit Signature
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:57 AM   #72
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionssfan View Post
morimoto drls is how I dealt with the problem for now and with the jumper harness so the drls are on all the time. I like how the lens is dark. it looks smoked during the day. And boy are they bright! And it casts a very wide beam. Plus no oncoming traffic flashes their high beams.
Can you clarify exactly what you installed? You say Morimoto DRLs (but DRLs are the fog lights on SS cars with HIDs). Did you install the Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 or their 4TL-R ?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:23 PM   #73
lionssfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Can you clarify exactly what you installed? You say Morimoto DRLs (but DRLs are the fog lights on SS cars with HIDs). Did you install the Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 or their 4TL-R ?

here's what I have (see link below) these took place of the old factory drls. by installing a jumper harness (several suppliers on here sell them)they keep the drls on all the time. so they become if you may drls during the day and fogs at night. Their on all the time there is no control switch. I found these on ebay, but I bought mine from https://www.theretrofitsource.com

https://www.ebay.com/i/172237856863?chn=ps
TVS2300, BTR cam PD stage 3, ID1050 injectors, CHE bronze trunnions, 7.400" pushrods,.660" lift platinum springs, Titanium ret, Zl1 fuel pump, Kooks LT headers, High flow cats, Roto Fab CAI, Corsa exh., Mellings oil pump, HD chain, ls2 damper, all synthetic, BMR control arms, zl1 toe link, BMR cradle mounts, W/bottle relocation, air scoop deflector, Hennessy wheels, two piece rotor, morimoto fogs, DRL harness, coilovers, Heads up install, mgw shifter, slps splitter, slp spoiler, zl1 side skirts, painted strips, debadged, tinted, 2018 emblems.

Edit Signature
Old 01-25-2019, 08:00 PM   #74
lionssfan

morimoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Thanks for clarifying and for the link info! If they truly cast a beam compared to just replacing the dingy stock yellow DRL bulb with a white LED for looks only I’d be very interested in replacing my DRL LEDs with the Morimoto unit too.

I looked up the part Morimoto says they replace (GM2590104) and saw that part is the fog log assembly for a non-RS , w/ Halogen Headlamps. For RS equiped cars with HID headlamps the fog/DRL assembly is GM2592297N. Maybe it doesn’t make a difference as they are LEDs and run cooler than the eom bulbs. How long have you had them?
Im not sure on the part number. I'd have to look up my paper work if I could find it.

Yes their a white light and bright for sure. guys at work ask me about them because they stand out so much and there bright.

The clips that hold it in the bumper I had to get from a junk yard, because the ones I ordered online were cheap and loose in place. I needed the robust oem ones that lot of the older chevy trucks had with fogs. I have some videos of walk arounds and driving the car inside and outside with the car coming at you. they give a good idea what to expect. One other thing, I had to send one lamp back when I first bought them, because it wasn't as bright as the other side, just by alittle tho. they had no problems sending me a new one and told me to keep the old one. I've had mine two years now with no problems. I have a bunch of installation pics during the complete install if you need them. I was going to do a DIY install guide, but their didn't seem to be a real interest. I installed push pins to hold the clip ears out, because they are on the heavy side compared to what came out, and have held up for two years now. contact me for the video and pics if you need them.
Attached Images

Edit Signature
Old 01-26-2019, 03:45 AM   #75
camguynj

Thanks for the follow up info and offer. Glad to hear you’ve had them for two yrs with no problems. I assumed they were a direct fit replacement. I’d be willing to do a little fabrication to install them so if you could send pics,etc via a PM or to my email that would be great and much appreciated! Thanks again. swishercg@yahoo.com
Old 01-27-2019, 06:29 AM   #76
camguynj

Hey lionssfan, Thanks VERY much for the pics & vid! Man those DRLs are bright and really cast a nice wide beam that you want from a fog light. Doesn’t seem too much work to install. Never knew they existed before this post. You may want to reconsider making a separate DIY in the lighting section as I would think a lot of guys would also be interested.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:40 PM   #77
lionssfan

Your welcome, glad to help out. I originally planned on doing a DIY, but nobody contacted me with interest on installing them. Might be my fault for not getting them out there. If morimoto was smart they should provide a complete install kit.

Edit Signature
Old 01-27-2019, 01:31 PM   #78
lionssfan

Here's two videos on morimoto fogs/drls I have
https://youtu.be/8KLtgeEasdE

https://youtu.be/_TAjsymohlI

Edit Signature
Old 02-25-2019, 10:39 PM   #79
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
So nobody makes a drop in replacement for the RS HID's with halo?
Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Polished PAC .660's & Ti-retainers
TSP VVT 3.2 cam kit w/DoD Delete
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
AEM X-Series OBDII Widebands
FIC ID1300x Injectors
GM ZL1 High Output Fuel Pump
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
DSX Auxiliary Fuel System
Tim King Stage 4 Max Effort CTSV 6L90
DSS 1 piece aluminum driveshaft
JRE 6L80E / 6L90E Dipstick
NGK Iridium IX spark plugs #7 heat range
Mighty Mouse Camaro 5 Wild w/-12an and Billet Black
HP Tuners VCM Suite
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:44 PM   #80
sunshine1531

Drives: Cyber Gray 2LT RS
Mine are dim too unfortunately, now I'm trying to find a fix
sunshine1531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:35 PM   #81
lionssfan

i haven't found a a solution, other then buying new ones unfortunately. the band aid or solution for me has been the morimoto drl/fog lamps

Edit Signature
Old 05-02-2019, 12:34 AM   #82
ZWA SS
BowtieBelle's SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Looks like new headlights are added to the list. Sigh. Hopefully they’ll have good life as I’ve noticed mine have been rather dim for far too long. I drive with my brights on now without ever getting flashed.
ZWA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #83
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I'm tempted to buy a new set, but it'll still be the same chromed plastic bullshit.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:00 PM   #84
ZWA SS
BowtieBelle's SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
I'm tempted to buy a new set, but it'll still be the same chromed plastic bullshit.
That’s my fear as well. I do not want to spend $800 every 6-7 years for a shitty design.
ZWA SS is offline   Reply With Quote