Old 02-28-2017, 09:26 AM   #323
benplace

Drives: 2012 Cadillac CTS-V
Grill

But that front end....
benplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #324

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I offer this for the canard-aero theme...lol...

Name:  Creature4.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  205.7 KB
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:02 AM   #325
speedyman
Account Suspended

Drives: ATS4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I offer this for the canard-aero theme...lol...

Attachment 854441
And this guy!
Attached Images

speedyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #326
ZL1Goals

Drives: 2006 Vw Gti Apr Stg 2
i love the fact that were able to stuff such wide wheels and rubber under the zl1 1le. I want to be able to run a 325 rear but on a 20inch wheel if possible. i know zl1 tommy put some new wide rubbers on but im not sure what the specs are.
the more grip on a zl1 the better
ZL1Goals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #327
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
And this would be the reason I would want the M6 for the track, this same type of behavior I've seen on other automatics I've driven with paddle shifters, from true DSG transmissions to just adding manual mode for an automatic. At least when I have a manual, I know it will stay in the gear I want. I think for drag racing, there is no comparison to the automatic.

From Car and Driver:
"The sheer number of gears removes a lot of the joy from manually paddling through the cogs. Not to mention that downshifts in this mode feel significantly slower and clunkier than when the gearbox is left to its own devices. Engineers did attempt to address the tedium of toggling through six or seven or ten gears by writing code that jumps to the lowest possible gear when you hold the left shift paddle, but we found the system to be wildly inconsistent. Sometimes the downshift was nearly instantaneous. At other times, whole seconds passed before the shift occurred. And sometimes, inexplicably, there was no shift at all, no matter how long we held the paddle."

Complete article:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mag=cdb&dom=fb
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #328
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
And this would be the reason I would want the M6 for the track, this same type of behavior I've seen on other automatics I've driven with paddle shifters, from true DSG transmissions to just adding manual mode for an automatic. At least when I have a manual, I know it will stay in the gear I want. I think for drag racing, there is no comparison to the automatic.

From Car and Driver:
"The sheer number of gears removes a lot of the joy from manually paddling through the cogs. Not to mention that downshifts in this mode feel significantly slower and clunkier than when the gearbox is left to its own devices. Engineers did attempt to address the tedium of toggling through six or seven or ten gears by writing code that jumps to the lowest possible gear when you hold the left shift paddle, but we found the system to be wildly inconsistent. Sometimes the downshift was nearly instantaneous. At other times, whole seconds passed before the shift occurred. And sometimes, inexplicably, there was no shift at all, no matter how long we held the paddle."

Complete article:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mag=cdb&dom=fb
I read that too, and I am not sure I totally agree, and here is why. When I went to an HPDE with my SS A8, I put the transmission in auto mode for the first two sessions, and then I shifted manually with the paddle shifters in the last two sessions. So lets talk about full auto first:

In full auto the car goes into a performance shift mode automatically when it senses you driving aggressively. But at an HPDE, I found myself getting behind a slower car for a bit, and the trans would drop out of the performance mode. Then I had to pass the guy and drive aggressively again to get it back into the performance shift mode. I would prefer that we could set the performance mode manually one way or the other. Once in performance shift mode, the trans is very intelligent and shifted perfectly. No searching for gears, no getting into too high a gear in the turns. It worked great. But we need a way to force whether the car is in performance shift mode or not.

Now, let's talk about manually shifting with the paddles. On a road coarse, I never had to use more than 4 gears. And really think about it. When on a road coarse are you ever going to need to drop more than one gear at a time? Never. Just like when you are driving a manual, you downshift one gear at a time as you are slowing down keeping the revs in the right range at all times. You do this to help engine brake a bit also. You don't keep it in a high gear forever, then try to downshift a bunch of gears at once. Also, I never experienced any differences in the time it took to shift after hitting the paddle, because I was not trying to downshift several gears at a time. So the shifting was perfect at all times. The only trouble I had was my own mistakes. I did hit the rev limiter once, and I left a turn in too high a gear once or twice, but those were my mistakes, not the transmissions.

Overall, I would use the automatic in manual mode if/when I do more HPDE's. It worked better, and it was more fun too. Now, if they fixed the issue I described above, then I may use full auto mode more often, or if I do some events where I am not being held up by slower cars.

