Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-12-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Why did you buy your Camaro?? Tale of a Mid Life Crisis

Some jerk looked at my car this week and asked me if it was a mid-life crisis car. That got me to thinking... why DID I buy this car?

I am 53. I've had a job since I was 11 years old. That's 42 yrs of hard work, with no breaks. I got hitched when I was 24, and spent the next 24 years raising a family, buying a house, paying for college education, buying vacations for the family, keeping food on the table, paying bills.. etc. ...So, the kid graduated with a masters degree, the house was sold and a condo was purchased. I was driving a really nice pick up truck because it was practical. This winter, I had to go out of town to work and I had to rent a car. Alamo upgraded me to a really nice model. A Camaro convertible.

That was all it took! I flew back home, and, the next day, I drove to the Chevy dealer. I never asked my wife. I never told anyone. I traded the nice practical truck on a bright red SS/RS. For once, I didn't have to ask permission. I didn't have to buy a used one. I didn't have to buy a slow one because it was all I could afford. It is exactly the car I wanted, right down to the Recaro seats... and it still had the sticker in the window!

And if I want to make it loud, I will. If I want to make it faster, I'm gonna. If I want to do a burnout every morning, that's what I'll do. The only concession I made was the auto tranny, so the wife can drive it. So far, she refuses my offer of a key and I am glad..This is MY car and I earned it. (but that auto tranny was my butt saver in case things went wrong..lol)..

So, mid-life crisis car? Maybe. If it makes someone feel less jealous to call it that, then go ahead. To me, it's my reward car. It's my freedom car. I earned it.

...and it kicks ass.

Why'd you buy yours?
Old 01-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #2
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
Im 68, bought a new 68 SS/RS 396 4 speed when I got out of the Army.

All I read and heard about was the Camaro when I was in the service.

When the 2010 came out, I didn't like it, I think the big square exhaust turned me off.
but the more I seen of them the more I liked it..so I got one, probably my last hot rod.
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:23 PM   #3
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Love your story. I think I ended up with my SS because of mid life crisis. I had a 2LT carried me fine, was saving some money.

Then I have no clue what happened, In 2012 I ended up with another motorcycle (first Harley) and an SS Camaro.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:27 PM   #4
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
It's a Time to enjoy my retirement car......
Old 01-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #5
garyw

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS
nice post, you write well, what do you do for a living, just curious.

I change vehicles every 3 years and have done so for awhile. im always right side up and just enjoy the newer vehicles. EVERY vehicle ive had was a truck, Ford or GM and never even thought of having a car. Ive always like the camaros and thought it would be fun to have and drive but im a truck guy. Then for whatever reason, cant explain it i got the itch for a camaro and it was strong. Since i didnt have to have it i put more time into looking for a good deal, getting good trade etc.
Im very happy with it, it does rock, fastest thing ive ever had for sure and enjoy driving it everytime. Even when i bought my last truck, i hated to drive it, not because the truck but i just hate to drive. But since ive had this thing, damn, its so much fun and dont mind driving it ever.

im 47 and i guess the answer was i just wanted it and could afford to buy the model and options i wanted.

edit: and mine is an automatic because houston traffic is horrendous and i would turn into one of those stupid rage drivers with a stick.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:38 PM   #6
2010RSIOM

Drives: 2010 RS LLT M6
My present for surviving multiple combat tours for OIF & OEF....
2010RSIOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:41 PM   #7
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
i am 56 and bought my 2013 2 years ago when i was 54. no mid life crisis for me. i have a 98 firebird yet, and i had a 1986 camaro back in late 80s early 90s.
i just like these cars, and as long as i can see, hear, and drive , i probably will continue to drive one. i bought a vert this time, as i figured if i ever was going to get one, it better be now. i went with the V6 due to cost, gas mileage, etc. this car is fast enough for this old man!
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:48 PM   #8
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Well I didn't wait for mid life crisis age....

I'm 38, married with 4 kids ages 14, 11, 8 & 5.

I work hard as well and my wife supported my decision to upgrade from a V6 to a ZL1.

People who work hard and do the right thing deserve to enjoy the finer things in life.

Enough said.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #9
Cars and Tea
Banned

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
I bought it because...

...it is a V8

...it shits on the other 2x muscle cars in every performance test

...it has a crap ton of usable horsepower

...it is RWD

...Because Race Car
Cars and Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #10
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
I bought mine as a gift to myself for graduating with my masters degree in architecture and getting a good paying job in my field... All the people I know my age are buying new cars that are 'practical' for them, aka good gas mileage, room for their 30 kids, or something to get from a to b. So I did the same thing. Always been an American muscle car guy that loves driving so I bought my practical car.
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #11
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
There was no crisis (mid-life or otherwise) when I bought my Camaro at age 58. Call it a "second childhood" if you wish. I had just retired after a combined 31 year career of military (4 years active duty Army) and civilian (6 years with the Army, 21 years with the Marine Corps) service to the Department of Defense. I remember the first Camaro I saw (and rode in) in 1967 at the tender age of 14. I was in love with that car and it was all I wanted for years to come. However... school, marriage, children, a house, and travel for work all took precedence in the years to follow, so a Camaro didn't fit in with my plans. After 30+ years of paying life's bills and finally totally ridding myself of debt, I finally got my Camaro in 2012 (cash transaction). I started with a used 2012 1LT and 8 months later traded for a new 2013 1SS, which I still have. It was like falling in love all over again and I still get a rush every time I crank it up. After 45 years of waiting... my second childhood finally came around.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:41 PM   #12
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
My first car was a Camaro. My 2nd car a Trans-am. My third car an IROC. Then a long hiatus with kids, family, work, career. Had some free cash 6 years ago and bought another IROC and have restored / modified it over the last several years. Moved south 2 years ago and don't need a front-wheel drive car for snow anymore, but still needed fuel practicality driving 20-30k miles a year. Traded it in for a 5th gen V6. Just the nature of being me I guess. No mid-life anything. Just getting back to where I was in the first place.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:55 PM   #13
LOBBS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I've heard all the midlife crisis jokes as well since picking up my SS. I took an interest in American iron at an early age. My dad was a fan of second generation Monte Carlos and had a few during my childhood. I almost always received model cars for Christmas and my birthday growing up. I even took a paper route when I was 10 so that I could buy more and to have my own subscription to Hot Rod Magazine. I built model cars through high school but unfortunately my school work and part time jobs to save for college prevented me from having a hot rod then.

Entering adulthood, I was married at 21. We started a family and I took a career in Quality Control. The first seven years in plastics and the next seven in aerospace. I've worked more 50-60 hour weeks than I care to count so that my wife could be home with the kids. I kept my love of fast cars alive by taking up model building again as an adult. Mainly, pro-touring builds where I'd drop "crate" LS motors from Camaro and Corvette kits (and a surprising amount of aftermarket parts) and drop them in Chevy kits from the late 60's and early 70's.

With all the kids now in school and my wife looking to re-enter the job market, I took an opportunity to take the Quality manager position with Procharger. Shortly after starting, my high-mileage but until recently trusty '03 Durango blew the intake gasket for the second time. We began to look for a Grand Caravan to serve as another full-fledged family vehicle and I was to find a Cobalt SS to be my daily driver. A trip to a dealer just north of the metro changed those plans. We were there to test drive a van that fit our price range and mileage requirements but I could not help but notice the Inferno Orange Camaro parked in the middle of the showroom floor. I had mentioned several times over the years that I had every intention of buying a hot rod one day when the kids were older. The heat had been turned up a bit once I started at ATI. It was difficult, at best, to see all the blown cars not just in our fleet but of the employees there as well each day and not want one of my own. To make a long story short, after about 5 hours of negotiating we were able to work a deal on the Grand Caravan and the Camaro at a price that we were willing to live with.

Now, I just get a healthy ribbing on a daily basis from the guys there about how long it'll take me to get a blower strapped to my '10 2SS/RS. I'd like to get the drive line and suspension shored up a bit before laying down the extra power but that just brings on a bit more prodding with that response.
LOBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:05 PM   #14
Mersades
Web Geek Chick & NHRA fan

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 RJM
Simple reason: I have wanted a first gen Camaro since I was twelve. The gen 5 came out and I loved it just as much.

I hit the age and solidarity in my life/career that I was able to finally make the dream a reality. If I am going to be paying for a car, I want to love every minute I drive it.

I occasionally drive the rental when my hubby and I vacation, and it always makes me miss my car. She is perfect for me.