Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #197
bbktech2

Drives: 1937 Ford
@poormanscamaro...You sure were!! I'm so sorry about that! (come on Man!! read what's written)
Instructions do come and I try to be a complete as possible when I write them. I usually sit down and write them up right after I've done the fitment of the products. That way it's fresh in my mind and I can go back and review the steps by looking at the car. I also try to list all the tools required to do the job at the top of the instruction sheet.
As for the torque specs of the headers, in my 30+ years, I've always gone tight, then a little more. GM states that the exhaust manifolds should be torqued to 11 then 18-20 ft lbs. Header bolts should really be tight, then after a few hundred miles and a few heat cycles, be checked and/or retightened. I've always been one to use a small amount of hi temp silicone on the header flange side of the gaskets too. Of the two mating surfaces, that's usually the one that could cause leaks later.
A normal guy with a normal 6-7" long, 3/8" drive ratchet and short extention is usually going to end up about 30 or so ft lbs when tightening a bolt tight.
bbktech2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #198
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbktech2 View Post
@poormanscamaro...You sure were!! I'm so sorry about that! (come on Man!! read what's written)
Instructions do come and I try to be a complete as possible when I write them. I usually sit down and write them up right after I've done the fitment of the products. That way it's fresh in my mind and I can go back and review the steps by looking at the car. I also try to list all the tools required to do the job at the top of the instruction sheet.
As for the torque specs of the headers, in my 30+ years, I've always gone tight, then a little more. GM states that the exhaust manifolds should be torqued to 11 then 18-20 ft lbs. Header bolts should really be tight, then after a few hundred miles and a few heat cycles, be checked and/or retightened. I've always been one to use a small amount of hi temp silicone on the header flange side of the gaskets too. Of the two mating surfaces, that's usually the one that could cause leaks later.
A normal guy with a normal 6-7" long, 3/8" drive ratchet and short extention is usually going to end up about 30 or so ft lbs when tightening a bolt tight.
thanks for the feedback!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #199
Rich De Young

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro
My Exhaust is complete. BBK + Cats+ DUAL TIP Mufflers....Best is, I still have the stock resignators still on. Gotta here this exhaust, its a Monster.

On a cold start, All I could do is laugh when they started it up.

I really have to post a New Youtube link tomarro night. 1) start up. 2) Idle. 3) 0-65.
Rich De Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #200
G.

Drives: 10 LT2 RS
Good stuff man. a monster eh? I like it! So, you have the Bbk/hf cats.....and then what goes the rest of the way. what you got for mufflers.
Yo
G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #201
ron8879

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS
hoping to see a pic still of these installed...prefer from the top of the engine without the cover on
ron8879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #202
camaro guy

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
BBK LT headers on their way!! From BBK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbktech2
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro guy
hey hows the longtubes coming along. a member on here says his shipped june 2nd. is that possible or everyone have to wait till june 18? thanks rob
He's absolutely right, Rob...I just checked with our Shipping Manager and he said ALL dealer orders were filled and shipped on the 1st and 2nd of June!!! He said your headers are on a UPS truck headed your way as we speak!!!
camaro guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #203
WHIPPLECHARGED

Drives: 2011 1SS
Got home from work and to my surprise, I found my BBK LT ceramics sitting in my garage. I ordered them from Jegs last week and they told me it would take 4 weeks to get them. Guess it only took 1 week . They had them shipped direct from BBK in CA. Can't wait until Saturday to install. Will post some pics of the install and try to get some sound videos for those who are interested.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #204
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
GRRRRR i'm still waiting on mine for the v8.. :( supposed to ship from JEGS on monday...but they keep pushing the date back :(

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #205
D Vegas

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS VR,1978 VW BUG CV
Think I might swap my JBA's for a set not a fan of the hardware that came with the shorties, should have waited for more options.
D Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #206
camaro guy

Anyone get fedex tracking? Jegs didn't give me any. Just said shipped.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #207
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro guy View Post
Anyone get fedex tracking? Jegs didn't give me any. Just said shipped.
i'm at work. i'll check my email when i'm off. although i didn't go through jegs. mine were supposed to be shipped yesterday or today.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #208
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
i'm at work. i'll check my email when i'm off. although i didn't go through jegs. mine were supposed to be shipped yesterday or today.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87666
Old 06-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #209
camaro guy

installed mine today. ran into some snags. o2 sensors had to be heated with a torch several times to come off so keep that in mind. rear o2 sensors dont reach so you must detach the plug from the transmission and pull the wiring harness further back across the transmission to plug in. my o2 sensor extensions were the wrong ones so i had to modify with a knife. (the plug has little notches that match up and the supplied part has opposite side notches. just slice a small notch in the correct side of each plug.) oh and DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!!! I ignored that part and when the driver side manifold was getting dropped. the gasket rubbed the starter and sparked and burnt the gasket. i had some setbacks like trying to find my flashlight, forgot to get antiseize, waiting for a friend to get the torch, talked to neighbor for awhile.

did about 2 hrs of actual work, but start to finish was 8. no lifts or power tools. just some wrenches, a floor jack and some elbow grease.

sounds good at idle. my viper buddy said he loved the sound. take off is raspy. anything over 2k rpm is raspy. but loud and mean! idle video tomorrow
Old 06-07-2010, 11:29 PM   #210
PoorMansCamaro

^ what a coincidence! I installed mine too! Same problem you had with cutting the connector and my passenger rear sensor not reaching. All I did was cut a zip tie and it reached.
I love the sound and can definitely feel it on the top end!