BUT, some guys love to shift a manual transmission. One guy said that shifting was about 70% of the fun of driving. In that case, get the manual of course. But for me, I can go either way. I find shifting a manual fun at times, but not very challenging. Heel/toeing is more challenging, but it gets tedious. And I hate shifting in traffic. Boring and tedious. If my Camaro was strictly for the track, or if the auto trans sucked, I would be tempted to get a manual. But since this is my daily driver and the auto is pretty awesome, it is the auto for me.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:54 PM   #329
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvr6 View Post
I am curious since I have not seen any 1LEs in red hot...when you get a chance, do you mind posting in red hot?
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:09 PM   #330
chrisvr6

Drives: suzuki
posted them here

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=283
chrisvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:06 PM   #331
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
I read that too, and I am not sure I totally agree, and here is why. When I went to an HPDE with my SS A8, I put the transmission in auto mode for the first two sessions, and then I shifted manually with the paddle shifters in the last two sessions. So lets talk about full auto first:

In full auto the car goes into a performance shift mode automatically when it senses you driving aggressively. But at an HPDE, I found myself getting behind a slower car for a bit, and the trans would drop out of the performance mode. Then I had to pass the guy and drive aggressively again to get it back into the performance shift mode. I would prefer that we could set the performance mode manually one way or the other. Once in performance shift mode, the trans is very intelligent and shifted perfectly. No searching for gears, no getting into too high a gear in the turns. It worked great. But we need a way to force whether the car is in performance shift mode or not.

Now, let's talk about manually shifting with the paddles. On a road coarse, I never had to use more than 4 gears. And really think about it. When on a road coarse are you ever going to need to drop more than one gear at a time? Never. Just like when you are driving a manual, you downshift one gear at a time as you are slowing down keeping the revs in the right range at all times. You do this to help engine brake a bit also. You don't keep it in a high gear forever, then try to downshift a bunch of gears at once. Also, I never experienced any differences in the time it took to shift after hitting the paddle, because I was not trying to downshift several gears at a time. So the shifting was perfect at all times. The only trouble I had was my own mistakes. I did hit the rev limiter once, and I left a turn in too high a gear once or twice, but those were my mistakes, not the transmissions.

Overall, I would use the automatic in manual mode if/when I do more HPDE's. It worked better, and it was more fun too. Now, if they fixed the issue I described above, then I may use full auto mode more often, or if I do some events where I am not being held up by slower cars.

BUT, some guys love to shift a manual transmission. One guy said that shifting was about 70% of the fun of driving. In that case, get the manual of course. But for me, I can go either way. I find shifting a manual fun at times, but not very challenging. Heel/toeing is more challenging, but it gets tedious. And I hate shifting in traffic. Boring and tedious. If my Camaro was strictly for the track, or if the auto trans sucked, I would be tempted to get a manual. But since this is my daily driver and the auto is pretty awesome, it is the auto for me.
Agreed, most times you only have to drop a gear, but really depends on the road course. There are a few where you have a high speed straight then have to drop a few gears for a corner (turn 5 and turn 12 at Road America, depending on how fast you are on the straights)
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:49 PM   #332
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
Agreed, most times you only have to drop a gear, but really depends on the road course. There are a few where you have a high speed straight then have to drop a few gears for a corner (turn 5 and turn 12 at Road America, depending on how fast you are on the straights)
Watkins Glen from turn 11 to 1. High speed straight goes to a 90% right. Nothing gradual about that and you have to drop more than one gear or have people run all over you. ps. also one of the reasons some people want an A10. Get this wrong and you could blow an engine, by over revving the engine.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #333
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Just got the Hero Card from my dealer. Unsure if this has already been posted, but here goes:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ZL1-1LE.pdf (5.81 MB, 336 views)
Old 02-28-2017, 05:41 PM   #334
Macaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Very cool, I've not seen that yet. Confirms the PDR is optional.
Macaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:18 PM   #335
artsbest

Drives: ZL1
All of this in a time when muscle car sales are not good. Plus GM had to shut down the Corvette plant for 3 months. Forget their retooling excuse the Vette's aren't selling. Neither are the Camraos. Both had a 170 day supply inventory just recently. So why a $80K Camaro? I don't get it.
artsbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:21 PM   #336
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
Just got the Hero Card from my dealer. Unsure if this has already been posted, but here goes:
That would be a great poster.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote