Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-25-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
adub4185

Drives: 2010 2SS RS, 2023 Camaro ZLE
Send a message via AIM to adub4185
Anyone install a set of KW V1's yet?

Hey guys. I am looking to do coilovers in february and I need some feedback on the KW units and how the install went. I had my heart set on the Pedders xa kit, but the KW's seem very comparable and can be had for cheaper. However, I have gotten mixed information on the installation difficulty and can't seem to find a guide on it anywhere. I even tried contacting KW directly as they have a database of install guides, but never received anything back from them. I have read a lot of threads on the pedders and pfadt setups, but havent seen much on the KW's besides pictures of the units installed. I like the fact that the pedders kit can be done on jack stands with hand tools and I'm hoping that the KW's are the same way. Anyway, all input is appreciated and I am very open to any brand/kit. I do know that I want to do coilovers as I am fairly into road racing and want something with a good amount of adjustability. Thanks in advance!
adub4185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Mark-HD

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange SS
2010 Camaro SS, M6, MTI shifter and sway bars, GM quarter flares, Corsa catback, Roto-Fab CAI, 30% tinted windows, Lloyd's custom mats, Hawk ceramic pads, Pedders lower coils, Magnuson supercharger with 3.6 pulley, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Kook's LT's1 7/8 w/cats, Lingenfelter/SLP billet pedals, KW V'3 Coilovers, RevExtreme catch can, ---Ordered--- IconZ LS7 9 & 11" polished wheels!. Dyno'd 563.05 HP, 543.86 Torq.
Mark-HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
We installed a set of the KW Variant 3's on our Project TriloG Camaro for compatibility testing purposes and can't say enough good about them. The quality and fit was great, definitely no complaints there. As for installation ease, it really doesn't matter whose coil-overs you go with, the installation will be basically the same. The KW's can also be installed in the driveway using simple hand tools. The only specialty part you will need is an outside spring compressor like what is shown here. You can usually pick one of these up at your local auto parts stores for around $30 or even rent them for less.

In the rear, you simply remove 4 upper bolts and one lower and the whole assembly comes out of the car. Compress the springs, remove the center nut, then remove the upper mount. The KW coil-over hand assembles without any specialty tools and the kit comes with a spanner wrench for adjusting the spring collar.

In the front, you simply remove the top nut on the strut retainer, remove two bolts on the spindle, pop the upper strut mount out of the strut tower and that whole assembly comes out too. Compress the springs, remove the center bolt, then take off the upper mount. The KW coil-over hand assembles like the rear.

Nothing too complicated, basically a good weekend job then off to the alignment shop!
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
adub4185

Drives: 2010 2SS RS, 2023 Camaro ZLE
Send a message via AIM to adub4185
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR guy View Post
We installed a set of the KW Variant 3's on our Project TriloG Camaro for compatibility testing purposes and can't say enough good about them. The quality and fit was great, definitely no complaints there. As for installation ease, it really doesn't matter whose coil-overs you go with, the installation will be basically the same. The KW's can also be installed in the driveway using simple hand tools. The only specialty part you will need is an outside spring compressor like what is shown here. You can usually pick one of these up at your local auto parts stores for around $30 or even rent them for less.

In the rear, you simply remove 4 upper bolts and one lower and the whole assembly comes out of the car. Compress the springs, remove the center nut, then remove the upper mount. The KW coil-over hand assembles without any specialty tools and the kit comes with a spanner wrench for adjusting the spring collar.

In the front, you simply remove the top nut on the strut retainer, remove two bolts on the spindle, pop the upper strut mount out of the strut tower and that whole assembly comes out too. Compress the springs, remove the center bolt, then take off the upper mount. The KW coil-over hand assembles like the rear.

Nothing too complicated, basically a good weekend job then off to the alignment shop!
Thanks! I will also for sure be throwing in some BMR products while im digging around under there
adub4185 is offline   Reply With Quote