Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-27-2022, 05:45 PM   #1
The Flash

Drives: Firebird 95, Equinox 05, Camaro 2SS
How can I disable my 2010 2SS electronic Driver Seat?

I've had it with autoshops!

Every time I take my car for a service, no matter how simple, the first thing they do is change the set up of the driver's seat.

It can be a brake pad swap, or a basic scanner tool check&diagnostic, both of which take mere minutes: it doesn't matter... they will change the driver's seat set up.

The seat is always moved back to its full or almost its full travel length and the back rest is also tilted back to a ridiculous angle.

And to add insult to injury, almost every single time when I confront them about this and demand to see the guy who was servicing the car... it was a small guy, way, way smaller than me.

Why the hell does a 1.55mt fella needs to dial back the seat for?

I'm 1.75mt and I could understand if the seat was moved closer to the pedals and steering wheel to help a person with shorter limbs reach those controls properly. But that's never the case - its always dialed back.

It's like they have an ego problem... Well, I'm not paying to become anyone's shrink!!!

I have to spend many drives and several minutes each drive afterwards to get it back to its proper settings.

I have resorted to leave a note taped to the inside of the windshield and the dashboard expressly asking the seat not to be moved, but to no avail.

I'm thinking that there must be one fuse or relay that can be taken out and will just disable the seat and nothing else, so there cannot be anymore fuss with that.

Any ideas or help with this issue is appreciated.

Also if there is a similar way to disable the entertainment center I do have use for that. I always remove my CD's and my USB before taking the car to a service, and once I had to drive back to the shop to deliver a CD of obnoxious music which certainly wasn't mine.
Old 11-27-2022, 10:35 PM   #2
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Think your going to the wrong place for service…
Old 11-28-2022, 01:14 AM   #3
HellerW
Rly_Slw_Maro

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS
I'm not sure if this helps but it worth a try. I found the fuse diagrams and found the fuse location of the fuse connected to the driver's seat. I'm sure if you pull it it won't work.

Insta: @rly_slw_maro.
On a mission to have the best v6 Camaro out there!
[/COLOR]Mods: ARH Catless Downpipes, Magnaflow Resonated X-pipe, Trifecta Tuned, VIS Racing Terminator GT Carbon Fiber Hood, ZL1 Addons Wickerbill Spoiler, Hero Smoked Taillights, Blacked Out LED Sidemarkers, Ikon Motorsports 6th gen ZL1 Style bumper.
HellerW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 02:41 AM   #4
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
maybe they do it on purpose cuz they don't like you??
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 06:30 AM   #5
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
idk man, doesnt seem like a big deal to me. id rather the person who has to drive my car be comfortable and be able to reach everything to avoid any "incidents". Its definitely annoying to reset the seat but I mean, thats 5 mins of my time and then im on my way. The music thing... yeah, that would annoy me. I also have dash cams in everything I own so i have that for piece of mind as well.

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:13 AM   #6
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Seems kinda petty but what ever… as for the seat… you could just unplug the seat harness where it comes thru carpet to the seat….
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:18 AM   #7
HellerW
Rly_Slw_Maro

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Seems kinda petty but what ever… as for the seat… you could just unplug the seat harness where it comes thru carpet to the seat….
Usually I don't like unplugging wire harnesses that have airbags unless the battery has been disconnected for at least 15 minutes but to each their own

Insta: @rly_slw_maro.
On a mission to have the best v6 Camaro out there!
[/COLOR]Mods: ARH Catless Downpipes, Magnaflow Resonated X-pipe, Trifecta Tuned, VIS Racing Terminator GT Carbon Fiber Hood, ZL1 Addons Wickerbill Spoiler, Hero Smoked Taillights, Blacked Out LED Sidemarkers, Ikon Motorsports 6th gen ZL1 Style bumper.
HellerW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:21 AM   #8
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
Think your going to the wrong place for service…
For warranty & serious service I always go to the dearlership where I bought it. It's the official CHEVY dealership in town. They're as bad as everyone else.

For minor issues (tire changes, oil changes, etc.) I use any one of the three major national service chains... same story.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:23 AM   #9
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletalk View Post
maybe they do it on purpose cuz they don't like you??
Very helpful @bottletalk, very helpful indeed.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:29 AM   #10
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellerW View Post
I'm not sure if this helps but it worth a try. I found the fuse diagrams and found the fuse location of the fuse connected to the driver's seat. I'm sure if you pull it it won't work.

@HellerW -- Many, many thanks for this. I will try it out next time and post how it went.

I do appreciate you took your time to research this... most appreciated indeed.

Last edited by The Flash; 11-28-2022 at 11:20 AM.
The Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:53 AM   #11
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Virtually everything beyond an oil change takes a scanner/diagnostic tool. They are probably letting the seat back to allow room to work.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 11:07 AM   #12
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arogg View Post
idk man, doesnt seem like a big deal to me. id rather the person who has to drive my car be comfortable and be able to reach everything to avoid any "incidents". Its definitely annoying to reset the seat but I mean, thats 5 mins of my time and then im on my way. The music thing... yeah, that would annoy me. I also have dash cams in everything I own so i have that for piece of mind as well.
@Arogg, That would make sense if they had to drive the car to test it, but it happens even with servicing that doesn't require that, like an oil change or a spark plugs change.

I'm normally around waiting for the service to be finished so I end up driving the car into the elevator and backing it out of it.
And even then, it happens.

Most shops ask you to stay away from the service area after loading your vehicle into the elevator ramp due to requirements from their insurance carrier, so its hard to stay there next to the car and prevent them from moving the seat even for these very small & quick services.
But I'm close by where I can see the car, at least partially, in the repair bay/service area

Also, I don't want a young mechanic succumbing to the temptation to take a quick spin in a 400+ hp/400+ lbs/ft muscle car and ending up over his head... literally. So I stick around.

I haven't had any real major issues to correct or repair which might call for a test drive, except for a clutch change which was done under warranty within the initial few months of owning the car. It was due to a clutch/plate misalignment during assembly. That's it.

In that instance there was a test drive (it was justified) and it was performed by the dealership's senior shop mechanic and his assistant. The assistant drove the car an he was a 6' something fella so moving the seat back was plenty justified too.

But largely, it happens everywhere regardless of the actual height of the mechanic (normally guys shorter than me) and without they driving the car anywhere.

That's why I'm so adamant about finding a sure fix manner to end this nonsensical "habit".
Old 11-28-2022, 11:19 AM   #13
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Virtually everything beyond an oil change takes a scanner/diagnostic tool. They are probably letting the seat back to allow room to work.
Just took it for a scan/diagnostic this past saturday due to an A/C maintenance work that was done during the week.

The owner of this shop is a Mechanic Engineer who was also trained and worked for G.M. for some years. I have been taking my cars to his shop for over 25 years.

He took less that 10 minutes to scan, record and the clear any trouble codes, I drove the car into the working bay and out of it myself and he had no need to move the seat at all.

Then again, this gentleman is a serious professional, really.

Incidentally, it was during the A/C maintenance (at another place) that they moved the seat again. That's one of the most reputable shops in town... I've been a client since the 90's. Know the owners (family owned) very well and I'll call them every time one of my cars goes in for service.

Most of the time they make sure the seat and entertainment sys. are not disturbed. Every now and then it happens with them too.

Old 11-28-2022, 11:25 AM   #14
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post

Like @HellerW wrote, I cringe at the idea of disconnecting the seat harness (which will be the easiest route actually) because of the odd chance that the seat airbag decides to act up and...

But I thank you for your time and the suggestion anyways.

Last edited by The Flash; 11-28-2022 at 03:31 PM.
The Flash is offline   Reply With Quote