Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-07-2018, 11:35 AM   #1
CTATE

Drives: 2010 Black M6 Camaro 2SS/RS
Valve slipped while replacing valve springs NEED HELP

Ok, so I started the cam swap on my Camaro with some buddies and I was going by the how to thread on here that is incredibly detailed. Unfortunately I encountered problems with the crank pulley and then the oil pick up tube. Eventually, we got the cam installed the new chain on and everything and went up top to swap the valve springs keep in mind this was day 3 and I was already exhausted from being at work earlier. Long story short I missed the part about cranking the engine over as I removed springs and I dropped a valve, well it slipped down into the guide and I can still see it. I went and bought a pin magnet tool but no luck its not strong enough to pull it up. So can anyone give me some solid advice how to push this valve back up without pulling the head as it hasn't actually fallen into the cylinder.
CTATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
just turn the motor(all plugs out?) over SLOWLY with the ratchet on the crank bolt...this happened to me also TWICE...so I had two heart attacks ROFL...in my case the valve tip must have been slightly mushroomed causin it to hang in the guide...the piston pushed it right back up pretty as you please....WHEW!

good luck!

peace
Old 08-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
CTATE

Drives: 2010 Black M6 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
just turn the motor(all plugs out?) over SLOWLY with the ratchet on the crank bolt...this happened to me also TWICE...so I had two heart attacks ROFL...in my case the valve tip must have been slightly mushroomed causin it to hang in the guide...the piston pushed it right back up pretty as you please....WHEW!

good luck!

peace
Whew man that makes me feel better I wont breath a sigh of relief until I get home and successfully do it but that makes me feel a lot better hearing that worked for you. Did you put compressed air in the cylinder when you were turning the motor or just turned turned the motor alone?
CTATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #4
Synner

Drives: cars
Yeah one dropped on me too. Had a light magnet to help guide it but super super slow turnover and up and out. No air, spark plugs ALL OUT so easy turnover.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:04 PM   #5
Russell James

Drives: two 5ths and a 1st
Watch the stem as you are slowing moving the crank. You don't want the valve to fall farther in. If the valve is going down, turn the crank the other way. Very slowly. Maybe even a squirt of oil down the valve guide so it doesn't gall with the funky angle the piston will be pushing on it. When the valve get's nearly all the way up, put the rest of the plugs back in and hit that cylinder with compressed air, and hold the pressure until the spring and keepers are back on. If you put compressed air to it with all plugs out, motor will spin. I use a hose from a compression tester and a quick disconnect to my compressor line to pressurize the cyl.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
Sinister10

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Agree with all of the above.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:47 AM   #7
P1100

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Stack up a couple of 1 in square rare-earth magnets. The pull and wiggle, a bit of oil is a good idea. Might work.

They are amazing, cannot separate by hand. You have to slide them off each other.

Strong suction like a compressed air brake bleeder might also work. Use a rubber hose, 1/4 inch?
P1100 is online now   Reply With Quote