Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-13-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
The Center Console Lids Too? Another Recall?!!

GM Press Release:

DETROIT – General Motors will recall all current generation Chevrolet Camaros because the lid of the center console can rapidly snap shut when closing, potentially injuring the driver or passenger.

The issue, which may primarily affect drivers sitting in the car (not outside the car), was discovered by GM during internal testing following the ignition switch recall earlier this year, which prompted extensive testing of everything in the car.

“Discovering and acting on this issue quickly is an example of the new norm for product safety at GM,” said Jeff Boyer, vice president of GM Global Safety.

The Camaro console lid meets all GM engineering specifications and is unrelated to the ignition system used in Chevrolet Cobalts and other small cars included in the ignition switch recall.

GM is aware of three broken nails, four bruised pinky fingers, and two damaged ear drums (from the loud "SNAP" sound), that it believes may be attributed to this condition.

The company will change the Camaro console lid to a standard design and add foam bumpers to cushion any lid closure in both sound level and damaging sharp round plastic edges. There are 464,712 Camaros from the 2010-2014 model years in the U.S. included in the recall. Including Canada, Mexico and exports, the total recall population is 511,528.

Separately, GM also announced two safety recalls and one non-compliance recall involving a total of 65,121 cars in the U.S. all three of which were reported to the NHTSA on Wednesday, June 11, 2014. Including Canada, Mexico and exports, the total recall population is 69,839.

In all cases, customers will receive letters from GM letting them know when they can bring their vehicles into a dealership, where the recall repairs will be performed free of charge and courtesy transportation would be provided as needed.

THIS WAS SNARK JUST IN CASE
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
Highland Ranger

Drives: 2014 CRT Convertible ZL1
Funny. But wouldn't surprise me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Highland Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
And somebody will SUE them of course.
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
LuSe4

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Lol!
Old 06-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Sometimes if I forget and leave my wallet in my back pocket when I get in my Camaro it can be really difficult to get it out when I'm at the Starbucks drive-through. It's really dangerous to drive while fetching my wallet, so I hope GM can resolve this soon.

Sent from my Nokia Brick using Tapatalk
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #6
Camaro EMT
10,060 Miles as of 06/21

Drives: ‘10 2SS/RS, ‘17 Colo ZR2, ‘98 Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post

GM is aware of three broken nails, four bruised pinky fingers, and two damaged ear drums (from the loud "SNAP" sound), that it believes may be attributed to this condition.
I fell for this at first. I was thinkin' you've got to be kiddin' me? My next thought was that these people would be calling for an ambulance next.
"All bleeding stops eventually." Camaro EMT

Patient: “This is my first time in an ambulance.”
Me: “Mine too.” LOL

Camaro EMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:00 PM   #7
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I really do hope all this nonsense at some point soon realizing you can't idiot-proof any automobile. The serious recalls, okay, yes, key fobs........................uh.................NO! !!
Old 06-13-2014, 11:16 PM   #8
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Ha-Ha !!!

I wish GM would recall all the thin azz paint on our cars.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:22 AM   #9
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
I wasn't surprised ..glad it was a joke.. kinda getting silly, next car buy will probably involve signing a waiver lol..
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:25 PM   #10
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs2lt View Post
I wasn't surprised ..glad it was a joke.. kinda getting silly, next car buy will probably involve signing a waiver lol..
You are probably right. I bet this delays the 6th gen roll out a while, they are going to go apechit testing all kinds of stuff now.

On a business side, GM was not well run anyway. I fear this is going to push them to the limits of staying in business. That sucks, I love the Corvette and Camaro's!
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #11
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
I went to TWO different Dealers and they Knew nothing about any recall! Thats what I was told ??????????????????????
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote