Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-20-2018, 08:04 PM   #5265
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
Yeah just like they did with DI and coking lol
I’ll let you know if I get to drive a German car with stop/start and see if it thuds at every red light. I can’t wait to get a spare $4k to rip all the DOD garbage off my L99 that will inevitably fail and possibly cause catastrophic engine failure. Talk to JerTM about all the DOD issues.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #5266
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
I’ll let you know if I get to drive a German car with stop/start and see if it thuds at every red light. I can’t wait to get a spare $4k to rip all the DOD garbage off my L99 that will inevitably fail and possibly cause catastrophic engine failure. Talk to JerTM about all the DOD issues.
I think most auto journalists who’ve driven multiple cars with stop/start would tell you that the worst application ever put in commerce was the BMW 5-Series, followed closely by the BMW 3-Series. They’ve improved it over the years and added the turn-off button, but the original applications were horrible.

I’m not an automotive journalist (but I play one on television ), but I have had the opportunity to drive many, many applications because of my job at the time. In my opinion, the Chevrolet Malibu is still the best stop/start application on the road.

I can also say that the Mercedes cylinder deactivation examples that I have driven are not as good as either GM or FCA. I have not driven any of the VW group applications (Audi 4.0TT or VW 1.4T) so I cannot offer an opinion on whether that is better or worse than GM, FCA, or Honda.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 05-20-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #5267
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Maybe the 5 series I drove didn’t have it, but it certainly was far nicer than any GM I drove, including a couple Cadillacs.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:19 PM   #5268
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
It's pretty well documented that the GM start/stop system is among the best in the industry. It's not un-noticeable, but for the vast majority of people it's seamless enough to not be an issue.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:21 PM   #5269
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Maybe the 5 series I drove didn’t have it, but it certainly was far nicer than any GM I drove, including a couple Cadillacs.
If it had it, you would have known. Either because it was so noticeable every time it turned off (the first year) or because the "turn-off" button was placed where you couldn't miss it from the second year on. They positioned the button so that the driver could start the car and then turn off stop/start almost simultaneously. That's how loud their customers screamed about it.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:13 AM   #5270
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

I’m not a fan of start/stop on any car. Same with DOD. More stuff to break for minimal gains.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:55 AM   #5271
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
First time I experienced start stop was in Germany in a rental Audi a manual. It was very noticeable lol..fast forward rental Malibu in new Orleans and it was slightly noticeable..big improvement. Its not horrible..
Old 05-21-2018, 08:44 AM   #5272
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
On my Buick Encore I never notice when it shuts down except for the fact the AC blower goes to it’s lowest speed. There is a slight vibration when it restarts but it does not seem bad. Also I can restart it manually while stopped by slightly lifting my foot off the brake pedal, it does not take much, the car never moves. I have gotten used to it and ignore it for the most part.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:58 AM   #5273
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Start/stop is fine unless the person driving it knows it is there. My Friends Malibu had start stop tech in it. He had no idea that it was a thing until I rode in the car with him 6 months after he bought it. The whole time he's complaining about chevys and how crappy they are because they studder when he leaves a stoplight. After explaining it to him he understands now. Up till then he was determined never to buy a chevy again.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:36 AM   #5274

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I always understood the hardest thing on an engine is starting it...Parts moving with no oil pressure. I can't get my head around this start/stop "technology". It has not been around that long...Is there any concern about premature or wear and tear from it?...I would think it would lower the overall longevity of any engine that has it.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:27 AM   #5275
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I always understood the hardest thing on an engine is starting it...Parts moving with no oil pressure. I can't get my head around this start/stop "technology". It has not been around that long...Is there any concern about premature or wear and tear from it?...I would think it would lower the overall longevity of any engine that has it.
Cold starts are hard on an engine. All the oil has drained to the pan, the oil is thicker because its cold, and parts don't fit quite right.

But warm starts do almost nothing and the wear caused by restarting the engine is offset by the wear caused by not running the engine for a few seconds. And if you're sitting for 30 seconds or more, you're causing less wear by turning it off & restarting it than by just leaving it running.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #5276
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Cold starts are hard on an engine. All the oil has drained to the pan, the oil is thicker because its cold, and parts don't fit quite right.

But warm starts do almost nothing and the wear caused by restarting the engine is offset by the wear caused by not running the engine for a few seconds. And if you're sitting for 30 seconds or more, you're causing less wear by turning it off & restarting it than by just leaving it running.
When I was researching if it could be deactivated on my dad’s new Envision, it said it wouldn’t shut off if the A/C was on. Thinking I found a trick to bypass it since they decided to not allow owners to actually decide how their vehicle should work after paying for it and all, I tried it. Nope. Even with the A/C on it still shut off. Thud. Then the vibration starting up to the next light.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #5277
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
I have a 17 Malibu, 1.5L with start stop and I do not like it. The starter noise drives me nuts, and the little thud when it starts again. I had a 2007 Saturn Vue with different version of start stop and it was much better. I loved the Vue, but the battery replacement was going to kill me. I changed the batteries twice while it was still under warranty so I decided to sell the car before It was on my dime.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #5278

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

That makes sense...but still, the starter itself has to work, what 1000% more often?....10,000% more often? Are starters nowadays that much more heavy duty?....The technology was hard enough to keep a car running...now they can't wait to shut it off and re-start it...lol...

Quote:
When I was researching if it could be deactivated on my dad’s new Envision, it said it wouldn’t shut off if the A/C was on. Thinking I found a trick to bypass it since they decided to not allow owners to actually decide how their vehicle should work after paying for it and all, I tried it. Nope. Even with the A/C on it still shut off. Thud. Then the vibration starting up to the next light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
I have a 17 Malibu, 1.5L with start stop and I do not like it. The starter noise drives me nuts, and the little thud when it starts again. I had a 2007 Saturn Vue with different version of start stop and it was much better. I loved the Vue, but the battery replacement was going to kill me. I changed the batteries twice while it was still under warranty so I decided to sell the car before It was on my dime.

The only vehicle I ever used with start-stop was a gas powered golf cart...lol...great idea and worked good on that....Staying away from it for as long as possible in regular car...

My neighbor has a new Traverse, and they hate the start stop. They mentioned it is worse when running the A/C...It will stop and start several times at a light just to keep the A/C running....The way they "defeat it" is putting the trans in neutral just before coming to a complete stop. Not fun...lol...

At a crowded red light I always hear several cars starting up when it's time to go...I still look around to see who's car may not move from being "stalled out"....lol...Oh well, technology marches on.....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions