Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-12-2018, 08:20 AM   #1
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
What things do I need to consider for a ZL1 to be a daily driver?

Hi.

I'm considering a used ZL1 `13 or '14 as a daily driver.

I know my way around engines (testastretta, normally aspirated V-8 and turbo 4s) but nothing as complex and expensive as the ZL1's engine so I have a few questions for those that have put a lot of miles on their ZL1.

Aside from the regular consumables like tires, rotors, brake, pads, oil changes, tranny and diff service, what else do I need to be aware of in terms of maintenance and cost for a high mileage ZL1?

The supercharger adds another new dimension for me so I want to make sure I know as much as possible going in.

Thanks!
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #2
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
The intercooler is liquid-to-air, which has a separate sealed system from the engine block. So 2 different coolant flushes are necessary

Maintenance items that are expensive..

Tires
Gas (avg 14-15mpg)
front 2-piece rotors must be replaced not resurfaced
Mag ride shocks
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #3
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
^
The rear mag ride shocks tend to go out sometimes, even with low mi. Brakes and tires seem expensive to me but cheap if you compare to some cars Porsche BMW ceramics etc.

SC bearings can need to be replaced but rebuilding them isn't expensive relative to other cars and serviced items. Was it "jokerz" on here that offers to do it for $600 if you mail it to them? An extra belt for the supercharger. Not expensive.
Make sure the SC is serviced with dexcool coolant, often it is low or previously serviced with water which can freeze and cause $$ repairs.
I haven't put lots of miles on it but I feel it's more reliable than e.g. the electronic motor throttle bodies that are expensive and troublesome on BMWs and examples like that. It is not temperamental and less subject to failure than turbos sometimes are.
There are more comfortable and higher mpg sedans for racking up miles if that's what you are talking about, some on the road job. If you mean a DD and not garage queen understanding mpg is about like a truck or SUV then no problem.
Edit: I don't recommend adding headers because of added underhood heat for a daily driver. It mostly affects heat soak to the starter unless you put heat wrap on the starter and headers near it. Besides possible smog check issues it's an item you might rather not do for the hp gains unless you are looking for big hp numbers. Been there done that. I'd rather get my hp via e.g. e85 now.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:10 PM   #4
SecondZ28

Yes "Jokerz" does porting/rebuilding of the snouts.

Also search for posts from member "Vroom" on here, he has 150k+ miles on his ZL1

The 2012/13's have an extended 10 year warranty on the supercharger from GM
'87 GN
Old 05-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #5
Level300

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
The intercooler is liquid-to-air, which has a separate sealed system from the engine block. So 2 different coolant flushes are necessary

Maintenance items that are expensive..

Tires
Gas (avg 14-15mpg)
front 2-piece rotors must be replaced not resurfaced
Mag ride shocks
Wow. Today I learned something totally new. I didn't realize these had intercoolers. So may fun new things to learn.

What's your opinion on the mag ride shocks? Are they substantially better than traditional shocks designed for this type of application (HP Cars)?

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #6
Level300

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
Yes "Jokerz" does porting/rebuilding of the snouts.

Also search for posts from member "Vroom" on here, he has 150k+ miles on his ZL1

The 2012/13's have an extended 10 year warranty on the supercharger from GM
Thanks! I will check out his posts.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #7
Level300

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
^
The rear mag ride shocks tend to go out sometimes, even with low mi. Brakes and tires seem expensive to me but cheap if you compare to some cars Porsche BMW ceramics etc.

SC bearings can need to be replaced but rebuilding them isn't expensive relative to other cars and serviced items. Was it "jokerz" on here that offers to do it for $600 if you mail it to them? An extra belt for the supercharger. Not expensive.
Make sure the SC is serviced with dexcool coolant, often it is low or previously serviced with water which can freeze and cause $$ repairs.
I haven't put lots of miles on it but I feel it's more reliable than e.g. the electronic motor throttle bodies that are expensive and troublesome on BMWs and examples like that. It is not temperamental and less subject to failure than turbos sometimes are.
There are more comfortable and higher mpg sedans for racking up miles if that's what you are talking about, some on the road job. If you mean a DD and not garage queen understanding mpg is about like a truck or SUV then no problem.
Edit: I don't recommend adding headers because of added underhood heat for a daily driver. It mostly affects heat soak to the starter unless you put heat wrap on the starter and headers near it. Besides possible smog check issues it's an item you might rather not do for the hp gains unless you are looking for big hp numbers. Been there done that. I'd rather get my hp via e.g. e85 now.
Thanks for the tips SilverSleeper!
Old 05-12-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
silversleeper
Big Crow

http://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/4-en...r-rebuild.html
https://www.facebook.com/jokerzperformance/
I was close enough in off the top of my head, it's actually $450 for his rebuild. He seems to have a good reputation.
The mag ride is superior. It is sort of like a firm air shock in feel if you can relate to that. Sophisticated electronics adjust it for smooth or sport modes.
Upper end sports cars have moved to mag ride.
It is a fun car if you are a muscle car kind of person. The handling and power and even quietness is so far beyond the back in the day camaros chevelles novas mustangs torinos etc. The power is double and the boat handling is gone.

You might already know this but the whole drivetrain is upgraded from the other camaros. The transmission and rear end are up to truck duty specs. The driveshafts also. You don't hear of people having trans and drivetrain problems in the ZL1s even with 600 or 700hp.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #9
SecondZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level300 View Post
Wow. Today I learned something totally new. I didn't realize these had intercoolers. So may fun new things to learn.

What's your opinion on the mag ride shocks? Are they substantially better than traditional shocks designed for this type of application (HP Cars)?

Thanks!
That's the black "brick" you see on top of the engine. You wouldn't be making much power without it.

I've had Gen 1 mag ride shocks on a Corvette, and now Gen 3 on the ZL1. Very nice riding shocks, especially considering your running 20" wheels with no sidewall. In fact, they are so good Ferrari pays GM licensing fees to use them on their cars.
'87 GN
Old 05-12-2018, 02:06 PM   #10
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
^

If you want Headers just make sure you get a good ceramic coating, mine actual measure less heat than the OEM Exhaust.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #11
silversleeper
Big Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
If you want Headers just make sure you get a good ceramic coating, mine actual measure less heat than the OEM Exhaust.
That's impressive and interesting to note I will reconsider them in that case. I've dealt with heatsoak non-coated headers in older camaro's and the heat degradation to underhood stuff wasn't worth it. Since you brought it up care to mention your ceramic coat brand?
Old 05-12-2018, 04:46 PM   #12
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
I think I went with Jet Hot. The main thing is degree as it's a supercharged engine. Minimum 1800-2000' rating.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:58 PM   #13
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Other than routine maintenance there's really nothing to be concerned with in using a ZL1 as a DD...After I wore out the tires I put a set of BFG's Comp 2 A/S and haven't looked back...I also have a few minor mods that have made mine a wonderful DD...Good gas and regular oil changes, at 17,000 miles I have not had a problem...Really the hardest decision was whether or not I really wanted to use it as a DD and I'm glad that I made the choice to do so...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:29 AM   #14
Level300

Quote:
http://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/4-en...r-rebuild.html
https://www.facebook.com/jokerzperformance/

You might already know this but the whole drivetrain is upgraded from the other camaros. The transmission and rear end are up to truck duty specs. The driveshafts also. You don't hear of people having trans and drivetrain problems in the ZL1s even with 600 or 700hp.
I knew there were upgrades to the ZL1 with that big of a jump from HP numbers from the SS.

I was surprised at the number of automatics out there in a car like this. I wasn't expecting that. I was expecting to see tranny and diff problem posts but they were few and far between. That is some fine engineering at GM.