Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #43
Camarodriver2

Drives: FOR SALE! Bumblebee 1 of 1
I stopped to look at a new C7 and people were looking at my Bumblebee! I told the dealer that I get 4X more looks than a C7 at half the price! :-)
Attached Images

Camarodriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #44
PonyKiller74

Drives: 2012 Triple Black ZL1 M6
Send a message via AIM to PonyKiller74 Send a message via Yahoo to PonyKiller74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvici View Post
I bought a new 14 zl1 convert last month. I tell you the truth, honestly I think the car is amazing on power, and rather skimpy on quality. I believe the engineers put so much time and money onto developing the car, that they tried to make the money up on things like putting a plastic/rubber emergency brake handle in the car! Wrong move Gm, especially when they advertise the interior as all leather!. The seats are rather deceptively cheap too, they use some sort of inserts into the seats, and they call it leather, I do not believe the seats will last like they should, another poor choice Gm!. Do that on the SS, not on the 60K version!. I will also tell you after owning a 2013 Gt Premium Mustang, Loaded that cost me 40k out the door, I truely Miss it. The Zl1 has some fun cool features like Launch control, but how often are we using that?. Secondly the Camaro's navigation system is clumsy and awekward compared to the microsoft sync system in the mustang. So for an extra 25k you get the zl1 with an average 14 mpg? Bottom like more hype then delivery for the money. I looked at the c7, Gm really did put the quality into the interior on that one, so if you can live with the - rear seat, I would recommend that choice. Hope I helped.

Yup. and I know someone who also had a ZL1 and traded for the C7... I only have the SS and that option has been in my thoughts. That C7 is so hot
CenterForce DYAD Dual Disc Clutch, JDP stage 2 Clutch Reservoir, Rotofab CF CAI with Big Gulp and WW Reservoir Relocate, Stainess Works LT Headers and Retro Cat-Back with Cat Delete, MGW ST Shifter with custom Knob, CF Tail light Bezels, more to come...
Build Thread for my Z is in the works.....
PonyKiller74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #45

Drives: Getaway Special
90% of GM Auto Loans to Subprime borrowers….

Not casting any stones here, but some of the talk of so many cars being available and loan stress a possible issue may be true… and it may be across the entire line, not just ZL1……. So, it's not a ZL1 issue (if it is the issue, not saying it is, but if so, get some tissue)

Read for yourself… we may be in a Car Bubble according to GM. Like houses, may see a lot come back on the market. Is is true? Another CASH for CLUNKERS?
http://freebeacon.com/general-motors...g-auto-bubble/

http://jalopnik.com/5804969/gm-selli...rime-car-loans
Old 11-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #46
chain777

Drives: Slow
I had no idea their lending arm, GM Financial, was going down this slippery slope. You'd think they would learn from the past, but apparently not.

This snippet from the article linked above says it all:

"GMF has the riskiest lending portfolio of any major car company: 96 percent of its customers have credit scores below 660. GM’s lending habits parallel those in the housing market leading up to the 2008 crash…GM finished the year with 8.5 percent of loans in delinquency, the highest rate since 2010 and larger than the delinquency rates at Ford, Toyota, and Honda combined"

It may move cars off the lots today, but doesn't bode well for the future.
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #47
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
some people just want to say they have the latest and greatest car in their garage, even if they barely drive it. so when something new comes out they sell the old one and get the new one
AGM 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #48
snackbar64

Drives: SW 2017 ZL1, M6, Carbon, Nav, MR,
I think the ZL1 like the Corvettes will remain rather expensive used cars and hold their value in the used car market. The dealer may low ball us on these cars on a trade in, but they will go for significantly higher than a used low mileage SS and like the Corvette ZR1 I have never seen a used ZL1 for sale on a dealer lot. You just don't see them very often. History will be very kind to these cars (Z06, ZL1 and ZR1) when it's all said and done.

There has to be some value to the greatest, most powerful Camaro ever built. The ZR1 is also one for the history books. The ZL1 is 2 to 3 times the car it replaced in the 4th generation Camaro. I will go out on a limb and say it will not soon be eclipsed by a similar outrageous growth spurt in the 6th generation car.

Last edited by snackbar64; 11-06-2013 at 10:05 AM.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #49
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
ZR1 values are tanking. You can get one for mid 60s or less now. Corvettes don't' hold value at all. Give them 4-5 years and they are 50-60% of original price.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #50
snackbar64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
ZR1 values are tanking. You can get one for mid 60s or less now. Corvettes don't' hold value at all. Give them 4-5 years and they are 50-60% of original price.
That is because the cost of the car new is so high. 50% of the value new is still an expensive used car, that the average Joe just cannot usually swing. Therefore they will remain exclusive. I am seeing 2007 Corvettes going in the mid 30s on used car lots. That is pretty expensive even at half the price of new.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #51
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
^That and realize that there are a lot of vettes on the road. Once the "new model" magic potion wears off, no one will care about the first year vette. Do you hear any reverence or buzz talk about an '84 vette, or a '97 or an '05? All of these first year vettes have slipped into the valley of used car obscurity. Don't get me wrong, as corvettes are amazing. Its just the fact that the corvette is no longer the lone brainchild in terms of performance. The corvette has plenty of competition from domestic and foreign makes; Some of those cars can at least perform as well as the corvette and possibly hold a better resale value. Its just the cold hard facts of the resale market.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #52
omegaman

Drives: very poorly
Send a message via AIM to omegaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
...Once the "new model" magic potion wears off, no one will care about the first year vette. Do you hear any reverence or buzz talk about an '84 vette, or a '97 or an '05? All of these first year vettes have slipped into the valley of used car obscurity...
I agree with this analysis, too. However, special high-end model Vettes like the Z06, ZR1 will hold their value relative to the base model. This can be said of the Camaro with the ZL1 and Z/28. This makes your point: buy the special model ZL1 as opposed to the base model Vette.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #53
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
I agree with this analysis, too. However, special high-end model Vettes like the Z06, ZR1 will hold their value relative to the base model. This can be said of the Camaro with the ZL1 and Z/28. This makes your point: buy the special model ZL1 as opposed to the base model Vette.
Very true. Take a look at the '01- '04 z06's...especially '01 and '02. Their values suck, despite being great cars. They are holding their curret prices better though; a few years ago some of them were in the low 20's.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #54
snackbar64

The problem with the 04 ZO6 was Chevy gave the newly designed, base 2005 model C6 even more horsepower than it had.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #55
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
There will always be a ton of used ZL1s on the maket. There are more than 10,000 ZL1s in existence now. I wish they did it more like Ford and capped production at 4500-5000 a year. The GT500 should have better resale than the ZL1 because of this.
A GT500 with all the performance options lists for several thousand more than a ZL1. Most performance oriented Mustang buyers buy a 420HP Mustang GT with only a small number dropping the big bucks for a GT500. But here on Camaro5 it looks to me like every Camaro fan who can even marginally afford it buys a ZL1 instead of a 426HP SS (or sells or trades in their gen5 Camaro SS to move up to a ZL1). There are quite a few ZL1 buyers taking out big loans with big monthly payments in order to get a ZL1 over an SS. From what I see very few Mustang buyers do that (to get a GT500 over a GT).

(I'm basing this observation on what I see and read, as I own two Mustang Cobras, a GT500 and my '13 ZL1 and I participate on one Mustang forum and this Camaro forum.)
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #56
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Gov't shutdowns and other career effecting incidents.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote