Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #15
AutoAgenda

Drives: 69 Camaro, 02 Escalade, 67 Eleanor
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Vararam does sell pre-cut brackets, at an additional cost I do believe.
True, an extra $30 for bracket.

$298.80 Shipped, Bracket Extra: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168204

Cold Air Inductions INC is also a solid option. PM for Price!
AutoAgenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #16
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post
Stieger, I appreciate the offer, let me see if I get one, and I will get back to you. Problem area is no darned garage, and it's gonna get cold soon! :-)

Thanks a ton!

Jim
Space heaters I did my halo install in the middle of January in my car port.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #17
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
TastyBake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyBake View Post
I think camarojim56's question is why not cut a hole out of the stock box as that's what many CAI kits look like.

Cutting a hole at the top/bottom does give the stock box more access to air like an aftermarket CAI kit. But a CAI get its benefit also from the oil filter. The theory is the air flows more free through the cotton. The dirt in the air sticks to the oil in the cotton unlike the paper which relies on the paper itself. This is why K&N sell the just the filter for the stock box for some cars for 5-6 hp gains. Along with the shape of the filter adds up to the 10 hp or so advantage.

Manufactures stick to a box shape so customers wont hear the sucking noise and get a quiet car.

So you can cut a hole in the stock box but you'll dirty the paper filter quickly and it will make sucking noise with no real gain in hp or torque.

Recommend then not cutting the box but get a CAI. There is a thread that had a chart showing the hp/tq differences. Me, i'm jst gonnamget one that looks good and works.
Thanks for the explanation, you dealt with the big question, that helps a lot to make me understand.

These aftermarket parts are so expensive, yes, I have the money, but I am a tight bastard.

Wish someone would have a good sale!

Thanks again for your explanation, was a big help.

Jim
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #18
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Space heaters I did my halo install in the middle of January in my car port.
yeah, townhouse here, no carport either!

Will get back to you if I decide to do it sooner rather than later. You are very generous.

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #19
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill @ CAI Inc View Post
Jim,

Our system is a breeze to install, can all be done from above, and requires no further modifying to complete. Heres a little bit more about our intakes:

Cold Air Inductions, Inc. intake systems benefits:

: Tig welded aluminum air box (high luster finish reflects radiant heat)

: Insulated air box (this adding another layer of thermal (convection) protection)

: Aluminum lid with stainless steel ¼ turn fasteners (fast filter removal)

: Viewing window for fast easy filter inspection.

: High Luster ceramic coated intake tube (coated inside and out, yet another layer of thermal protection)

: Smooth bore (88.9 mm) intake tube construction (this minimizes bends and restrictions within the system)

: 8” V-stack air filter with built in velocity stack (helps reduce turbulence for truer MAF reading)

: 8 layer air filter (maximizing filtration for prolonged engine life

: LIFETIME WARRANTY

We have sold thousands of intakes, have thousands of happy customers, and incorporate design features that make our system a true Cold Air Intake. We see great #’s on the Dyno as well as the track, and can keep our intake temps within 2 degrees of ambient air due to our design features.

Check out these links as well:

Testimonials Video - http://www.coldairinductions.com/testimonials
3D Filter Video - http://www.coldairinductions.com/air-filters/filters-in-action/

You also were asking about oiled vs non-oiled filters, read these article, I think you will find it very helpful.
http://thehorsepowerjunkies.com/gene...-your-vehicle/What Is The Best Air Intake System For The Camaro SS?

Let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to help!!
Thanks Bill, I appreciate the help. Got a Black Friday sale coming?

Thinking of yours and the Vararam, have some concersn with teh Vara though.

Jim
Old 11-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #20
Ocikat

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th convertible
I really like my CAI had one on my 11 and just installed one on my 12. They really are simple to install, if you can work a screwdriver, an allen wrench and a open end wrench or ratchet you can do it, a 20-30 minute install

Ocikat is offline   Reply With Quote